RV Cover? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2016, 01:20 AM   #1

Alberta
RV Cover?

Hi All,

New RV owner here (recently bought a Kodiak Ultimate 240BHSL). Anyone have any advice or experience related to covering their RV? Is it worth getting an RV cover to protect your RV when in storage (ours will be stored outdoors)? I have heard/read that using a tarp may not be a good idea as they are not breathable and may damage the fiberglas walls due to the roughness of a tarp. But do RV covers offer good protection from rain and snow? They are quite pricey and seem like they may be difficult to get onto the RV but I do want to protect our trailer.

Would appreciate thoughts from the interweb!

David

DavidO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:47 AM   #2

Utah
Sorry I don't have any input on this, as I am curious as well, I have a new Voltage V3305 that is in Utah, I would like to keep protected. Looking forward to input from this great forum.

Helidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Maryland
I've owned an RV cover for the entire time that I have been RV'ing. Living in Texas for 16 years it provided protection from the hot sun and it's harmful rays. Also had tire covers as well. The sun can really do a number on tires, the roof, and the siding if not protected. Since living in Maryland for past 13 years, it has protected our TT from not only the sun, but also during the winter month's as well. I've only had to replace it once when we bought our new/recent trailer. My previous RV cover did tear during a hurricane/super storm (Sandy) but I was able to repair it before I traded that unit in for my current TT. I was able to get the dealership to throw in the cover when I was doing our PDI as our unit was supposed to come with a rear ladder and it didn't have one installed (their mistake).
I would highly recommend getting one!

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

Illinois
Other than the huge expense of a custom cover, I have been unable to find one for my Voltage 3990. Wish I had the property for a pole barn or RV port like some of you lucky guys! I also wonder how hard it would be to lug that cover up 13' to cover a 44' RV? Guessing regular 303 applications on rubber and roof as well as 3 or 4 waxings a year will have to do for now.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcarte View Post
I've owned an RV cover for the entire time that I have been RV'ing. Living in Texas for 16 years it provided protection from the hot sun and it's harmful rays. Also had tire covers as well. The sun can really do a number on tires, the roof, and the siding if not protected. Since living in Maryland for past 13 years, it has protected our TT from not only the sun, but also during the winter month's as well. I've only had to replace it once when we bought our new/recent trailer. My previous RV cover did tear during a hurricane/super storm (Sandy) but I was able to repair it before I traded that unit in for my current TT. I was able to get the dealership to throw in the cover when I was doing our PDI as our unit was supposed to come with a rear ladder and it didn't have one installed (their mistake).
I would highly recommend getting one!
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like it is worth the investment.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #6

Arizona
My cover, in the Arizona sun was good for 4 years before it ripped. I only use one for sun protection. My current trailer they don't make one big enough to fit.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:34 AM   #7

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
My cover, in the Arizona sun was good for 4 years before it ripped. I only use one for sun protection. My current trailer they don't make one big enough to fit.
Well, sun isn't as much an issue in Alberta.

Mostly I wanted to protect our trailer from snow and potential water damage. Will probably give a cover a try...

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 AM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Other than the huge expense of a custom cover, I have been unable to find one for my Voltage 3990. Wish I had the property for a pole barn or RV port like some of you lucky guys! I also wonder how hard it would be to lug that cover up 13' to cover a 44' RV? Guessing regular 303 applications on rubber and roof as well as 3 or 4 waxings a year will have to do for now.
Rusty

Been using xzilon on our rv's and boats for years. Worth every dime.

Xzilon® Molecular Adhesion
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #9

Illinois
Our first winter under cover so far everything is ok
I can tell more when we take it off soon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2939  
Old 04-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #10

Louisiana
What brand do you guys recommend? I also and am in the market for a cover until I can get the time to built a slab and proper cover to park my trailer under.
duckcomando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcomando View Post
What brand do you guys recommend? I also and am in the market for a cover until I can get the time to built a slab and proper cover to park my trailer under.
Before I built a roof, we used the Adco cover with the tyvek roof and vents in the sides, it kept air flowing around the camper and helped in strong winds. Seemed like a very solid cover. Also came with a storage cover and patch kit.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #12

Louisiana
Thanks for yup reply. I have seen those and am leaning that way. I have also seen a cover called Calmark. Does anyone have this type? I live in Louisiana so no snow for me it's more for sun protection.
duckcomando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #13

Nevada
I have used Adco Covers on and off for 20 years, they do work, as long as you cover up the drains extensions on all 4 corners, that's where the cover will start to rip....if you have the Traveler Antenna, you will have to place a cover over it, so it doesn't get caught, when placing the cover up on the roof, place it on the ground and turn it inside out, that way, when its on the roof, you just throw one side at a time.....I have high winds in my area and 300 days of sun, the winds are the killer of the cover, just make sure all the straps are secure....I use one on my Truck Camper, but they don't make one large enough for my 43ft Voltage
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #14

California
Adco does make a cover to fit our 43' Toyhaulers (# 34858). I got mine through CoverQuest.

https://www.coverquest.com/rv-cover-...auler-cover-43

Have not had a chance to put it on yet as I have been using the trailer enough that it has not made sense to put it on yet.

Happy Shopping.
RvrRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:17 AM   #15

Nevada
Thanks RvrRat, I still have my old cover from my 40ft RV, so I am using it till it is shot, I will check out CoverQuest
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:40 AM   #16

Utah
We cover ours every winter from the high elevation sun and snow.
We purchase ours a camping world with the 2 year warranty. Then they replace it when it rips or small tears.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:15 AM   #17

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Rusty
I'm curious if you ever found a cover for your 3990?

RexFrank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
240, cover