Slides stutter after lubrication of slide gaskets - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Arizona
Slides stutter after lubrication of slide gaskets

291RESL Kodiak with thay blasted cable system on both slides. Been working fine until I lubed all 4 sides of each slide seal today. Upon retraction it stutters like it's binding up every inch or so shaking the whole trailer. The kitchen slide was okay upon retraction, but when I pushed it out again, it too started to stutter.

I thought one of the seals was perhaps not flopping back over but on the sides top, they are leading me to believe whatever mechanism the slide rests on the bottom does not like slide seal lube. I'm hoping that when it cooks a bit with the heat all closed up, it might go away?

Anybody experience this?

TIA.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

radomcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:21 PM   #2

Tennessee
I've just seen pics of the cable system, but it does sound like it's slipping from over lubrication. I'll refrain from making the obvious joke. I'd bet it will quit with time.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #3

Arizona
Nope, cables are tight and pulling properly. I lubricated the rubber seals, not the cable system.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #4

Arizona
Just watched a Norco Accu-Slide manufacturers video and saw where I think my issue is. There are 2 support rollers on the bottom of the slide close to the slide walls. I bet slide lube got on those rollers causing the slide to "slip in" on the bottom until the top catches up, then slip again. Kind of like a slightly smaller box in a larger box getting bound up on each other if you don't pull exactly straight.

Thoughts?

Old 07-05-2017, 02:11 AM   #5

Texas
Hope your suspicions ring true and the remedy is as you hope.

But as far as slides go, I think I'd rather have the cable slides myself.

I could be wrong, but after reading nearly every post for more than the last year, the heartache caused by slides seems to be considerably less for cable based slides.

I could be wrong.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #6

Illinois
I would have to agree from the postings that the cables seem to cause less problems are repairs seem easier to fix. Only basing this on postings. I have the cables on all three of my slides and knock on wood, no issues.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #7

Texas
I guess another way to put it is IF your RV slide-room was properly manufactured AND properly installed AND the materials (wood products) are kept dry, the "cable system" has so much less sophistication......thus less to troubleshoot.

Personally, I'm an OVERsimplifier. I wish the sliderooms were built like a drawer with bottom mounted drawer slides and the simple slides were so robust that you went outside and grabbed a handle and just pulled the room out.

Then folded down legs that supported the cantilever weight.

Seems so simple. Less fuss.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by radomcarl View Post
291RESL Kodiak with thay blasted cable system on both slides. Been working fine until I lubed all 4 sides of each slide seal today. Upon retraction it stutters like it's binding up every inch or so shaking the whole trailer. The kitchen slide was okay upon retraction, but when I pushed it out again, it too started to stutter.

I thought one of the seals was perhaps not flopping back over but on the sides top, they are leading me to believe whatever mechanism the slide rests on the bottom does not like slide seal lube. I'm hoping that when it cooks a bit with the heat all closed up, it might go away?

Anybody experience this?

TIA.

I have lived this nightmare. I posted a while ago mentioning that same issue. Seems like you are in for a load of issues now. Good luck! they eventually "repaired" it by adding ROLLERS to support the slide (and yes, it is an accu-slide). they cut the seal off the trailer that goes under the outside of the slide and I am awaiting a replacement. In addition, the motors were loose which added to the issue and broke one of the cables (they said). Also, the slide itself was dragging on a nylon support near the outside of the RV. They attempted to replace that but failed miserably.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #9

Arizona
So the cable system itself is fine, are you saying you had a problem with the lube as I did?

I've been on and off the phone with BAL Accu-Slide and plan to clean the bottom of the slide and wear bar with alcohol then lube with ZEP in the yellow can as they suggest. I sure hope this takes care of it.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
So the cable system itself is fine, are you saying you had a problem with the lube as I did?

I've been on and off the phone with BAL Accu-Slide and plan to clean the bottom of the slide and wear bar with alcohol then lube with ZEP in the yellow can as they suggest. I sure hope this takes care of it.

What ever was the outcome ???
Old 07-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #11

Florida
Interesting Article in Trailer Life

Trailer life has an interesting letter on page 64 of the AUGUST issue. The title of it is SLIDEOUT-CABLE BLUES. This fellow has a 2016 Bullet Premier travel trailer mfg by (you guessed it), Keystone! Interestingly enough, it was under warranty and the dealership called Keystone. Keystone's comment was that they did not know why the slide jerked but they thought it would get better as he used it. They go on to discuss the nylon strip (that got destroyed on mine) and how adjusting the cables is the solution to the issue. Interesting read... but, there was another letter in the JUNE issue of Trailer life that referenced the slide jerking issue also. That article is referencing a 2016 Crossroads Sunset trail grand reserve trailer. At that time, Trailer Life did not have many suggestions. Get a copy of the August issue, it's worth the read just for the slide issue.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:37 AM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
What ever was the outcome ???
Haven't done it yet. It was impossible to find ZEP that they recommend. I have it now and hope to do it in the next week or so.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Haven't done it yet. It was impossible to find ZEP that they recommend. I have it now and hope to do it in the next week or so.

They mentioned NOT to use anything that would leave a residue since that portion of the slide is subject to dust and would cause more damage than a dry lube. They also mentioned rubbing it down after you apply it to remove any residual that may be there. Apparently the slide is meant to ride on that nylon piece.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
They mentioned NOT to use anything that would leave a residue since that portion of the slide is subject to dust and would cause more damage than a dry lube. They also mentioned rubbing it down after you apply it to remove any residual that may be there. Apparently the slide is meant to ride on that nylon piece.
Correct. You need a lube with PTFE in it at the least. That's why after talking to them and reading numerous posts here, I'm not going to use anything but what they say to use. Too bad it's impossible to get.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Correct. You need a lube with PTFE in it at the least. That's why after talking to them and reading numerous posts here, I'm not going to use anything but what they say to use. Too bad it's impossible to get.

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/Zep-Commercia...=zep+lubricant

That stuff is EXPENSIVE!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:15 PM   #16

Arizona
That's a case price and not what they recommend. R22001 is what they said to use

Old 07-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #17

Arizona
Quote:
That's a case price and not what they recommend. R22001 is what they said to use

Quote:

Photo attached. Contains TCE. Illegal in 100 countries!!! Going to make sure I have an organics based carbon respirator when I apply.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #18

Arizona
Okay, busy July and August and have been ignoring this issue. UPDATE... just as I hoped, having the unit sit for 2 months in the heat must have negated the silicon slide seal lube issue. Ran the slides out and one was flawless in both directions and the other had only a minor stutter which mostly went away after I cleaned the underside of each slide with denatured alcohol. Didn't press my luck and decided not to spray the Zep on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk