Pre-Wired Furrion Wired Wrong at Factory - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
PAbernathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: McKinney
Posts: 55
Texas
Pre-Wired Furrion Wired Wrong at Factory

Well folks...plug and play is not always plug and play. I installed mine in our new 2019 263BH Coleman by Dutchmen and it didn't work. I scratched my head a minute and pulled the center running light and barely enough wire to work with. However, I found they wired the furrion adapter with red (positive) to the white and black (negative) to the green. Needless to say it was wired backwards at the factory. As I noticed they don't use grommets around the cut aluminum siding and i noticed it was melted....so I replaced it and wired it correctly and finally worked.

Moral of the story....so much for Pre-Inspections at the factory.
__________________

__________________
Paul Abernathy, CMECP
2019 Coleman by Dutchmen 263BH
2014 FORD F150 V8 SuperCrew
www.MasterTheNEC.com
PAbernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,779
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAbernathy View Post
Well folks...plug and play is not always plug and play. I installed mine in our new 2019 263BH Coleman by Dutchmen and it didn't work. I scratched my head a minute and pulled the center running light and barely enough wire to work with. However, I found they wired the furrion adapter with red (positive) to the white and black (negative) to the green. Needless to say it was wired backwards at the factory. As I noticed they don't use grommets around the cut aluminum siding and i noticed it was melted....so I replaced it and wired it correctly and finally worked.

Moral of the story....so much for Pre-Inspections at the factory.

You being a NEC expert, this must have had you scratching your head.
__________________

__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,700
Florida
SEARCHABLE NEC, the ONLY WAY TO GO!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
PAbernathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: McKinney
Posts: 55
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
You being a NEC expert, this must have had you scratching your head.
It did in the effect of WHY would they wire it wrong....LOL......and considering I paid for the Plug and Play and just had a previous camera that was defective....yes it was not until I pulled it apart to determine.

Also,the NEC(National Electrical Code) doesn't dictate what they "Wire" these RV's as since we would never use Green as Positive but they do....so the NEC is irrelevant.
__________________
Paul Abernathy, CMECP
2019 Coleman by Dutchmen 263BH
2014 FORD F150 V8 SuperCrew
www.MasterTheNEC.com
PAbernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
dsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Calabasas
Posts: 153
California
We have all discussed many times the inconsistency and backwardness of how these manufacturers build these rigs.

Nothing surprises me anymore. And the guys that service them are not much better.

Glad we have this discussion group to share answers and ideas!
dsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,779
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
SEARCHABLE NEC, the ONLY WAY TO GO!

Still miss the big ole cross reference books though. But the Internet is faster!
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
PAbernathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: McKinney
Posts: 55
Texas
Sadly for me It was supposed to be a Plug and Play installation and why I paid what i did for the furrion. So as a result I had to make multiple trips to get additional supplies...just wasn't prepared for their BOTCHED install.
__________________
Paul Abernathy, CMECP
2019 Coleman by Dutchmen 263BH
2014 FORD F150 V8 SuperCrew
www.MasterTheNEC.com
PAbernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,639
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAbernathy View Post
Sadly for me It was supposed to be a Plug and Play installation and why I paid what i did for the furrion. So as a result I had to make multiple trips to get additional supplies...just wasn't prepared for their BOTCHED install.
And like Yoda said to Luke, "that is why you failed".
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:12 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
PAbernathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: McKinney
Posts: 55
Texas
OMG...not a YODA reference....LOL
__________________
Paul Abernathy, CMECP
2019 Coleman by Dutchmen 263BH
2014 FORD F150 V8 SuperCrew
www.MasterTheNEC.com
PAbernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,700
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAbernathy View Post
OMG...not a YODA reference....LOL
What's this place coming to?
__________________

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.