Propane valve question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

Idaho
Propane valve question

I have a Voltage 3905. I am pretty sure the control valve for the propane tanks is the same as on most other trailers. I need to know how it works are mine didn't function as I thought it would. I have dual tanks and I had the arrow (long end of the switch) pointing at the tank nearest the control valve. Last night, that tank ran out of fuel...should it have automatically switched over to the other tank? It still had propane, but the heater/gas stove, etc., refused to operate.

To have it automatically switch over to the other tank when one empties, is there a different setting to use (perhaps halfway between the two positions? Or, is the valve not actually an automatic switch when one empties, but rather, it will just allow you to switch without having to actually swap tanks?

Thanks in advance.

PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #2

California
Yes it should switch over if the other tanks valve is open & there's propane in the tank.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #3

Florida
If you have the same valve as I do, the lever does not control the flow from either tank, it simply controls the red indicator. There is no way (that I know of) to know which tank is flowing at the time, other than turn off one tank.
It is fully automatic switch over, driven by the tank pressures. The long end of the handle will point to which feed line the red strip indicator is reading.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #4

California
If the pointer is toward the closes tank & the valve is oped and the red stripe is showing that tank is empty. Turn the pointer the other way if that tank has propane & valve is open the stripe should turn back green. If not the switch over valve is bad.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #5

South Carolina
Guys, I just went out and read the instruction sheet from my new rig. It's not real clear, even counting for spelling errors. Both tank valves have to be on. Point the lever (sometimes misspelled level) at the tank you want to draw from. If you have gas in that tank, the indicator (or indictor) will be clear. When the tank is dry, the indicator turns red, and the system starts drawing off of the opposite tank. But the lever does not turn. The indicator turns red, that's all. When you see it, you are supposed to turn the lever to the other tank, i.e. the one it is now drawing from. When you do, the indicator will turn clear again. Now you can switch out the empty tank. Clear as mud!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #6

Oklahoma
All the above is correct. However, I have been experiencing auto switch over problems for a long time. By long time I mean replacing the OEM dual stage regulator, replacing the replacement and replacing the replacement's replacement.
I've had the dual stage regulators back flow to the single stage regulator, not switch over and flat out not work correctly.

I just sent a Camco dual stage switchover back to Amazon for a refund.

As it stands now and has been standing for a few months I pulled the single stage regulator from the driver's side and used it to replace the dual stage regulator. When the tank empties I just put a full one in its place. If it's cold and I might run out at night I'll change to a full tank so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night.

I have blown lines out and checked wc pressures. Changed ACME nuts and hoses and still haven't solved this problem.

I know auto change overs work because I used a Marshall dual stage for many years down south. It was a large regulator that could be taken apart and repaired as parts were available.

In a word, the cheap crap on these rigs don't work all that well. I went through a few of those cheap Camco type regulators before a gas mechanic fixed me up with the Marshall unit.
I may get a Marshall regulator that I know will work or just suffer with the single stage regulating the single tank. For 150 bucks I change a few tanks and winter will go away soon.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #7

California
When one tank runs out I don't turn the lever to the other tank unit I have refilled the empty tank. To easy to forget & on next trip and you can really run out of propane. (Don't ask how I know)

Interesting I have had nine different RVs & never had a switch over valve fail. Never had a line blow out. Have had to replace lines because of leaks.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
When one tank runs out I don't turn the lever to the other tank unit I have refilled the empty tank. To easy to forget & on next trip and you can really run out of propane. (Don't ask how I know)

Interesting I have had nine different RVs & never had a switch over valve fail. Never had a line blow out. Have had to replace lines because of leaks.
Not a 'blown out' line but used the air compressor to blow out the line to make sure it was clear.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
I will second the Marshall units. There also used to be one made by Fisher that was a good product, it was used on Airstreams back in the 70's. I had one that was made in 1974 and it was still working this year when I sold the Airstream.

Seems like stuff is getting cheaper and cheaper with no quality stuff readily available even on the aftermarket.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote