Propane Tank Shut off or on? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Do you travel with your tanks ON or OFF? Fridge ON or OFF?
Tanks ON or OFF 2 66.67%
Refrigerator ON or OFF? (obviously your tanks are on if you travel with the fridge ON)! 3 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

Florida
Propane Tank Shut off or on?

Trying to see if I can get a poll started and how this works.

Do you travel with your propane tanks on or off, refrigerator on or off? let's see how this works. Well , that was stupid... I should now try to edit the poll if I can! Well, I can't seem to edit it.

franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Colorado
Well, if it is a sunny day, I run the fridge on AC using the inverter and let the solar keep the batteries charged. If it is dark or cloudy, I run the fridge on propane.

Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:46 AM   #3

Kansas
In the summer I travel with the fridge on propane. Just need to make sure you turn the fridge off while fueling. Fridge takes to long to get cold to do it any better way
Sundays child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:57 AM   #4

South Carolina
The poll questions make no sense. I use the system as designed. I leave the fridge running on auto, which means it switches to propane as soon as I un-hook from electrical. I run the fridge the whole trip. I only turn the fridge off when refueling IF I'm forced into a situation where the fridge is close to the gas pumps. Normally, I try to take a "first' pump, at the end "aisle" where the back of the truck, and thus the camper, are WAY behind, and outside of the pump area. Given the dual-regulators and flow cutoffs, I don't worry too much about propane. You have a higher risk of ruining your RV with cheap tires, speeds over 65 mph, other drivers, and road hazards. But to each his own. If you want to play with dry ice, enjoy warm drinks, and spoiled milk and meat, go ahead!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:11 AM   #5

Arizona
Fridge has to stay cold so the gas stays on. Trailer never goes to gas stations.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:11 AM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Fridge has to stay cold so the gas stays on. Trailer never goes to gas stations.
So you're saying you never travel more than the range of one tank of gasoline? Surely you don't unhitch, get your gasoline, then re-hitch to continue your journey?
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
So you're saying you never travel more than the range of one tank of gasoline? Surely you don't unhitch, get your gasoline, then re-hitch to continue your journey?
Maybe he has the same rule I do... 6 hours/300 miles a day, whichever comes first!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
The poll questions make no sense. I use the system as designed. I leave the fridge running on auto, which means it switches to propane as soon as I un-hook from electrical. I run the fridge the whole trip. I only turn the fridge off when refueling IF I'm forced into a situation where the fridge is close to the gas pumps. Normally, I try to take a "first' pump, at the end "aisle" where the back of the truck, and thus the camper, are WAY behind, and outside of the pump area. Given the dual-regulators and flow cutoffs, I don't worry too much about propane. You have a higher risk of ruining your RV with cheap tires, speeds over 65 mph, other drivers, and road hazards. But to each his own. If you want to play with dry ice, enjoy warm drinks, and spoiled milk and meat, go ahead!

I tried to change the poll questions to where they were clearer in the query but I couldn't figure it out, so I started a new thread.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...-off-7344.html

I tried dry ice one time, didn't work too well by the way (at least in my case).
Old 11-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
I have a 91 gallon diesel tank in the truck bed in addition to the stock 36 gallon diesel tank. I can tow over 900 miles before needing to hit a gas station. When that time comes I leave the trailer at camp and then go find the cheapest diesel in the area.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
I can do one better, my camper has never been over 75 miles from my house. We camp 6-8 times a year and we've had our camper 4 years.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I can do one better, my camper has never been over 75 miles from my house. We camp 6-8 times a year and we've had our camper 4 years.

You have so many great places to camp and fish up in TN and surrounding areas.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #12

Illinois
Refrigerator

Propane on and frig on,, fill up with gas and leave it on,, frig is on opposite side of fill for tv,, plus it probably very seldom kicks on as it stays closed while traveling of course
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:25 AM   #13

Arizona
Just got to thinking, if I am filling up with diesel what does it matter if the fridge pilot is in or off? Diesel doesn't ignite the way gas does.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Just got to thinking, if I am filling up with diesel what does it matter if the fridge pilot is in or off? Diesel doesn't ignite the way gas does.
Diesel would extinguish the fridge pilot and your food would spoil
Old 02-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #15

Wyoming
Quote:
The vehicle on the other side of the pump may be filling up with gasoline. Not to mention it is unlawful to be at any fuel dispensing pumps with your fridge pilot on.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:37 AM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
The vehicle on the other side of the pump may be filling up with gasoline. Not to mention it is unlawful to be at any fuel dispensing pumps with your fridge pilot on.
Precisely why I never take my trailer to the pumps unless I'm filling the gas tanks of the trailer.