Need advice - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eagle
Posts: 109
Idaho
Need advice

I have a Voltage 3905. It has a small TV in the cubbyhole above the washer/dryer hookups. We enjoy spending time in the garage/patio/lanai and were thinking of putting in a larger TV on the wall that serves as the back wall of the double bed that is accessed from the gallery, but projects into the garage area. We have a 32" TV that we were using in the house and it is a very nice Sony Bravia. The panel I was thinking of putting it on, appears to actually be two panels...one on the garage side and separated from the panel at the back of the bed area by around 2 inches. So, I'm guessing that there is a two by something board at the sides that the two panels attach to. Anyway, this is what appears to be just simple dead air space. Anyway, the panels are very flimsy and since they are separated from each other by dead air space, I am sure I can't just hang the TV on a single panel...the screws/bolts or whatever, would surely pull loose as soon as we started moving. SOOOO>>>> what I am thinking of doing is to use Liquid Nails to attach an 8"X1" board (about 19" long) to the garage side, and a 2"X8" board to the bed side (also using Liquid Nails. And then, using lag screws to go from the TV wall mount on the garage side, into the board on the bed side. These are stout enough that I'm thinking they will basically create a "unit" between the two boards...and with the boards spreading the weight along a good part of each panel, that this should be sufficient to take a thin, flimsy panel, and turn it into a more useable panel. Hopefully my description does a good enough job of explaining my plan. If there are any engineering-minded folks out there who can comment on my approach, I'd appreciate it.

I just can't see us being happy with the little TV when we have that wide open unused space where we could (hopefully) hang a nice (and larger) TV. Now that I have my DirecTV mini-genie system up and running, I have to figure out a safe and secure way to make this work.

Final thing...I am not looking for a professional opinion. I will NOT hold anyone responsible for advice. I will make the final decision and be responsible for ANY and ALL problems that might result. So, please, only looking for opinions, so if you have one, please share. If things don't work out well...well, I certainly will NOT blame anyone. So, here is the disclaimer absolving any/all from ANY problems that might result. I take on FULL and sole responsibility for this endeavor.
__________________

PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dalzell
Posts: 704
South Carolina
Your wall board "sandwich" may not reach studs on either side, and may squeeze the hollow wall. Better to mount a 1 x 6 x whatever on the garage wall, hitting studs on either side. Then you can mount your TV bracket to the 1 x 6 with the largest size wood screw that will fit in the bracket holes.
__________________

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 183
Oklahoma
I thought about putting a TV up there, but when I was holding up the cardboard cutout to get the position right, the wife said that after a few minutes of looking at it her neck hurt. We taped it up there, and after looking at it for 10 minutes, we scrapped that idea.
__________________
2010 F-450
2013 Voltage 3905
macman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
DesertRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Desert Hot Springs
Posts: 1,760
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
I thought about putting a TV up there, but when I was holding up the cardboard cutout to get the position right, the wife said that after a few minutes of looking at it her neck hurt. We taped it up there, and after looking at it for 10 minutes, we scrapped that idea.
That's where mine is mounted on my V3605. As I only have a 11' garage it's not a idea place by any means.
__________________
Mike
2002 42' Monaco Signature Triple Crown tow 2014 F-150
2014 Voltage V3605 Sold 5/3/17
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
arlan in arizona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Quartzsite
Posts: 682
Arizona
In my 2013 3905 that is where the television is located. I just re-designed the television mount so the television is angled downward somewhat. I didn't bother to take any photos as I did think anyone would be interested.

Have you used a stud finder to is what is in there. Mine had backing about 12 inch on center up there. It also has a plug, coax, and red/white/yellow RCA's.

You can't see the TV unless you have the bed pinned up high. I also made new bed stop pin holes so the the top bed was out of the way to watch the TV. But that blocked the flow of the Air Conditioner.

It's always something.

On edit....What were your plans for power and coax it that location?
__________________
2013 Voltage 3905
2013 F350 4x4 DRW
2013 RZR XP 900
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eagle
Posts: 109
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
In my 2013 3905 that is where the television is located. I just re-designed the television mount so the television is angled downward somewhat. I didn't bother to take any photos as I did think anyone would be interested.

Have you used a stud finder to is what is in there. Mine had backing about 12 inch on center up there. It also has a plug, coax, and red/white/yellow RCA's.

You can't see the TV unless you have the bed pinned up high. I also made new bed stop pin holes so the the top bed was out of the way to watch the TV. But that blocked the flow of the Air Conditioner.

It's always something.

On edit....What were your plans for power and coax it that location?
I figured I would run the cables (HDMI and power cord) into the bed area, drop them straight down the wall and then along the edge of the bed and then down into where the TV currently is. I'd think they would only be visible for the short drop from where they enter the bed area, straight down to where they disappear behind the bed. I don't anticipate ever using that area as a bed anyway.
PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
arlan in arizona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Quartzsite
Posts: 682
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGento View Post
I figured I would run the cables (HDMI and power cord) into the bed area, drop them straight down the wall and then along the edge of the bed and then down into where the TV currently is. I'd think they would only be visible for the short drop from where they enter the bed area, straight down to where they disappear behind the bed. I don't anticipate ever using that area as a bed anyway.
That would work. Like I said, my 3905 has backing there. Yours may be different.

Does your 3905 have a spot in that bed area for a TV. Mine has a recessed area above the pantry with coax and power for a TV.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3905
2013 F350 4x4 DRW
2013 RZR XP 900
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:03 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eagle
Posts: 109
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
That would work. Like I said, my 3905 has backing there. Yours may be different.

Does your 3905 have a spot in that bed area for a TV. Mine has a recessed area above the pantry with coax and power for a TV.
Yes, there is a recessed area in mine just as you describe.
__________________

PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×