Our New Voltage Is On The Way! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Washington
Our New Voltage Is On The Way!

Ok, I did it. Put up the money, our 2014 Voltage 3950 Epic II is almost built, and soon on it's way to us! I know this could go in the Toyhauler section, but I have some general questions suitable for here.

They are changing the Voltage for those interested, no more Epic II, just plain or Epic. They have made some updates and changes, I added an attachment listing the changes. Ours is going to be one of the few 2014's fitted out like a 2013. Has a couple 2014 updates, but overall a leftover on the line during model year change-over.

I have reviewed the available PDI lists, and just about any other list I could find on generally what to look out for. Read many threads on many different forums over too many hours on problems and issues. My question is this: What did you find on YOUR trailer, that needed addressing? What specifically, did you find later? Like the axles, has anyone found later during regular service that the axles didn't get enough grease? I am going to be towing the trailer from the dealer in Co. to Wa. state, that is some delivery. Yes I know it made it from Indiana to Colorado, but after that it is on MY dime. Mainly worried about the undercarriage, wheels, brakes, brake wiring, tires, that kind of thing. Not so much about the trim, some window cover messed up, a basket missing, or that your trailer was missing one of the three remotes for the tv's.
Would like to hear about what you found that affected, or could have affected of either you or your rig, the safety, performance, or could damage something if not addressed type of thing. What prompted this is both the distance I have to tow it for the first time, which is when you find what you should have found in your pre-trip inspections, and some other threads on brake/wheel bearing service and issues.
Please let me know, both bad AND good, of your experiences. I noticed after spending way to many hours reading way to many threads on all the different forums I belong to, that not enough of the good threads are out there. I hope I can add to the good experience's threads when the time comes, meaning things went good in the first place, not the bad ones!
Thanks, Mike B.

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #2

Washington
Congrats!

We bought our 2013 3950 last summer and use it much more than most (unless they are full timers).

This may be too late if you are already on your way to pick it up but I just found this thread.

We are in the state of Wa too, but I have to ask why you are buying in Colorado vs somewhere local? We found the best price around in Oregon. Seems like alot of money in diesel to haul it that far unless the price is well under what you can get it locally for and I worked dealers up and down the West coast for over two weeks and looked at ALL of the big 5th wheel toy haulers before deciding on the Voltage.

Anyways, we love it! We bought it and immediately went on a two week road trip to California. I periodically checked the hubs and axles and not once have I had to do anything to keep them greased. You should be fine driving it that many miles. We have put about 6000 miles on ours so far.

I take it to my local Voltage dealer (he is literally just up the road) for warranty issues and they always check everything over for me.

We have had few few issues with it. We spent over 3 hours during the PDI double checking every system, cabinet, etc before we left with it. Other than a few small interior trim pieces, and a backup camera that needed to be replaced, it has been smooth. I am having an issue with the auto level system right now. It works, but it will give me an error code on the panel showing that a rear sensor is not working. The dealer is awaiting parts to replace it. It still works just fine, but is a hassle to get it on and off the truck...you have to stand there and push the buttons about 100 times.

Make sure your truck is prepared to tow it. It is HEAVY when fully loaded with water and toys. I try not to haul with water but we dry camp alot in the winter and water isn't always available. Just make sure to give yourself tons of room to stop and make turns. But maybe you already have experience towing a large 5th wheel.

Nice to see another Voltage in this area. We have only seen one, maybe two on the road over the last 8 months. They have a ton in inventory in Fife. We get compliments and stares whenever we are out in it. In fact, we are headed out tomorrow to camp for the weekend.

Enjoy it! I would buy another one in a heartbeat. We have 4 people in our family and take our two dogs with us and it works awesome. Kids love being in it. I also added direct TV to it, which was easy and cheap. Great signal in all the TVs. Something to look into if you are going to be using it a lot in remote areas with no cable hookup. I have a contact of a guy that can set you up with a dish and receiver. Just let me know.

Use it! Don't let it sit! My dealer takes great care of me even though I didn't buy it there because he knows I use it all year and they like to see people out enjoying it. the only thing I would change would be the living room couch. Ours was built in June of 2012 and it came with the cloth couch. I have seen some of the 13s with the leather reclining couch. Much nicer and more comfortable after sitting on it at the Seattle RV show. You might lose the air mattress bed though..not entirely sure. but I am going to have my dealer order the leather couch and swap it out this summer.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #3

Washington
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking I wrote it in Farsi. Glad you have had a good experience with yours, hope we do too. We have not picked it up yet, not finished building it. We have the leather couch and no bed, but all four seats recline. They also changed the seating in the garage to all leather as well. We plan on using it lots, curious as to the dealer you use for work, PM if you prefer. We looked at lots of dealers trying to stay local, up and down the coast as well, gradually expanding our search. The deal in Colorado was just to good to pass up, inconvenience and all to get it. Even driving to get it and camping back, fuel and all, is still many many thousands less than the local dealers would even contemplate coming close to. Could actually buy a new toy for the back for what we are saving, thinking Can Am Commander Limited. Had one actually laugh, and had to laugh at one myself that thought I would be happy he was holding back charging me the $3k for the PDI! I actually laughed, which of course made further negotiations pointless, they didn't like it. Hopefully in the next few weeks we get to go get it, family can't wait. Also have four plus dog and sometimes extras along. looking forward to the extra space. I know about heavy, tow a 36' right now, 13.5K lbs., tried out my FIL's Raptor at 18K lbs. Actually towed nicer, maybe due to triple axle, but it is a heavy beast with a little more pin weight.
Was worried about the tires and axles, I hear they don't last long, so glad to hear you have had no issues, weight off my mind there. Actually thought about just putting new tires on in Colorado to feel better about it, happy I don't have to, YET.
You said dry camping, what type of terrain? Curious on dirt roads, I know the Voltages have more ground clearance than many I looked at, does it help much? Not planning on the Rubicon of course, just dirt roads on occasion. Again, thanks for the reply, happy yours is working out well for you.

Mike B.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N View Post
We bought our 2013 3950 last summer and use it much more than most (unless they are full timers).

This may be too late if you are already on your way to pick it up but I just found this thread.

We are in the state of Wa too, but I have to ask why you are buying in Colorado vs somewhere local? We found the best price around in Oregon. Seems like alot of money in diesel to haul it that far unless the price is well under what you can get it locally for and I worked dealers up and down the West coast for over two weeks and looked at ALL of the big 5th wheel toy haulers before deciding on the Voltage.

Anyways, we love it! We bought it and immediately went on a two week road trip to California. I periodically checked the hubs and axles and not once have I had to do anything to keep them greased. You should be fine driving it that many miles. We have put about 6000 miles on ours so far.

I take it to my local Voltage dealer (he is literally just up the road) for warranty issues and they always check everything over for me.

We have had few few issues with it. We spent over 3 hours during the PDI double checking every system, cabinet, etc before we left with it. Other than a few small interior trim pieces, and a backup camera that needed to be replaced, it has been smooth. I am having an issue with the auto level system right now. It works, but it will give me an error code on the panel showing that a rear sensor is not working. The dealer is awaiting parts to replace it. It still works just fine, but is a hassle to get it on and off the truck...you have to stand there and push the buttons about 100 times.

Make sure your truck is prepared to tow it. It is HEAVY when fully loaded with water and toys. I try not to haul with water but we dry camp alot in the winter and water isn't always available. Just make sure to give yourself tons of room to stop and make turns. But maybe you already have experience towing a large 5th wheel.

Nice to see another Voltage in this area. We have only seen one, maybe two on the road over the last 8 months. They have a ton in inventory in Fife. We get compliments and stares whenever we are out in it. In fact, we are headed out tomorrow to camp for the weekend.

Enjoy it! I would buy another one in a heartbeat. We have 4 people in our family and take our two dogs with us and it works awesome. Kids love being in it. I also added direct TV to it, which was easy and cheap. Great signal in all the TVs. Something to look into if you are going to be using it a lot in remote areas with no cable hookup. I have a contact of a guy that can set you up with a dish and receiver. Just let me know.

Use it! Don't let it sit! My dealer takes great care of me even though I didn't buy it there because he knows I use it all year and they like to see people out enjoying it. the only thing I would change would be the living room couch. Ours was built in June of 2012 and it came with the cloth couch. I have seen some of the 13s with the leather reclining couch. Much nicer and more comfortable after sitting on it at the Seattle RV show. You might lose the air mattress bed though..not entirely sure. but I am going to have my dealer order the leather couch and swap it out this summer.

Hello,

We will be buying both the 2014 3950 as well as a new tow vehicle. I'm told fully loaded we would be better off with a Ford F-450. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John T
Flying Dutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #5

Idaho
I have a buddy who pulls a 42 foot TH with a 450 and it is flat out awesome. You probably don't need it, but then again that's not always why we buy stuff!
Karlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #6

New York
You are always better going bigger and not needing it - than smaller and not be happy with the results......don't ask how we know about such a remark!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #7

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
You are always better going bigger and not needing it - than smaller and not be happy with the results......don't ask how we know about such a remark!
Ok,

So going with the 450, has anyone ever heard of anyone doing a modification and getting the truck customized with six doors with three rows? I know of a few web sites where folks do this. We've got a big family so we need seating for 7-8 and a crew cab just won't cut it.

I won't transport family in the RV!

Thanks,

John T
Flying Dutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #8

Wyoming
When I lived on Long Island, I saw a few "limos" like that. Mostly with Hummers, Lincoln SUV's, and Cadillac Escalades... but see no reason why an F-350 or 450 couldn't be made the same way.

What you'll need to look for is a custom coach builder... which is a fancy name for companies that build limos.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #9

Washington
Probably cheaper to just take two cars.....The truck and another car to haul everyone instead of modifying a crew cab with 6 doors. Plus, I am not sure what that will do to the frame of the truck if you add the extra doors and how that would affect towing capacity. I have seen some F550 and F650s on eBay that were modified with 6 doors. But they are rare.

Too bad Ford didn't make a Heavy duty excursion that would tow these beasts then you would be golden.

Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote