Question. On Battery issue? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Iowa
Question. On Battery issue?

I have a 2007 Dutchman 30s travel trailer. When the battery goes dead nothing works at all until I charge the battery or put in a new battery. Is there a way to by pass the battery completely to just run off of the power chord?

tcnickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnickel View Post
I have a 2007 Dutchman 30s travel trailer. When the battery goes dead nothing works at all until I charge the battery or put in a new battery. Is there a way to by pass the battery completely to just run off of the power chord?

Doesn't your RV have an inverter to keep the battery charged? While connected to shore power the inverter will charge the battery to operate the 12 volt appliances.
If the RV is stored or not in use a cut off switch will switch out the battery to keep it from going dead for awhile.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #3

Wyoming
Make sure the 120V breaker for your converter is on. All 12V stuff runs off the battery which is kept charged by the converter. If your converter is not working and your batteries are dead then nothing will work.

Conversely, if your converter is working and your batteries are toast (dead) things should still work on the shore powered converter.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:42 PM   #4

Colorado
When you check the battery level on the control panel when no battery is plugged in, does it read 100% when connected to shore power?

If not...you’re not getting power...

Check breaker and fuses on inverter/converter

If you plug something in to the outlet (110) does it work?

Good luck...sounds like a converter or inverter issue
barrieb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:47 AM   #5

Wisconsin
Inverter or Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Doesn't your RV have an inverter to keep the battery charged? While connected to shore power the inverter will charge the battery to operate the 12 volt appliances.
If the RV is stored or not in use a cut off switch will switch out the battery to keep it from going dead for awhile.
A converter/charger converts 115 volts to 13.2, 13.6, or 14.4 volts (depending on the make and model) to charge the battery and run 12 volt devices.

An inverter uses 12 volt battery power to make 115 volts AC to run 115 volt appliances.

Many RV's have a disconnect switch to shut off most 12 volt appliances. Certain 12 volt devices are not connected through the cutoff switch.

Some RV's have an additional disconnect switch near the battery that is a true disconnect. When the true disconnect is opened, a fully charged flooded cell battery will last in storage for 3 to 6 months. An AGM battery will last 6 to 12 months.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:58 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
A converter/charger converts 115 volts to 13.2, 13.6, or 14.4 volts (depending on the make and model) to charge the battery and run 12 volt devices.

An inverter uses 12 volt battery power to make 115 volts AC to run 115 volt appliances.

Many RV's have a disconnect switch to shut off most 12 volt appliances. Certain 12 volt devices are not connected through the cutoff switch.

Some RV's have an additional disconnect switch near the battery that is a true disconnect. When the true disconnect is opened, a fully charged flooded cell battery will last in storage for 3 to 6 months. An AGM battery will last 6 to 12 months.

So what is your point Paul? Is it to educate me on the difference between a converter and an inverter. I really do know the difference having lived in a solar house with batteries and an inverter with three stage charger to run my 110 VAC appliances. I do have an RV that has a converter also.

In previous posts I have posted the distinction between the two so the education is lost on me.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:58 AM   #7

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnickel View Post
There is a way. The TT probably has a converter/charger to do that job. The symptoms you describe indicate the converter/charger is not working.
Check:
  1. Circuit breaker on main 115 volt AC service panel is tripped. (It could be a fuse, but that is unlikely.)
  2. Two fuses on the 12 volt DC fuse panel. My Kodiak Cub has a 30 amp supply and a 40 amp reverse polarity fuse. Your fuses may be larger.
  3. Converter/Charger may have malfunctioned or wiring may have become disconnected.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrieb24 View Post
When you check the battery level on the control panel when no battery is plugged in, does it read 100% when connected to shore power?

If not...you’re not getting power...

Check breaker and fuses on inverter/converter

If you plug something in to the outlet (110) does it work?

Good luck...sounds like a converter or inverter issue
Since the OP has a 2007 camper, I am pretty sure they do not have any fancy monitors.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote