peel and stick backsplash - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #1

Utah
peel and stick backsplash

I want to do this, but have two questions:

1. After searching the forums, it sounds like several get these from Lowes or Home Depot. I presume that is okay, and that an "special" RV one is not necessary.

2. Things sticking on walls in trailers does not always seem to work well for me. I can never get those Command/3M stuff to stay (even the outdoor rated ones). With the extreme summer and winter temperatures inside an RV between trips when it is stored/unused, it seems like adhesives and glues have issues. I would hate to apply these, only to have them all fall off leaving resident or damage on the trailer wall. Anyone have the same concerns, or have these backsplashes just been great?

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:20 AM   #2

Arizona
We've had it in our trailer for about 4 years now with no problems.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I used the peel and stick stuff in my motor home, been in there a couple of years so far and no issues. Only note is if you have a wall board joint it may buckle a bit as you roll down the road.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #4

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I used the peel and stick stuff in my motor home, been in there a couple of years so far and no issues. Only note is if you have a wall board joint it may buckle a bit as you roll down the road.

Aaron

Thanks! Those are really nice before/after photos. Our stove has the glass top to it that folds back when the stove is in use. Therefore, we probably don't need a "backsplash", but they sure look nice. Perhaps we'll just do it for looks.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #5

Virginia
If you are having issues with things sticking you may need to prep the surface with rubbing alcohol first to clean anything that is on the surface.

Just my 2c
1st-tt2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #6

British Columbia
I have used "peel & stick" on previous RV's without issue, I have also used non stick with dabs of clear RTV adhesive with out issue. If your tastes change, the RTV will rub off. My wife has asked me to install a thin, stacked stone, along one wall this year in the kitchen so my plan is to cut 1/8" luan or mahogany door skin, laminate the stone to that, then RTV dab that to the wall, I will also use a few brads in the corners...my hope is that if I or someone else wishes to remove it, the existing wall finish will be preserved.
Fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:01 AM   #7

Oregon
It's a fairly straightforward process really and as others have stated the most important part is prep. Pre-clean with alcohol first and only install in the temperature range recommended by the product manufacturer. Totally happy with how ours turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f12.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	5234   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f13.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	5235  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:32 AM   #8

Utah
Thanks 1st-tt2018....many of these stick products suggest that. I have tried. The surfaces are very clean to begin with (brand new trailer, no dust, etc.). I believe my main problem is the temperature, which range from 0 degrees F when in storage during the winter, to however hot it gets inside between trips in summer (outside temperatures over 100 F, so who knows how hot inside). I know the 3M Command outdoor products are advertised to go from -20 to 125 F. Negative 20 is unlikely for us, but 125 is possible during a hot day.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:33 AM   #9

Utah
KatChip - that looks fantastic!! Do you recall what the temperature range for installation was? Even so, I would hope they could withstand low/high temperatures once installed.

I know these are probably not designed to be easily removed without residue like those 3M Command things are.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:44 AM   #10

Oregon
I ordered mine directly from the manufacturer (in Canada) because of the full selection. You can find them here - https://www.thesmarttiles.com/en_us/
I don't recall the temperature recommendation for installation, but I think it was above 65º. Not one issue since we installed them two years ago. We put them in the bathroom around the sink as well.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #11

Oregon
We added the peel and stick backsplash to our Denali 289RK TT in October of 2014. They were Smart Tile, and I got them on sale at Home Depot. I affixed the area from the counter-top to the bottom of the trim molding (original equipment), then added a vertical piece of molding to the left of the counter top. Best to wash down the surface to make sure all residual grease and grime are removed. The mosaic squares went on easy, except you need to get the hang of situating the next one correctly before you press down. We live in Portland Oregon, with a moderate climate. The TT is on a pad adjacent to our house, and is not covered. Since backsplash installation, we've had a couple summers with one week in 90+ degree temperature (so 120 degrees inside). There has never been a problem of adhesion failure due to temperature or vibration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	5237  

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote