Roof Coating question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #1

Indiana
Roof Coating question

I want to coat my off white colored roof with "Cool Seal" Elastomeric roof coating. Problem is "Cool Seal" is a very brilliant bright white.
Does anyone know whether I can mix some type of color paint with the white? I want to mix a color to dull the bright white down to an off white or change the color all together.
Any automotive paint will have to be a non-petroleum distilled paint. Is house paint petroleum distilled?
Anyone have any ideas?

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #2

Washington
By your statement on the automotive paint you're aware of the problem of using anything petroleum based on the rubber roof. I've used the Cool Seal on and aluminum roof before (what a difference that made!) but I'd check real carefully as to whether it can be used on the rubber roof. Don't remember how it was formulated but any petroleum will soften and deteriorate the rubber. I think I'd call the Cool White manufacturer to ask about coloring it.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:40 AM   #3

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
By your statement on the automotive paint you're aware of the problem of using anything petroleum based on the rubber roof. I've used the Cool Seal on and aluminum roof before (what a difference that made!) but I'd check real carefully as to whether it can be used on the rubber roof. Don't remember how it was formulated but any petroleum will soften and deteriorate the rubber. I think I'd call the Cool White manufacturer to ask about coloring it.
I've purchased a quart of Cool Seal for RV's to experiment with. I didn't know whether anyone on this forum has done any tinting of the product. If so, what they may have used.
I have emailed the company. If they don't respond by the end of the day on Monday I will call them.
I appreciate your response.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 10-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #4

Ontario
If you are talking about a rubber roof, I have my eye on this BUT it's white

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d=AK5EA8E3B8D7
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:02 AM   #5

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
If you are talking about a rubber roof, I have my eye on this BUT it's white

Amazon.com: DICOR CORPORATION RP-CRC RUBBER ROOF ACRYLIC COATING WHT GALLON RP-CRC-1: Automotive
That's another great product. Like you said it's white.

Just got an email from the people that make Cool Seal Elastomeric sealer. The word is that their product cannot be tinted with color.

Looks like, white it will be.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 10-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
That's another great product. Like you said it's white.

Just got an email from the people that make Cool Seal Elastomeric sealer. The word is that their product cannot be tinted with color.

Looks like, white it will be.
What do you think is a better product? My TT is new, but I was thinking of maybe applying next summer to protect the roof. Not sure if that's a good idea or even the right product. I'm a newbie lol
Old 10-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #7

Florida
Question

I Have heard that LANCO products bought at Home Depot has a product made for applying over EPDM rubber roofing. Has anyone had experience with it.
Thanks
keicoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
What do you think is a better product? My TT is new, but I was thinking of maybe applying next summer to protect the roof. Not sure if that's a good idea or even the right product. I'm a newbie lol
I wouldn't waste my money coating. The coatings for "rubber" roofs have a fairly short lifespan and don't do all that much for protecting the roof. A gentle cleaning and annual inspection will do more good than any coating. The roof as installed should be good for 10+ years with maintenance. It comes with a 12 year warranty (for what it is worth).

According to the Dicor website you should clean the roof 4 times a year!

I work in the commercial roofing industry and coatings are usually used as a last resort to try and extend the life of a failing roof. They seldom work well because no one wants to take the time or pay the money to do the proper prep work prior to coating, and it is the most critical step.

Here is a link to a RV Roof Care book.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #9

Indiana
Quote:
I think purchasing a roof coating is like buying an automobile. I believe they all do what they're intended to do.......no matter the brand.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 AM   #10

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I wouldn't waste my money coating. The coatings for "rubber" roofs have a fairly short lifespan and don't do all that much for protecting the roof. A gentle cleaning and annual inspection will do more good than any coating. The roof as installed should be good for 10+ years with maintenance. It comes with a 12 year warranty (for what it is worth).

According to the Dicor website you should clean the roof 4 times a year!

I work in the commercial roofing industry and coatings are usually used as a last resort to try and extend the life of a failing roof. They seldom work well because no one wants to take the time or pay the money to do the proper prep work prior to coating, and it is the most critical step.

Here is a link to a RV Roof Care book.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron! Good points

My previous TT was a Jayco and the roof membrane was securely attached to the TT. This Aerolite, seems there are air gaps basically areas where the glue doesn't look like it's affixed properly. Do you know what I mean? Not sure if I should be concerned or is this normal for the Dutchman brand?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #11

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
I think purchasing a roof coating is like buying an automobile. I believe they all do what they're intended to do.......no matter the brand.
Good point
Old 10-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks Aaron! Good points

My previous TT was a Jayco and the roof membrane was securely attached to the TT. This Aerolite, seems there are air gaps basically areas where the glue doesn't look like it's affixed properly. Do you know what I mean? Not sure if I should be concerned or is this normal for the Dutchman brand?
Yup... know what you mean. As long as the sections aren't too large and wind can't get under it you should be fine.

A buddy of mine suggested mounting a GoPro camera somewhere on the roof and driving at highway speeds for a few minutes just to see what happens up there. I have seen more than one RV rolling down the road with the rubber blowing up in big bubbles.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #13

California
Roof Coating: Henry Tropi-Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by keicoe View Post
I Have heard that LANCO products bought at Home Depot has a product made for applying over EPDM rubber roofing. Has anyone had experience with it.
Thanks
I have a 1995 5th wheel, the roof is chalky, when it rains (seldom in S. Cal) it runs down the sides. I perceive 20 years of leaching parts of the roof coating, therefore needing a refresh. I've inspected the edges and have seen few cracks, but have patched with caulk.

After looking around, the products are close in price and no real advantage, one over the other. Essentially, 100% Silicone, in a suspension, to be rolled, water cleanup. **I want bright white, to reflect sun/heat.

Home Depot carries Henry Roofing Products. I contacted Henry today, with request for EPDM rubber coating for RV, they referred me to:
Tropi-Cool 887HS a 4.5 gallon pail should be sufficient for my 34' trailer. They refer to a single coat, without primer.
Lifetime warranty.
1.5 gallon / 100 sq ft

Silicone Roof Coating - Henry Company

Does anyone have experience with this product?
Wuffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #14

Florida
Roof coatings

When a rubber roof is 10-12 years old and is failing, putting a roof coating on it is like putting a Band-Aid on a gunshot woundI would just order a new EPDM roof and glue on line get a day labor guy and take off the old roof and slap the new one down. Total cost should be no more than $750.00. It is no big deal. Camping World would cost $3-4K to do it. Just ask around for help and you will find it!
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:38 AM   #15

California
Replace EPDM vs Recoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
When a rubber roof is 10-12 years old and is failing, putting a roof coating on it is like putting a Band-Aid on a gunshot woundI would just order a new EPDM roof and glue on line get a day labor guy and take off the old roof and slap the new one down. Total cost should be no more than $750.00. It is no big deal. Camping World would cost $3-4K to do it. Just ask around for help and you will find it!
I like the way you think, and I feel we'd be helping each other, cause I feel you're on point. If I wasn't considering the 'value' of the unit -probably less than $8000- and new roof costing 10% of the market value. Probably market value shouldn't be a consideration.

Considering the $500 difference, I'll consider 4 panels ea: 100 watts of flexible solar. maybe that'll keep my roof from peeling. Thanks for our humor while considering these retrofits, and upgrades.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #16

Kentucky
Hey you all look at Henry roof products they have a pure silicone product that doesn't have any petroleum in it. Go to you tube at mobile homesteading site and Eddie will show from start time finish.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #17

California
Silicon High Solids: Tuber video

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwcamp View Post
Hey you all look at Henry roof products they have a pure silicone product that doesn't have any petroleum in it. Go to you tube at mobile homesteading site and Eddie will show from start time finish.
https://youtu.be/2bA9SPbsL2Q Boy! is that white!
Old 10-22-2016, 12:31 AM   #18

Kentucky
So what do you think about the roof coating.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #19

California
Tropicool Henry roof coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuffo View Post
https://youtu.be/2bA9SPbsL2Q Boy! is that white!
looking for a cleaner, prep for coating, I called Carlisle, they have a product:
X-Tenda Coat™ EPDM Activator is a single-component, water-based wash/activator. It was specifically designed for adhering Carlisle's X-Tenda Coat system to EPDM surfaces. X-Tenda Coat EPDM Activator is a low-viscosity, light-pink liquid that reacts with the EPDM surface to ensure a strong bond with the coating.
The Tropicool is really white, and reduced heat gain from diffuse sunlight. I assume direct summer sun will be significantly reduced as well... I'll try this combination.