satellites, new question - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #21

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
If you can, install your own coax run. Forget what the manufacturer did or did not install in your RV.
Do you have all the parts to make the system complete? Do you have the two AC adapters that work with the SWM system? I know you are waiting on the LNB.
Yes, everything is here. I had an LNB that didn't work so I sent it back (amazon Prime). new one will be here today. Ups truck already went by once. I purchased the TV4RV tripod and their fold up dish http://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.p...ct_detail&p=13 . I have a couple hundred RG-6 connectors and the complete termination kit and 50' of RG-6 quad (compliments of Klein tools). I also ordered a sat aiming kit with SWiM internal power so I can aim the dish without needing to see the receiver https://www.ebay.com/itm/253324433142 This should be here in the next couple of days. Comes directly from CHINA and I got notification it hit the us in philly and got transferred to the postal service last night.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #22

Tennessee
That dish aiming tool is not necessary for the setup you bought. I can "aim" mine with the supplied compass and be within 3 degrees every time. About 70% of the time i'll have a signal show up in the directv menu when it's first locked in, If not just turn it a degree at a time until you get one.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #23

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Yes, everything is here. I had an LNB that didn't work so I sent it back (amazon Prime). new one will be here today. Ups truck already went by once. I purchased the TV4RV tripod and their fold up dish Heavy-Duty Combo Package for RV TV Satellite Dish . I have a couple hundred RG-6 connectors and the complete termination kit and 50' of RG-6 quad (compliments of Klein tools). I also ordered a sat aiming kit with SWiM internal power so I can aim the dish without needing to see the receiver https://www.ebay.com/itm/253324433142 This should be here in the next couple of days. Comes directly from CHINA and I got notification it hit the us in philly and got transferred to the postal service last night.
You're good to go then. The STB has an audible signal so you can aim the antenna. The louder it gets the stronger the signal. Just in case the aiming kit gets held up in the snow storm.
Can't have all that stuff itching to get installed while waiting on the last part. The UPS guy just drove by to tease you!!

You may already know this but the STB satellite alignment GUI will give you the coordinates you'll need based on your geographical location.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #24

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
That dish aiming tool is not necessary for the setup you bought. I can "aim" mine with the supplied compass and be within 3 degrees every time. About 70% of the time i'll have a signal show up in the directv menu when it's first locked in, If not just turn it a degree at a time until you get one.
That means I gotta go outside, turn it, go back inside, look, go back outside, etc. Wifey is of NO help for this kinda stuff. Easier just to spend the sixty bucks and get it done *wink* and enjoy marital bliss.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #25

Tennessee
Quote:
That means I gotta go outside, turn it, go back inside, look, go back outside, etc. Wifey is of NO help for this kinda stuff. Easier just to spend the sixty bucks and get it done *wink* and enjoy marital bliss.
I can setup most of the time and look at my outside tv, no wife required.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #26

Oklahoma
Quote:
That's easy peasy. Try aiming one standing on a 16 foot extension ladder sitting on a wooden pallet sitting of the forks of a fully extended fork lift, in Mexico in June.
Oh yeah, the fork lift driver left after he hoisted me up there.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #27

Florida
Quote:
That's easy peasy. Try aiming one standing on a 16 foot extension ladder sitting on a wooden pallet sitting of the forks of a fully extended fork lift, in Mexico in June.
Oh yeah, the fork lift driver left after he hoisted me up there.
Sounds like something I would have done in my younger days... Darned UPS guy just drove by again, maybe he is making circles this morning.

Wonder if KathyJB is still needing help with her stuff.. .I think I kinda hijacked her thread.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #28

Florida
Quote:
I can setup most of the time and look at my outside tv, no wife required.

Unfortunately, don't have one of those outside TV things.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #29

Oklahoma
Quote:
Sounds like something I would have done in my younger days... Darned UPS guy just drove by again, maybe he is making circles this morning.

Wonder if KathyJB is still needing help with her stuff.. .I think I kinda hijacked her thread.
KathyJB is probably waiting until you get finished and watching TV. She is getting the answers and enjoying the dialog.
The UPS driver is going in circles until it's quitting time and then he will leave the 'undeliverable' message.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:06 AM   #30

Texas
Lol Sundancer 87 I did get it going. I took it to the bay house and found out I needed a new coax from there. Wait, let me back up, that tv didn't have a power cord so I ordered one, Amazon, got there in 2 days, then we went back down and while the husband was mowing, I got it all set up. Found a little helpful hint, said to point the handle to the north. Husband had a compass app but I had a general idea where north was Called dish and also got a hint that I shouldn't mention to the people on the correct number I first called that this was a new setup. Never tell them that, they get all happy and send you to another place.
KathyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #31

Tennessee
Set mine up for the first time this year last weekend. Put the compass in the transit base, swiveled it to 208.5, leveled it and attached the dish. By the time I hooked the cable into the camper and talked to the neighbor for 5 minutes I had a full HD signal (97%). Took me less than 10 minutes, love this setup.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #32

Texas
Quote:
Set mine up for the first time this year last weekend. Put the compass in the transit base, swiveled it to 208.5, leveled it and attached the dish. By the time I hooked the cable into the camper and talked to the neighbor for 5 minutes I had a full HD signal (97%). Took me less than 10 minutes, love this setup.
It is pretty simple and it's only 7 bucks extra a month.
KathyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #33

Florida
Mine took a little longer first time. All I have are the channels that are above 200. None of,the local channels.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #34

Oklahoma
Quote:
Mine took a little longer first time. All I have are the channels that are above 200. None of,the local channels.
How many sats are you getting?
99, 103, 110, 101 should get you all of the channels available to your package.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #35

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJB View Post
It is pretty simple and it's only 7 bucks extra a month.
What's $7 extra?

To clarify my above post, the compass setting is 208. Don't know where the .5 came from.
Silly forum, can't edit a post after a certain time
Old 05-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #36

Florida
getting the regular satellites is easy, getting the "s" sats are the hard part. The S are the SPOT satellites that give you local channels.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #37

Florida
Quote:
What's $7 extra?

To clarify my above post, the compass setting is 208. Don't know where the .5 came from.
Silly forum, can't edit a post after a certain time
a second receiver.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #38

Florida
Quote:
How many sats are you getting?
99, 103, 110, 101 should get you all of the channels available to your package.
I was getting all the HD chanels above the locals. Complete satellites on 101 and 103, in addition to the 99's but no locals. Was going to call them to see what I was doing wrong but didn't think it would be worth it since I had cable from the campground for those. I bought this nifty HDMI switch from WALMART that does a 3 to 1. Walmart also had HDMI cables on sale for ten bucks (the latest generation, with Ethernet). Just wish they had them in a two foot to make a cleaner installation.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #39

Oklahoma
Quote:
getting the regular satellites is easy, getting the "s" sats are the hard part. The S are the SPOT satellites that give you local channels.
Actually all the transponders are spot beams. Many years back they didn't spot beam the transponders so one could watch both coast's TV programming. It wasn't uncommon the have program channels saved so one could watch the local news of family members.
DirecTV was the first to spot beam. The idea was to be able to provide a special event or programming specifically to a location. It worked so they decided to use it to defeat the pirates.

Those were the days, every channel that was the sent to earth was available.

It took a little work and a different STB but it could be done.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #40

Oklahoma
Quote:
I was getting all the HD chanels above the locals. Complete satellites on 101 and 103, in addition to the 99's but no locals. Was going to call them to see what I was doing wrong but didn't think it would be worth it since I had cable from the campground for those. I bought this nifty HDMI switch from WALMART that does a 3 to 1. Walmart also had HDMI cables on sale for ten bucks (the latest generation, with Ethernet). Just wish they had them in a two foot to make a cleaner installation.
Your STB is tuned to your local channels. You'll only get locals in your home area.