Norcold High Temp Switch - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 10:54 PM   #1

Washington
Norcold High Temp Switch

I posted this under the info on Toy Hauler as I own a 2015 Voltage 3818. But I wanted to put the info so more people will see it and maybe prevent this issue. In talking to the repair guys, this is a very common occurrence.
Never have I seen such a stupid setup. I had my rig washed and as soon as that water hit the exterior fridge access cover, Boom, fridge goes tilt. I investigate and looked here for answers and found this info. My rig is a 2015 and I guess it has the old switch as there is no reset and the magnet trick will not work. Had to call a mobile repair guy since we are full timers and it will take a week to get the part from Keystone. You know, a stupid 15 cent plastic cover is all it would take to protect this board from a spray of water, it is this kind of thing that really makes me angry about this manufacturer, but maybe they are all alike. So if you have not covered that switch yet, do it and save yourself a headache. Lucky that it is easy to bypass the switch and we can keep the fridge going while we wait.

ranbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #2

Oklahoma
The OEM switch I had was replaced with a switch that had a compression bracket on it. It's designed to be mounted on one of the tubes of the cooling unit and to be mounted with the cover of the switch away from water intrusion.
The original switch was screwed to the back wall where it got wet.
You are lucky the mobile wrench can get it for you since it is supposed to be a recall part and not available unless a dealer tests it first.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:13 PM   #3

Washington
The cooling tubes, these are on the inside of the unit? My switch was mounted on the backwall as you mentioned, direct in line with the vent openings (So Stupid) I see no cooling tubes on the outside, so I am wondering where it is to be mounted.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:22 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbud View Post
The cooling tubes, these are on the inside of the unit? My switch was mounted on the backwall as you mentioned, direct in line with the vent openings (So Stupid) I see no cooling tubes on the outside, so I am wondering where it is to be mounted.
The tubes are any of the tubes on the cooling unit proper. Mostly above the expansion tank or chimney. Or any of the serpentine tubes that make their way to the tank.

You can remove it from the wall and zip tie it anywhere out of the line of water.

Mine died from a tornado driven rain a few years back.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:25 PM   #5

Oklahoma
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...html#post36143 Tubes on the cooling unit, only the unit sits upright.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #6

Washington
Thanks, I'll have a look and see on my unit how it is set up.
Can you believe that they place a electronic board pointed right at an exterior opening, who the hell designs these things??? Seems even a person with no knowledge would understand this...
Old 02-01-2016, 12:01 AM   #7

Oklahoma
It was a knee jerk reaction for a CYA for Norcold. They could have potted or encapsulated the switch and prevented the water problem. Instead they redesigned the enclosure with the spring clamp so it could be relocated.

It's still open in the front where the wires connect so the potential for water intrusion is still there but somewhat mitigated.

Maybe in a few years if the limit switch is still needed it will be an encapsulated unit but until then it remains a PITA for the owners of Norcolds.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbud View Post
Thanks, I'll have a look and see on my unit how it is set up.
Can you believe that they place a electronic board pointed right at an exterior opening, who the hell designs these things??? Seems even a person with no knowledge would understand this...
Apparently the sales department. Then it is up to the production line to figure out the install.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high temp, norcold, refrigerator, switch