Private Owner RV Rental - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

Arizona
Private Owner RV Rental

Came across this on a Google search today. There are several companies that will rent privately owned motor homes, travel trailers, and 5th wheels. Some will manage the entire process including maintenance while some just seem to broker the deal. Looking for any feedback positive or negative if anybody has actually done this.

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #2

New Jersey
I've not done it myself, so have no personal experience. I would have a several concerns. Who covers insurance if the RV is damaged? Most personal policies will not cover you if you rent out your stuff, as that is commercial operation. More than damage to the RV, who's responsible if someone gets seriously hurt or killed, or there is major damage to someone else's property? Generally, if you own it, you are liable, no matter who is operating it. Who ascertains that the people renting it have any idea what they are doing, especially towing a trailer? Is their tow vehicle capable? Those concerns aside, I don't really want someone living in, and using my RV, but that's my personal preference.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

Illinois
I'm with you. Too expensive to risk. Heck, I wreck and damage enough stuff by myself and it's mine! Where my RV goes, I go with it.
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #4

South Carolina
Agree with the rest. But this thread has me thinking.... in our later years, when we're too old to take it out..... this could be a source of some income. But not until we're done with it!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

Colorado
I'm with the others...too risky!!

If you ask me, you rent your RV to someone else, you better have a couple of million $$ liability umbrella policy. And you better make sure the policy covers renting out your RV. I'll bet that would be expensive.

If you don't, and somebody gets stupid, and gets hurt...gonna be really expensive.

I have my TH to haul my Polaris RZR...there have been more than just a few posts about "lent it to my brother in-law" or let "someone else drive it". And someone got killed or seriously injured. I want no part of that.

My final thought...would you rent out your wife? Not me, not my TH, not my RZR, not my guns, not my house...nope what's mine I worked hard for, and its mine!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:24 PM   #6

Arizona
I totally agree with everyone here. Too many unknown variables and not worth taking the chance let alone someone else sleeping in my bed and using my things. As for the insurance aspect though, the renter would either have to add a binder to their automobile policy listing the owner as a "Loss Payee" and the vehicle as " additionally Insured" if their company would actually do that is unknown. If not, they would have to purchase daily coverage and supplemental liability against the owner or dealer's commercial rental policy. Renter is responsible for ALL damages. Commercial Insurance is only for Vehicle collision as it does not cover any other damages!

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:13 AM   #7

Wyoming
I'll simply state an adage that someone told me long ago... and once you think about it, you KNOW it's true:

"Nothing enhances the off-road capabilities of a vehicle more than a signed rental agreement... except maybe an insurance binder on said agreement!"
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #8

Illinois
Funny, and probably true!
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

Washington
I agree with the above comments. However, for discussion sake, we were tailgating one weekend, and noticed a 5th wheel next to us, but no tow vehicle. So we asked the people if they parked elsewhere, and they said no.

Turns out, the owner of the 5th wheel lives within an hour of the College (which is pretty remote) and also has a season parking pass, and tickets, so on the weekends they choose not to go, etc. they rent their 5th wheel to others to use. I guess they pull it down, set it all up, and hide the keys in a lockbox attached to the trailer, then the renters show up, use it for the weekend (I'm assuming there is a instruction book left for them) then, they leave, and the owner comes back and picks it up and takes it home.

Definitely not something I would do, but interesting way this individual was making some side money.
West1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I'll simply state an adage that someone told me long ago... and once you think about it, you KNOW it's true:

"Nothing enhances the off-road capabilities of a vehicle more than a signed rental agreement... except maybe an insurance binder on said agreement!"
Suddenly reminded of Jeff Foxworthy:
"Insurance? Yes, I'll be needing that. This Ford Pinto is going to see more air-time than the entire NBA this weekend."
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #11

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole View Post
Suddenly reminded of Jeff Foxworthy:
"Insurance? Yes, I'll be needing that. This Ford Pinto is going to see more air-time than the entire NBA this weekend."

Yep, I remember that. Lord knows I've trashed some rental cars in my time. I had to call Avis once and tell them to bring me another vehicle... and that they may wanna dispatch a flatbed to pull the old one out of a lake!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 09-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #12

Arizona
I'm all for private RV rentals. People rent private property all the time; homes, condos, even airplanes. I used to rent airplanes that were privately owned and on leaseback to the FBO . However, at each FBO I had to go fly with an instructor and prove that I knew what I was doing.

So many RV's sit unused for months on end and could stand to be put to use. With the proper insurance binder and a proper check of the renter's abilities, private RV rental is a great idea. And wouldn't it be nice to have an RV and someone else pays the bills?
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #13

Wyoming
Oh, I'm all for it... just not for the one I'm gonna use!

Now if I had the capital to buy a 2 or 3 toy hauler units for rentals, that'd be great.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 09-24-2015, 12:45 AM   #14

Montana
I've looked at this before a little bit. If I had the disposable income I'd probably buy a couple extra rigs just to rent out for the income. I kind of thought about renting our 5er out as a way to pay it off quickly......but just not sure I'm okay with other people using my camper. When we were shopping for travel trailers once we looked at some our local dealer had been using as a rental fleet that they were selling and replacing with new ones. Those trailers were used hard and put away wet. All of them needed new flooring, most of them had broken cabinet doors and hardware not to mention exterior damage from idiots that try to drive a square peg through a round hole when parking.
The thought of my trailer looking like that after a couple of summers turned me off on it for good.

Tags
rv rental