Newbie Question - Is Ext Warranty Worth It? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2018, 11:54 PM   #1

California
Newbie Question - Is Ext Warranty Worth It?

Sorry for the dummy question but were about done wrapping up our financing with our new aspen trail. The bank offered us 4 - year ext warranty for around $3k.

Our understanding is its covering only tows and mechanical.

Here is our warranty info -
https://www.sefinancial.com/rvs-campers/warranties/

Additional info -
https://www.sefinancial.com/wp-conte...2018075647.pdf

My question is does this seem worth the $3k? Are there better options for us to buy on our own. So much info is out there it is helpful for me to ask on here from Pros that have been around the block before with this sort of thing.

Cheers!

Cali_Dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:10 AM   #2

California
Of course this is just my opinion. The factory warranty is just barely worth having and extended warranties are pretty much a waste of money. Unless you have some kind of major failure. Most of the small things that are covered by the warranty will take so long to schedule and actually fix that it's just not worth having. It seems most dealers/warranty service shops are happy to fix your RV as long as you are willing to drop it off, allow them a few weeks to determine whats wrong. allow another couple of weeks to get factory approval to make the repairs, another couple weeks to ship parts from the factory (that are available locally) and yet another couple of weeks to make the repairs that will undoubtedly be substandard when it's all said and done with. You are just better off doing the repairs yourself or finding a good RV shop that works for cash. Save your money!!!

Old 03-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

Illinois
This has been an issue that has been debated since the beginning of time. You'll find as many people who like them as not. Depends on a lot of variables. Are you handy? Do you have a lot of high end items in your RV? How often do you use the RV? Also depends on the warranty company and the coverage. I have ExtraRide with Platinum coverage with a consequential damage as well as tire rider. 7 year transferable policy. Pricey? Yes. Almost 5 grand, but I have over a hundred grand tied up in my RV and I'm not a real handy guy. Plus we spend winters in Florida in it for 6 months at a time. I've used the policy 4 or 5 times in the 2 years I've had it. Got my money back yet? No, but I have 5 years to go. Plus what price do you put on piece of mind. When I've had issues when we're in Florida, the mobile tech rolls his fee into the bill. I simply pay my $100 deductible. I don't have to worry about pre-approval or anything else. No hooking up and driving to a repair center. For me, it's worth it.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

Florida
I had to use my extended warranty to repair my slide in the living room. Was just out of manufacturer warranty so I would have had to pay for them to remove the slide. Have I gotten my $$$ back yet, almost. Is it worth it? I think so if you spread the cost out over the five years term. If you use your RV alot, yes, I think I would get a good warranty.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #5

Arizona
I wouldn't be without one considering how poorly built trailers are these days. They build them as quick as possible and kick'em out the door. You never know if you're going to get a lemon.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #6

Florida
Besides, you're subjecting these things to hurricane force winds when you tow and shaking it more than it would in an earthquake. get the warranty but make sure it will cover everything. there is another thread here somewhere that discusses warranties.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...anty-5822.html
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #7

North Carolina
We purchased our Voltage used. the dealership offered an extended warranty, but we researched and found one we liked better. It also covers the wheels/tires on the tow vehicle. And as luck would have it, we had a tire blow out on the truck on the way home with the trailer. We paid out of pocket for roadside tire service but were reimbursed minus The $100 deductible. We paid 3K for 4 years bumper to bumper. The peace of mind is totally worth it to us Our previous trailer the fridge quit ONE month out of warranty. $1500 to fix or $3000 to replace. That taught us the need for warranty!
DebNSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #8

Tennessee
3k buys a lot of stuff to do repairs with if your handy. Some people are willing and able to do their own work and some aren't. There's no right or wrong answer. My dealer actually talked me out of one and it worked out for us, but everyone's situation is different.