MOUSE Attack! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Oklahoma
MOUSE Attack!

As I was doing my clean up and maintenance of the 3800 I noticed the Zone 2 A/C wasn't working. No action at all so I did the Mode/Zone reset thing to find Zone 2 wasn't listed.

Did all the usual things such as making sure the RJ12 connections are clean and tight in the Zone 1 A/C. Checked the same connections on the Zone 2 A/C and they looked good and even checked at the control board on the A/C.

Nothing obvious so I started tugging on wires to see if perhaps there was a hidden junction box stuffed in the ceiling for the Zone 2 A/C. I did find a lot of wire coming out of the butchered hole the blind installers made with a claw hammer or some other blunt object. Pulled more wire and the end comes out. The chewed end! Neatly gnawed apart halfway between the two A/Cs.

The signal wire from Z1 and Z2 goes through a hole punched into the fresh air intake of Z1. Of course all the wiring is carefully placed in the ceiling cavity never to be seen again unless either the roof or the ceiling is breached. Not an option of course but I still have to get the signal wire repaired for the Z2 A/C to operate.

I have a plan so it's not a total disaster.

BTW, those of you that believe Irish Spring or some other fragrant soap keep mice out of drawers and other places, it doesn't. I have teeth marks on my soap pieces that were placed in different spots to keep the critters at bay. I opened the big slide and saw white flakes on the floor as the slide extended. Being curious I pinched some and smelled it. Strange smell but not quite like a new bar of soap. Upon further investigation I opened the drawer closest to the trail of white stuff. That's where I saw the turds and the teeth marks on the soap.
It's a never ending battle to keep then out. I had one living in my car. Little bastich ate my granola bar that was being saved for hard times and then ate some chewing gum and then ate part of my vehicle registration. I was so hoping to get stopped by the police so I could hand what was left of the registration to him/her. The other day I drove the pet mouse to Lowe's and bought it a nice new trap. BAM, 24 hours later the bandit was smooshed in the jaws of the trap.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #2

Tennessee
I'm learning that nothing but old school traps are effective for those little buggers.

And sealing up every tiny opening you can find.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #3

Colorado
I use a product called "Fresh Cab". It is the only thing I have found to work. I live in the country surrounded by corn, alfalfa, and sorghum fields. I had a big mouse problem until I started using it. My local Ace hardware has it.

2017 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2004 F-250 Super Duty King Ranch
paul5097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

Wyoming
I have one of those electronic sonic discouragers in my unit.
Hope your repairs go smoothly!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I have one of those electronic sonic discouragers in my unit.
Hope your repairs go smoothly!

I purchased two boxes of Fresh Cab at Tractor Supply yesterday and dropped them in various places in the RV and the car and truck. We'll see as it gets colder and the critters are looking for shelter.

The repair is on hold until the plenum wire arrives. Our great Lowe's store doesn't carry the wire by the foot anymore but they do have a small coil of 250 feet for nearly 80 bucks. I need 20 feet so I had to go online and get it.

I've noticed lately, as consumers, we are forced to purchase large quantities of products when we only need small quantities. Good for them but an eventual waste of money for us. This marketing idea is pushing us further away from the big box places to the Internet for our purchases.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #6

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
<snip>

I've noticed lately, as consumers, we are forced to purchase large quantities of products when we only need small quantities. Good for them but an eventual waste of money for us. This marketing idea is pushing us further away from the big box places to the Internet for our purchases.
I've noticed the same. I needed some PVC cement for a small job under my home kitchen sink, so I went to get the bottle I had in the shed only to find it was dried out. When I went to Lowes, I found the bottles are now much larger (and twice the price), so in 5 years when I need it again, I'll have even more to throw away.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Mothballs work, but I would not recommend them for occupied spaces. They stink.
Mothballs worked on a tractor stored in a barn and now keeps hornets from nesting in a shed.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
As I was doing my clean up and maintenance of the 3800 I noticed the Zone 2 A/C wasn't working. No action at all so I did the Mode/Zone reset thing to find Zone 2 wasn't listed.

Did all the usual things such as making sure the RJ12 connections are clean and tight in the Zone 1 A/C. Checked the same connections on the Zone 2 A/C and they looked good and even checked at the control board on the A/C.

Nothing obvious so I started tugging on wires to see if perhaps there was a hidden junction box stuffed in the ceiling for the Zone 2 A/C. I did find a lot of wire coming out of the butchered hole the blind installers made with a claw hammer or some other blunt object. Pulled more wire and the end comes out. The chewed end! Neatly gnawed apart halfway between the two A/Cs.

The signal wire from Z1 and Z2 goes through a hole punched into the fresh air intake of Z1. Of course all the wiring is carefully placed in the ceiling cavity never to be seen again unless either the roof or the ceiling is breached. Not an option of course but I still have to get the signal wire repaired for the Z2 A/C to operate.

I have a plan so it's not a total disaster.

BTW, those of you that believe Irish Spring or some other fragrant soap keep mice out of drawers and other places, it doesn't. I have teeth marks on my soap pieces that were placed in different spots to keep the critters at bay. I opened the big slide and saw white flakes on the floor as the slide extended. Being curious I pinched some and smelled it. Strange smell but not quite like a new bar of soap. Upon further investigation I opened the drawer closest to the trail of white stuff. That's where I saw the turds and the teeth marks on the soap.
It's a never ending battle to keep then out. I had one living in my car. Little bastich ate my granola bar that was being saved for hard times and then ate some chewing gum and then ate part of my vehicle registration. I was so hoping to get stopped by the police so I could hand what was left of the registration to him/her. The other day I drove the pet mouse to Lowe's and bought it a nice new trap. BAM, 24 hours later the bandit was smooshed in the jaws of the trap.
In my 2018 Coleman 2405BH, I found a huge nest in my oven!!! If an oven is air tight how’d they get in. This is a never ending battle. I’ve had mice trapped in traps placed on the floor, and before I could empty it other mice ate the carcass! They’ve chewed on my mattress and leave their calling cards all over the place. I can see daylight on the inside from a space in my slide out when it is closed. I’ve tried all the smelly drier sheets, electronic repellers and even a Glade automatic dispenser. If I don’t win the war I’m selling!!
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Cab Fresh is in my RV now, it's under the hood and inside my truck and car. It's under the seat of my motorcycles.
I buy it by the case and change it out every so often.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:57 PM   #10

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
In my 2018 Coleman 2405BH, I found a huge nest in my oven!!! If an oven is air tight how’d they get in…
Sorry to hear of your trouble, but… who ever said an oven was air tight? It’s gotta be ventilated, otherwise expanding hot air inside would create a hazard. On my Atwood unit, the vent exits are in the rear, up top, right behind my 3 stove burners.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #11

Pennsylvania
I also live in the middle of fields have had mouse problems in the past. Needless to say my wife was not a happy girl when she discovered the mess in the spring.

A few years ago, in desperation, instead of disposing of our cat box deposits in the usual fashion I put a few clumps in an old pie pan and placed it in the middle of the unit (181E) and a second one under the axles. Not a single mouse visitor since!

Maybe luck, maybe not.
rcpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #12

Florida
Maybe there is a market for what my wife’s cat leaves behind every day!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:28 AM   #13

Illinois
I tried Grandpa Gus', mouse repellent. Well it seemed to work the 1st year, but not the 2nd year. Am going try the fresh cab this year. I also live in corn and soy bean country
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #14

Florida
Wife got Citronella candles in the small metal bucket (Do not light)
And also Irish Spring soap bars. We just need them open in the storage compartment and under the sink works great no more rat or pest problems
All our best central FLA
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #15

Illinois
Thanks
Old 11-19-2021, 02:35 AM   #16

Illinois
Same with me, worked 1 year but not after that, Grandpa Gus'
Old 11-20-2021, 02:05 AM   #17

Florida