Short Bed Solution. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2015, 01:17 AM   #1

North Carolina
Short Bed Solution.

I heard that Andersen 5th wheel hitch can be installed in a short bed truck and the RV corner will not touch the truck cab, thus allowing a 90 degree maximum turn (jack knife turn).

Is this true? If so, which model hitch do I need to install in my truck?

To be specific I am considering a Dutchmen Voltage which offers this trailer hitch attachment:

http://images.rvs.com/13263/439564/img_1929.jpg

Those who have experience please share your experiences so I can decide wisely . Thanks.

Sammy Benjamin
(sammyb@nc.rr.com)

sammybenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Ohio
I'm using a demo hijacker auto slide on my short bed. Works great.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #3

Texas
Most of the new fifth wheel trailers have indentations in the corners of the front cap allowing for the turning radius in short bed trucks without a slider hitch.

I towed a Heartland Torque with an advertised 88 degree turning radius with a B&W Patriot fixed rail hitch in a F250 short bed for over a year with no problems. The Voltage has the same type of front cap. If you are talking about an F150 with the 5.5 ft bed then I think you will need a slider.

I would check into this on the specific truck / trailer combination you intend to buy before going to the expense & hassle of a slider.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:06 AM   #4

Nevada
Sammybenjamin

I had a Chev 2500HD CC shortbed with a Husky Slider and never used the Slider, but I knew if I needed it, it was there on my Montana…I now have a Chev 3500HD Long Bed CC DRW and aV3895 which I had to make a 90% turn once and it made it but if I had my short bed, I don't know? The Slider does cost a lot more, so I would make sure its going to make it with a Reg. Hitch.
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #5

I use a Pullrite slider on my short bed F250. It is totally automatic turning forward or backing up and turning. Nothing to unlock or engage. It has to be one of the most simple sliders made and saves me lots of work in and out of the truck.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #6

Tennessee
It is true you can use the anderson with a short bed. However, there is more to consider. The ball on the hitch is offset a few inches from the center. Long beds tow with the ball offset towards the cab and shortbeds tow with the ball offset towards the rear. You said "shortbed" so I will assume its a srw. You also said "voltage" so I will assume you will be over weight on your rear axle or very close. With that in mind, by offsetting the load behind the center of the rear axle (which the anderson does in the "shortbed" position) you will only be making an overweight issue worse not to mention it will probably handle like crap goin down the road. I looked long and hard at the anderson thinking I might be able to use it offset to the front but I think it will be too close for tight maneuvers. I like it because it don't weigh much and its quiet.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #7

North Carolina
The indecision of buying a Truck and RV.

I am thankful to all those who contributed valuable information to my learning experience.

If I hear statements from RV campers; "I have seen too many dented cabs for my liking.", then the threat is real that the RV can damage the truck cab.

Too bad the RV and Truck manufacturers have not solved this basic problem which haunts every 5th wheel owner. I am spending tons of time and research effort to figure out what the right combination of the RV and Truck is going to be.

Becoming an RV enthusiast is harder than I thought. Almost makes me second guess if it worth spending all this money and going into debt to end up owning a big hassle.

There's no place where I can test all the available combinations. I don't want to be short changed in excess of $100,000 to find out I have three damaged items because the manufacturers choose not to do their homework,

- the RV,
- the Truck
- and my modest EGO .

Yours Truly,
Samuel Benjamin
sammybenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #8

Illinois
Just my humble opinion but I would buy the best you can afford. No one was ever sorry or said they wish they didn't buy something as good or nice. The short sight of buying cheaper sticks around a long time after the taste of getting a "good deal" is gone. Get the bigger truck and the nicest hitch you can afford.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammybenjamin View Post
Too bad the RV and Truck manufacturers have not solved this basic problem which haunts every 5th wheel owner.
I know you may not like the answers you've been getting.... but your statement above is incorrect. They HAVE solved the basic problem. You need one of 2 options:

1) A long bed truck will solve you problem, or...

2) A short bed truck with a slider hitch will solve your problem.

With any other combination, you won't be prohibited from towing... but you will be limited.

Period... end of story.

Not trying to be a smartass, but the problem is that you don't have the correct equipment for what you want to do... and that's not the RV & Truck manufacturer's fault. They both make the correct equipment. It's simply a matter of whether you choose to invest in it, or not.

I went though this same process when I was getting into the RV world. Lots of research, lots of discouragement, and finally acceptance.

My advise would be to buy a long bed truck... and if you wish to tow heavy trailers, buy a dually. If that is not within your budget... then stick with your short bed truck, but invest in the Pullrite slider hitch. Why Pullrite? Because even though it's a bit more expensive than other slider hitches, it's automatic and you don't have to think about it. You don't have to exit your truck and pull a lever before the hitch will slide... and then ensure that you re-engage the hitch before towing again.

Which ever way you go... I sincerely wish you good luck with your decision.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #10

Louisiana
I have a 2010 Ram 3500 Mega cab dually with a 6'3" bed. I went with the Pullrite Super Glide. I never have to worry about my cab and I have made a 90 degree turn with no problems. Forgot to mention I have a 2015 Voltage 3005
duckcomando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
When my husband and I finally decided on the 2015 Dutchman Voltage 3970, we traded in my 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie for a 2015 Ram 3500 Dually Diesel Laramie/Long Horn short bed and had the Curt R24 hitch installed in the bed of the truck. The Ram 3500 pulls that 44' RV as if there was nothing behind the truck. As for turning ratio, not a single problem. We have been in some tight turns and the RV's swinging ratio is unbelievable. At first we were very worried about jack knifing unit or possible flipping on it's side, but it has proven to be great in tight places.

Keyes is offline   Reply With Quote