Slide out Extension & Retraction w/ Hydraulic Leveling - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2019, 04:04 AM   #1

Wyoming
Slide out Extension & Retraction w/ Hydraulic Leveling

Ok, I posted this on the Facebook Voltage group page, but thought I’d post here too as food for thought & opinions.

This question for those of you with the 6-point hydraulic leveling jacks. It really doesn’t apply to anyone else, because the pressures aren’t as great with electric legs or manual systems.

So I’ve had my rig coming on 6 years now... and as a usual practice, after unhitching, I always level out my rig BEFORE extending my slides. When getting ready to depart... I retract the slides BEFORE I raise the nose gear, hitch up, and then fully retract all of the jacks.

This is how I was taught by other RVing friends before buying my own, and never thought much else about it. I also can’t say I’ve had any real issues doing it this way after all this time. So, why am I bringing it up?

Had an interesting discussion with a mobile tech a few weeks ago. I’d used the guy a few years before, liked his work, and had him come take care of a few little issues when I revisited the area again this spring. So what I’m saying is, the guy’s not a fly-by-night flunkie... he’s a professional who’s got a pretty good idea about what he’s doing.

Anyway, the work required us to relieve pressure on the front hydraulic gear, so I’d need to hitch up. I told him to gimme a minute while I moved a few things around inside to retract the slide, and he asked “Why are you dong that?” As I began to explain that I didn’t wanna leave it out while I raised the gear & flexed the frame... he just smiled. I stopped, and said... “Ok, obviously you don’t like that idea... explain it to me.”

He said he sees it all the time, and many times it’s why people have issues with their slides. His theory:

He said, think about it. When is the frame of your rig the straightest, and least stressed? Provided you’re on relatively level ground, and/or the wheels aren’t sitting in deep craters on one side... when it’s in a natural state, unsupported by any of the jacks. Any slight ground imperfections are absorbed by the suspension. However, when you unhitch and then begin the auto-level sequence... the hydraulic forces from the jacks begin exerting great pressures on the frame, with the sole purpose of getting the sensors (front-rear, side-to-side) level with each other... regardless of how that affects the integrity of the frame.

Ergo, according to him, the time when the frame is at its most natural, unstressed state, is BEFORE the rig is unhitched. A close 2nd is with the rig unhitched, resting on the front landing gear, and again, BEFORE the leveling sequence is begun. And therefore, that should be the time the slides are extended and/or retracted.

It’s an interesting view, and I’ve done a bit of searching on the web... but I’ve yet to find a definitive answer. Seen lots of opinions, from lots of different people, but nothing I’d call definitive.

So I’m curious... let me hear a few more opinions & theories. Do you retract your slides before or after... or, does it really matter to you?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

Arkansas
Hmm interesting I like you have always extended or retracted slides only when level BUT this theory actually makes sense I'm interested to hear others opinions and hear what other experts say

scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #3

Illinois
Makes sense, but on the other hand 6 years without an issue kind of speaks for itself also.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

Oklahoma
This question for those of you with the 6-point hydraulic leveling jacks. It really doesn’t apply to anyone else, because the pressures aren’t as great with electric legs or manual systems.

Would it not take the same amount of work and force to level the frame regardless of being raised by a motor or a ram or a gear?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:59 PM   #5

Texas
Very interesting. I also always level first with no problems in the past 2 years. I wonder what Dutchmen says. I can't seem to find a thing on auto levelers operation and sequence. Will be following close.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 AM   #6

Arizona
I level first because of the crappy Schwintec slides I have. When I'm setting up an RV show, I don't level the 5th wheels at all and the slides still work fine. Seems it really doesn't matter.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #7

California
Interesting concept but I still would rather have my 8 foot sofa slide moving in and out when the frame is level to the ground. Yes I could see some pressure on the frame but if the steel frame is level then I would think that is best.

Maybe the actual answer is that it really doesn’t matter either way but as all of us in here seem to level first I really don’t feel like changing my program.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Interesting POV from the tech. On Schwintec I think the manual calls for leveling first. I haven't had a unit with hydraulic slides so I can't say one way or the other.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote