No mire Hulu! What’s. Next? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 03:03 AM   #1

Indiana
No mire Hulu! What’s. Next?

We got into a bit of a tussle with Hulu today. We are new Fulltimers. We had Hulu at home. They won’t let us change our location on a regular basis and they will not do anything to accommodate full time RVers. So we are looking for internet TV provider. Thinking about Sling or Direct TV now. Anyone have suggestions?

Rhoadzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:19 AM   #2

Wyoming
Well... depending on how much you travel, and where you go... I wouldn't depend on any service that requires a good internet and/or WiFi connection. You'll probably find the quality of service will not allow you to stream anything on a consistent basis.

That leaves satellite. Take your pick... Dish or DirecTV. I like DirectTV, but that's simply a personal preference.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

Florida
I use direct tv but it's a bit of an issue to get local channels. IF I were going to start over, I would probably pick DISH because you can get the HD channels with a smaller dish.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #4

Illinois
Never had Direct, but can't complain about Dish. Use it with Traveler satellite. Press one button and it finds all three satellites. Every time I move, I simply call Dish (takes 5 minutes going thru the menu) and they change my location so I get local. Haven't tried it yet but supposedly their app will let you change your own location.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #5

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoadzie View Post
We got into a bit of a tussle with Hulu today. We are new Fulltimers. We had Hulu at home. They won’t let us change our location on a regular basis and they will not do anything to accommodate full time RVers. So we are looking for internet TV provider. Thinking about Sling or Direct TV now. Anyone have suggestions?
Hulu is location specific??
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

Indiana
Yes, that was news to me until I contacted them because I was trying to use it in our Voltage. We are looking into Direct TV Now. We are staying in our current location until the end of the month and will change then.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #7

Ohio
That's just weird, I use it on my cell phone all over the place, though I guess I've never used it out of state. Learn something new every day ... I've learned my bit. Can I go home now?
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #8

Wyoming
Just guessing here, but I’m thinking it’s probably like satellite tv... you may still have the service, but you lose the ability to receive local channels and the 3 major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) when you move out of their viewing area.

On my DirecTV service, I have to call tech support and have them change my service location nearly each time I move. If I don’t, I still get the majority of channels in my package (ESPN, CNN, USA, TBS, etc...), but the local ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, independent channels, and regional sports channels are blacked out.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Just guessing here, but I’m thinking it’s probably like satellite tv... you may still have the service, but you lose the ability to receive local channels and the 3 major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) when you move out of their viewing area.

On my DirecTV service, I have to call tech support and have them change my service location nearly each time I move. If I don’t, I still get the majority of channels in my package (ESPN, CNN, USA, TBS, etc...), but the local ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, independent channels, and regional sports channels are blacked out.

It's a real pain having to call them. I use one of the receivers out of the house (pay an extra five a month for it) and when I was in Boone, I had the "S" beams dialed in but still could not get the locals. Don't have to change for the locals but ... by the way, their app sucks!
Old 06-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #10

Tennessee
I've used Directv for several years with no major problems. We just had a bad electrical storm here and a genie went out, they were there the next day to replace it.

Also use the app quite a bit with no problems.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #11

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
It's a real pain having to call them. I use one of the receivers out of the house (pay an extra five a month for it) and when I was in Boone, I had the "S" beams dialed in but still could not get the locals. Don't have to change for the locals but ... by the way, their app sucks!
Yeah, changing mine used to be a pain... but over the past couple years now, it's been easy-peasy for me. I'd call customer service, and they would usually screw things up, and have to enter the address 3 or 4 times before it would finally get accepted into the system. Then one time, they directed me over to tech support, and they got everything entered on the 1st try. After a few more occasions calling customer service, and them screwing it up... I finally decided to bypass them, and call tech support direct.

Try this number next time you move: 866-412-8482. Just have your address, and know which county your campsite is in... they'll enter it, send the bullet downstream, and you should have your locals in about 5 mins.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #12

Indiana
They said we can only move to a location 3 times per year. That just won't work for us.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #13

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoadzie View Post
They said we can only move to a location 3 times per year. That just won't work for us.
Who said that? I move at least 10-15 times/year.

If DirecTV, first off... don't tell them the service is going into an RV. Just set it up as home service. When the installer gets there... if he/she asks... just tell them this is your home.

When you change locations, and call tech support... just tell them you need to change the service location, not the billing address.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #14

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I've used Directv for several years with no major problems. We just had a bad electrical storm here and a genie went out, they were there the next day to replace it.

Also use the app quite a bit with no problems.
When you attempt to watch on an iPad, you get less than half of the channels that you would get when you watch TV. you also don't get your local channels (maybe ONE). it is not rated very well in the app store.