New V4000 Toy Hauler - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
TSK

Texas
New V4000 Toy Hauler

Hello. My name is Aaron, and I just purchased the camper above. It is a 2016 model. I noticed when I picked it up there seemed to be a lot of dust, shavings on the floor like you would see after drilling holes, etc. there were a few good sized scratches that I saw during the walk-through, and the tech that was showing me the unit fixed it with a touch up pen. The bathroom doors, and the inside door to the garage don't latch unless you pick up on the door. Looking in the compartments, everything looks new, but I see things here and there, like the generator cover has a chip on the lower corner, and other thigs like that which makes me wonder.

Are these things normal on a new camper?

TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #2

Nevada
TSK, yes to somethings being in need of adjustment, but your dealer should have cleaned and repaired everything you noticed before you took it off the lot, if you have it at home, go try everything NOW and then contact the Dealer to get everything repaired, once you took it off the lot, it may take a long time to get it back in......All things should have been repaired before you even sign the paper work, Its a lot of cash you just put out and you should have a little service!! Good Luck and let us know how your Dealer is
Rich

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK View Post
Hello. My name is Aaron, and I just purchased the camper above. It is a 2016 model. I noticed when I picked it up there seemed to be a lot of dust, shavings on the floor like you would see after drilling holes, etc. there were a few good sized scratches that I saw during the walk-through, and the tech that was showing me the unit fixed it with a touch up pen. The bathroom doors, and the inside door to the garage don't latch unless you pick up on the door. Looking in the compartments, everything looks new, but I see things here and there, like the generator cover has a chip on the lower corner, and other thigs like that which makes me wonder.

Are these things normal on a new camper?
Hey, Aaron

Congrats on your new camper and welcome to the forum.

It is not unusual for construction debris to be left behind, but it is usually found in places that don't show.

Unfortunately Quality Control is pretty much non-existant in the RV industry and Thor Industry products seems to be the worst.

My belief is that they ship whatever comes of the line, the dealer is supposed to go through the unit and correct any of the defects. Some dealers do a good job of the PDI, others not so much.

Most folks fix many of these sort of things themselves, which is what I believe the manufacturer and a lot of dealers count on. Keeps the profit margin intact.

It's too bad that you have already taken delivery, the advise from many on this forum is to not sign the final papers and take delivery before everything is to your satisfaction. Once you take delivery the dealer no longer has any interest and now you are in the line up and wait. There have been stories on this forum of folks having there camper stuck on the dealers lot for mounths on end, as the warranty process works it way through the maze.

While to items that you raised won't really impact the servicability of you unit, they are annoyances. The thing that you want to be doing is making sure the important stuff like, the furnace, fridge, A/C, etc are functioning the way they are supposed to.

Hopefully these will be the only concerns you have.

Jim
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
TSK

Texas
Thank you both. I kind of figured that. I got it from Explore USA RV in Seguin, TX. I also got a 5 year warranty, so I plan to have things fixed. Everything worked when I left, and I double checked everything yesterday. Seemed like all was good. I will go over everything in the next day again just to be sure.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
If you open up behind any cabinets or other dead spaces have the vacuum handy, along with a bag of zip ties. You will probably have sawdust and other shavings showing up for a while as the stuff settles out from the various cavities.

Some surface scratches are inevitable, especially if someone has been careless in assembly. As far as the doors not closing properly sounds like a simple adjustment of the strike plate might be all it takes, if it requires more than that, have it fixed under warranty.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

California
The other place to check for shavings is your faucets. Unscrew the nozzles & clean the screens out. The filter on my water pump also got plugged & I had to do the same with it.

Also welcome
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:34 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The other place to check for shavings is your faucets. Unscrew the nozzles & clean the screens out. The filter on my water pump also got plugged & I had to do the same with it.

Also welcome
There is also a a sediment screen just before the pump, that stops the grit and debis out of the pump.

Amazing how much sand and rust it collects over a season.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:56 AM   #8

Nevada
Its been awhile, how is your 4000

RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote