Slide-out maintenance and setup - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #1

Colorado
Slide-out maintenance and setup

Hi folks,

I'm going to upgrade my TT to a slightly larger size that will have a slide. Not sure which model yet though. So what do I need to know about preventative and regular problems as well as setup at the campsite? One specific question is do I level the trailer slightly higher on the slide side to compensate when extending the slide. All suggestions appreciated as I know nothing about slide-outs.

Thanks,
Dale

DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #2

Wyoming
Difficult to answer your question in any detail, because there are different slide out systems that are used. Cable & pulley or gear & track are just 2 examples, and each has it's own procedures.

One thing that is pretty much universal though is that it is recommended that you never extend or retract the slides until the coach is completely level. Doing otherwise puts extra stress & twisting torque on the frame, which could cause big problems getting your 'square' peg (the slideout) in or out of the 'square' hole.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

British Columbia
If you get the camper level and stabilized well it should stay level. It's when your one soft ground that you have problems with the trailer getting out of level.

On soft ground I put 2X8s under the tires and longer pieces of 2X under the jacks then put more pressure on them to get them settled and check for level again.

On the odd occasion I have found the trailer may have settled on the slide side, just releasing the jacks on the opposite side will bring you back to level so you can run it back in.

As Tom said the manuals say not to extend the slide until your level, some thing that a lot of RV dealers don't seem to have read. I've seen a dealer run a slide out when the camper was sitting on a slope with no stabilizers down. He didn't see a problem with it, after all it's not like it is going to be his long any way.

After a little practice you'll be able to get it ready to extend the slides just about as quick as with no slides.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

California
Dale
Like stated above you need to set up first & get your rig level. Now level to me is within 1/2 a bubble. Others might not agree but I have never had any slide problems on the (4) 5th wheels I have owned that had slides.
When I get a rv for the first time I put a bubble level in the frig & a long level on the floor. Once I get it level I install levels on the L/F corner of the street side and front side. I can then see the side to side level from my driver mirror. I get that level & then disconnect. I adjust the for/aft with the front jacks (don't have hyd. levers on my Voltage). I either turn on the generator or connect to shore power & wife opens the slides while I'm outside. I then put down the rear stabilizers and connect up to water. Might connect to sewer or might not, depends upon how long we are staying.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:14 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
DaleWhen I get a rv for the first time I put a bubble level in the frig & a long level on the floor. Once I get it level I install levels on the L/F corner of the street side and front side. I can then see the side to side level from my driver mirror.

The key to success.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote