Poor radio reception - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Idaho
Poor radio reception

On our 2013 Voltage 3905, we have very poor radio reception (really NO radio reception would be more accurate). This has been addressed to some extent before, but now that I've removed the radio in the garage, I see what I guess is the antenna lead. It is a black wire and there is quite a bit of it that is all bundled up...but the rest disappears "somewhere". I've "tugged" on the wire, but it won't pull, and I don't want to REALLY tug on it...without know for sure what it is or where it goes. The TV in the main galley came with a DVD player that also has a radio function...and this radio DOES get good reception. So, can anyone suggest why the DVD in the garage gets such bad reception and exactly where the cable disappears to. I am not even positive the black cable IS the antenna, but not sure what else it might be.

PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Nevada
Have you turned on the TV Antenna power in the cabinet in the galley area. This powers the Garage antenna.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGento View Post
On our 2013 Voltage 3905, we have very poor radio reception (really NO radio reception would be more accurate). This has been addressed to some extent before, but now that I've removed the radio in the garage, I see what I guess is the antenna lead. It is a black wire and there is quite a bit of it that is all bundled up...but the rest disappears "somewhere". I've "tugged" on the wire, but it won't pull, and I don't want to REALLY tug on it...without know for sure what it is or where it goes. The TV in the main galley came with a DVD player that also has a radio function...and this radio DOES get good reception. So, can anyone suggest why the DVD in the garage gets such bad reception and exactly where the cable disappears to. I am not even positive the black cable IS the antenna, but not sure what else it might be.
WHAT, you got an antenna? for your radio? I could not figure out why I had zero radio reception until today when I pulled out the entertainment center, guess what? No, zero, nota an antenna to be found in the hole coiled up or other wise. Now I have to try and find one that will fit the coupler on the radio. Or maybe have my dealer order one.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #4

New Jersey
One will get radio reception if they turn on the antenna booster. The problem is if you are in a campground with cable TV. Turning on the booster will kill the cable TV feed. One should be able to get radio reception without the antenna booster. This is the first RV I've had that didn't have an antenna for the radio. Annoying, to say the least.
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #5

Pdonoghu IS right on it.. I had my radio out and the antenna goes into the cable system which leads back to the amp in the entertainment center. When you turn off the winegard amp it kills the antenna which uses the tv exterior antenna. It irks me too. I am thinking of installing an external antenna inside and screw it to the inside wall behind the radio.. I think the signal should penetrate the walls ok with FM . AM might be different. I even thought of mounting an external on the side outside wall of the camper running the cable behind the faux wall to the outside. Any thoughts there???
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #6

Michigan
There is absolutely zero wire, coax etc attached to the antenna port nor is there one coiled up in the back of the rig. Not sure what the cost of this entertainment system was, but it can not be very much.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #7

Ohio
Holmen put an antenna on the roof and a piece inside now it is a great radio
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENYEARS View Post
WHAT, you got an antenna? for your radio? I could not figure out why I had zero radio reception until today when I pulled out the entertainment center, guess what? No, zero, nota an antenna to be found in the hole coiled up or other wise. Now I have to try and find one that will fit the coupler on the radio. Or maybe have my dealer order one.
Well, I think what I thought was the antenna is actually a cable that connects the radio to the outside pushbutton controller. If that is the case, then NO radio antenna. What is that all about Dutchman???
PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #9

What does your dealer(s) say? Or just call Dutchman and ask. It would be highly unlikely for an antenna to be coiled up plus most antenna inputs are marked as such.
BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
New Kodiak 290BHSL

I noted that I too have poor at best radio reception. I'm betting there is no antenna connected... I have the Jensen Radio / DVD unit. I will likely pull it this weekend and find out for sure.
vwgtiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
No Antenna!

Ok. I pulled the Jensen radio/DVD unit and no antenna...
That would explain it. Now why would you market this w/ an entertainment unit but then not put an antenna on it????!!!!!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #12

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgtiman View Post
Ok. I pulled the Jensen radio/DVD unit and no antenna...
That would explain it. Now why would you market this w/ an entertainment unit but then not put an antenna on it????!!!!!
Was it connected to the antenna/cable distribution wiring? If so, when you turn on your TV antenna, you should get reception. I complained when I brought my unit in for service, and the dealer confirmed with Dutchmen that it is working as designed, one needs to turn the antenna booster on to get radio signal. Which is kind of lame as most campgrounds have cable TV, and you can't turn on the antenna booster without messing up the cable signal. I was going to mount an antenna, but have taken to connecting an iPod Touch for music, if I have wi-fi, I use the iHeart radio app to get my favorite stations, no matter where I am.
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
No Antenna

No. No antenna connected. There is only one place to connect an antenna to the radio and it is on a 6 " cable with a standard auto type female antenna connector. It is empty. They took the radio and connected it to the 6 speakers, power, and the RCA connections for the TV and that's it. The antenna connection is just hanging empty. This is why only the local country station comes in and that's it. I really want to believe this is a mistake.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #14

Oklahoma
I believe you will need to install an external antenna if want to listen to more than the local station.

With these Rvs it's easier to appreciate the unbelievable rather than the believable. Positive attitude is good too.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote