Mixing valves - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #1

Washington
Mixing valves

I have a 2016 V 3818 toy hauler. took out on first trip and no hot water or luke worm at some faucets. Did normal checks, hot water tank is getting water and is hot. both electric and gas working. Dealer stated that the mixing valve is open, said that they are located behind hot water tank. I took off access panel under fridge to see back of tank. There are no mixing valves in that location. Went to dealer and they should me on another the model what to look for. Does anybody have this same model and year and had same problem? Where are the mixing valves located? any help with this would be great!!! I am trying to save time and not drag it back to dealer and have it in service for 2 weeks.

mrteryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrteryx View Post
I have a 2016 V 3818 toy hauler. took out on first trip and no hot water or luke worm at some faucets. Did normal checks, hot water tank is getting water and is hot. both electric and gas working. Dealer stated that the mixing valve is open, said that they are located behind hot water tank. I took off access panel under fridge to see back of tank. There are no mixing valves in that location. Went to dealer and they should me on another the model what to look for. Does anybody have this same model and year and had same problem? Where are the mixing valves located? any help with this would be great!!! I am trying to save time and not drag it back to dealer and have it in service for 2 weeks.
If you have an outside shower check to make sure the valves are closed. That's one mixing valve. The kitchen has another and the inside shower but if they were open there'd be water running.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #3

Florida
There are no "mixing valves" as such, but the most common occurance of mixing occurs at the out door shower hookup. Make sure both faucet knobs there are turned off otherwise you will get exactly what you discribed.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #4

Washington
Thank you. I will check the outside shower. And the one your talking about in the kitchen and shower are the regular faucet valves right?
Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

Washington
thank you tom, I will check that out. makes perfect sense
Old 05-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Thom is correct, no actual mixing valves in the RV. All are faucets.

We can't even call them manual mixing valves even though the water is mixed in the manifold manually to the temperature desired.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Outside chance that the winterizing valves are in the wrong position? There are typically 3 valves involved. If the the bypass is in the wrong position it will allow cold water to mix with the hot.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #8

Washington
Yes I double checked those, I only have 2 and they are in the normal position.
I will know soon if its my outside shower valves.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
There are no "mixing valves" as such, but the most common occurance of mixing occurs at the out door shower hookup. Make sure both faucet knobs there are turned off otherwise you will get exactly what you described.
100% agree my PDI even went over that problem as he said he gets that question all the time.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:26 AM   #10

California
Long Shot

But maybe a more direct method of diagnosing flow. Pull the valve body apart on the offending faucets and make sure they are not clogged/blocked. Additionally you could remove the plastic line from the faucet and flow it into a container or longer hose routed outside. Lastly, kinked lines? They don't seem to have any standards when it comes to installation. If the water lines are bent to sharp, they can kink and restrict flow. Hot water lines are more susceptible since they get easier to bend as they warm up.
I agree with the outdoor shower situation. If you have a hose shutoff (in the off position) and both hot and cold water valves in the on position, you could experience some back-flow between hot and cold water lines.
Good Luck, curious to know what/how you finally resolve it!
Old 05-28-2016, 10:59 PM   #11

California
Rob,

Thanks for posting this info. We have been fighting this hot water issue with our new 3805. After reading it I ran out and checked our outdoor water faucet set. Yup!! That was it!

Thanks
Chuck

Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote