Schwintek Replacement? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #1

Delaware
Schwintek Replacement?

Well I wen to the Hershey RV show today and of course I had to check out Aerolite to see what else changed for my model. As I was walking up, the first thing I noticed on one of the Kodiak's was the lack of the Schwintek system on the slide.

When I spoke to the Keystone rep and asked him about it he started with the interesting tidbit that it would be a company wide change. I asked if it was because of the all the problems with the Schwintek system. He said he didn't know of problems other than when people try to use it with 10 volts in their battery. He went on that they use the Schwintek in many of their units and that Winabego uses them. "it is a proven system". I told him I could give him multiple names of people who have had issues (with construction and installation) involving the system (some with issues two or three times). He really didn't have anything to say at that point except that each product (Voltage, Aerolite, Kodiak, etc.) have different designers, engineers, and parts procurement people.

I wonder if this mechanism will show up in other products.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:40 AM   #2

Nevada
Pass The Buck.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #3

Oklahoma
'nother one of those deaf and blind, bottom of the food chain , company boys just trying to make a living.

10 volts!!! The BS is flag is flying so high today.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
'nother one of those deaf and blind, bottom of the food chain , company boys just trying to make a living.

10 volts!!! The BS is flag is flying so high today.
Yes it was...

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 09-15-2014, 01:56 AM   #5

Indiana
These Sales reps are a dime-a-dozen. Oh ya, 'How can you tell if a sales rep is lying.........when he/she opens his or her mouth'.

I think there's enough proof on this forum of the number of Schwintek issues that have occurred.

If the "Sales Reps" haven't read this forum then they've 'stuck their ignorant heads in the sand'.

Shame on THOR for not making their subsidiaries responsible for their major mistakes that have cost the consumer (us the purchasers of these Dutchmen/Keystone RV's).

The people at THOR are the actual ***HOLES. Remember **it runs down hill.

The THOR jerks need to come out of hiding.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

British Columbia
And we are still waiting on the Dutchmen rep that had joined the forum and was supposed to interact with the owners.

Been what a year and I haven't seen anything yet.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #7

Oklahoma
All I have to say is money talks and bull**** walks, herein I offer the following proof.

I wanted to thank Thor Motor Coach for sending out Dean and Craig to repair my Palazzo Schwintek slide out problem so quickly. Not only did they repair the slide out, they also quickly identified the root cause of the problem being an improperly adjusted roller under the slide out at the rear. Dean took the time to explain to me what the problem was and how to check for signs of mis-adjustment in the future. Dean and Craig’s experience with these coaches and their excellent ability to properly repair these problems was evident in their demonstrated abilities. I know sometimes it can be bothersome for a customer to watch over a technician’s shoulder, but I never got the impression that Dean or Craig were bothered by me watching them do their jobs because the simply knew what they were doing. I was very impressed with their abilities and as an owner I even gained some knowledge in the process. These guys, in my mind, are the rock stars behind the problems some of us owners
experience because they understand how to properly repair them. These guys travel the country for us, your customers, and leave their families behind. I know they enjoy doing what they do because it shines through. If anything I hope this e-mail gives them the recognition they deserve.

This comes from irv2forums.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
All I have to say is money talks and bull**** walks, herein I offer the following proof.

I wanted to thank Thor Motor Coach for sending out Dean and Craig to repair my Palazzo Schwintek slide out problem so quickly. Not only did they repair the slide out, they also quickly identified the root cause of the problem being an improperly adjusted roller under the slide out at the rear. Dean took the time to explain to me what the problem was and how to check for signs of mis-adjustment in the future. Dean and Craig’s experience with these coaches and their excellent ability to properly repair these problems was evident in their demonstrated abilities. I know sometimes it can be bothersome for a customer to watch over a technician’s shoulder, but I never got the impression that Dean or Craig were bothered by me watching them do their jobs because the simply knew what they were doing. I was very impressed with their abilities and as an owner I even gained some knowledge in the process. These guys, in my mind, are the rock stars behind the problems some of us owners
experience because they understand how to properly repair them. These guys travel the country for us, your customers, and leave their families behind. I know they enjoy doing what they do because it shines through. If anything I hope this e-mail gives them the recognition they deserve.

Just wait a minute Robert, aren't these the same guys working on yours?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
Just wait a minute Robert, aren't these the same guys working on yours?

No way! I wish! Dean's Super Store RV in Tulsa is the only Dean I'm working with.

They damn sure didn't come to my door to look at my self destructing slide. That was 125 dollar charge from the mobile mechanic.

Dutchman Voltage owners are the bastard children of Thor Industries.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
No way! I wish! Dean's Super Store RV in Tulsa is the only Dean I'm working with.

They damn sure didn't come to my door to look at my self destructing slide. That was 125 dollar charge from the mobile mechanic.

Dutchman Voltage owners are the bastard children of Thor Industries.
Try being an Infinity owner. They don't even make our models anymore and the dealers won't even take them in trade.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:

Somehow I don't think two guys can make up for the crappy factory installation and the multitude of ham fisted untrained so called techs at the dealers all over the country. My local Airstream dealers has two RVIA Certified Master Techs, a Certified Tech and a couple of other guys, one is working on his certification, the other I don't know about. I asked at my local Camping World how many of the guys were RVIA Certified and got a blank look from the service manager... nuff said. FWIW I have looked into getting the certification and may yet.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Somehow I don't think two guys can make up for the crappy factory installation and the multitude of ham fisted untrained so called techs at the dealers all over the country. My local Airstream dealers has two RVIA Certified Master Techs, a Certified Tech and a couple of other guys, one is working on his certification, the other I don't know about. I asked at my local Camping World how many of the guys were RVIA Certified and got a blank look from the service manager... nuff said. FWIW I have looked into getting the certification and may yet.

Aaron
So true Aaron but if you're in the Thor Palazo Club sidewalk service seems to be top notch and well executed.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:02 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
So true Aaron but if you're in the Thor Palazo Club sidewalk service seems to be top notch and well executed.
And how much does Thor lighten your wallet to join.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #14

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
And how much does Thor lighten your wallet to join.
Dunno, but after this experience they shouldn't count on me to drop any bucks their way.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #15

Ontario
So did the rep say if these new system will be put on the new 2015 models or would this be an option from the schwintek? If so I may need to wait to order a 2015 model instead of a 2014 to avoid this slide issue.

Is this a cable system or a different style of a rack and pinion?
E.Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #16

Delaware
Didn't say. It was the only one I saw at the show and I even missed the cable system on the Voltage that someone else saw.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com