Mice - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #1

Ontario
Mice

Hi all was wondering if anyone had used the spray on product Mouse Free if so whats the verdict. We used to use moth balls and drier sheets in our older Keystone but they just stank the trailer and everything out for weeks/months after reopening.

We will be trying Mouse Free this winter in our 2015 Coleman so will let you know how it goes.

madrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #2

Arizona
How about a bucket, with 2" of water on the bottom. Get a small bottle of Gatorade and drain it. Drill a hole on the lid (centered) and on the bottom of the bottle (centered). You will be sticking a thin metal stick thru it and you want the bottle to be well balanced. Then drill 2 holes on the top of the bucket (opposite sides) and then thread this metal stick thru the bucket and bottle. Then put peanut butter on the outside of the bottle, then put a stick on the floor and lean it on the bucket so the mice can climb up and onto the top of the bucket and attempt to get to the bottle and eat the peanut butter. My brother did this and he got buckets full of mice and eventually eradicated the mice issue.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrab View Post
Hi all was wondering if anyone had used the spray on product Mouse Free if so whats the verdict. We used to use moth balls and drier sheets in our older Keystone but they just stank the trailer and everything out for weeks/months after reopening.

We will be trying Mouse Free this winter in our 2015 Coleman so will let you know how it goes.
I use ultrasonic pest control, they require 120V so my TT is plugged in all the time.

I've been using them for 15+ years and the year the I didn't plug the trailer in when we were winterizing it was the year a squirel dicided he want a nice new home for winter. I happened to have a project the I was wouking on and about the beginning of December I found the little bugger and served him and eviction notice.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmons View Post
How about a bucket, with 2" of water on the bottom. Get a small bottle of Gatorade and drain it. Drill a hole on the lid (centered) and on the bottom of the bottle (centered). You will be sticking a thin metal stick thru it and you want the bottle to be well balanced. Then drill 2 holes on the top of the bucket (opposite sides) and then thread this metal stick thru the bucket and bottle. Then put peanut butter on the outside of the bottle, then put a stick on the floor and lean it on the bucket so the mice can climb up and onto the top of the bucket and attempt to get to the bottle and eat the peanut butter. My brother did this and he got buckets full of mice and eventually eradicated the mice issue.
I like that method, I like mousey log rolling.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I use ultrasonic pest control, they require 120V so my TT is plugged in all the time.
I might get a couple of those this year, but we have never had a problem before.

We have garden snakes in the yard getting fat and sassy on a diet of mice, and two dogs that love to help the snakes when not trying to catch the snakes. We also have a hot tub and the heated equipment compartment is much more attractive to mice than a cold trailer.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmons View Post
Inside or outside the RV?
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash View Post
Inside or outside the RV?
Mice problem usually start outside, so set it up outside. Or you can do both outside and inside.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

New York
If you do it inside - make sure you check weekly and empty the bucket.......
We store our TH in a barn a couple of towns over - we saw this "set up" when we put the trailer into storage - came back in the spring and the barn stunk - the owners of the trailer behind us were there to pick up also....they were in for a rude surprise when they opened their trailer - they had the same set up inside - with dead mice - trailer was in storage from October to May......

We have been at this storage site for 8 or 9 years and have never seen a mouse - barn cats but no mice! I think the smell of the food may have enticed them into the trailer....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #9

Alberta
I can also testify for the electronic mouse deterents.
We leave the trailer plugged in and put 3 or 4 of them in and we have never had mice either.
1958 Mooney M20A
russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #10

Texas
Peppermint Oil

Last year I sold a second home that my daughters lived in away at college. They all had dogs and the dog food stored in the garage attracted mice.

I tried several things to get rid of them without 100% success.

What finally eliminated the problem... peppermint oil!!!

You simply soak a cotton ball in peppermint oil and spread them around the space in plastic cups so not to leave any stains.

The mice can't stand the smell, so they just leave, and this method does not leave any dead mice around to stink up the place.

It does have a strong scent, that is not unpleasant, and will air out after disposing of the cotton balls.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:43 AM   #11

Colorado
trial run

gonna give it a try
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1435  
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:01 AM   #12

Missouri
Quote:
gonna give it a try
thanks for the picture, I think I might try it as well.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #13

Florida
We don't have enough snakes or cats to control mice, and I noticed tiny styrofoam beads (ceiling insulation) coming out through the air duct grilles of our Kodiak 240RBSL. I removed the grille in Bathroom ceiling and placed a TomCat Sticky Goo tray in the duct forward. (Home Depot). Caught 4 mice in two days with three trays, and appear to have eradicated the critters....no more beads. One hint...tie a small stick to the tray (hanging out the port) so they can't move it out of reach during their struggle to get free.
JimGriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Last year I sold a second home that my daughters lived in away at college. They all had dogs and the dog food stored in the garage attracted mice.

I tried several things to get rid of them without 100% success.

What finally eliminated the problem... peppermint oil!!!

You simply soak a cotton ball in peppermint oil and spread them around the space in plastic cups so not to leave any stains.

The mice can't stand the smell, so they just leave, and this method does not leave any dead mice around to stink up the place.

It does have a strong scent, that is not unpleasant, and will air out after disposing of the cotton balls.
+1, peppermint oil works. Keeps critters out of your RV.

Now- '07 Trailmanor 2720. Soon- Lance 1985
TV- '13 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost w/ MaxTow Pkg
Redtail cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
gonna give it a try
That works, a swimming pool with a drivingboard for mice.

I use a sonic pest control, plug it in, lock up the camper, and them little sckers don't want to go near it.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #16

Oklahoma
I'll add to Splash's critter killer. Instead of the peanut smeared bottle I'd mount a motion activated squirrel cage motor with peanut butter inside the cage.
Mouse goes inside the cage for the peanut butter, activates the motor and gets centrifuged to smithereens and drops to the bottom of the bucket
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I'll add to Splash's critter killer. Instead of the peanut smeared bottle I'd mount a motion activated squirrel cage motor with peanut butter inside the cage.
Mouse goes inside the cage for the peanut butter, activates the motor and gets centrifuged to smithereens and drops to the bottom of the bucket
I like it!

sundancer, did you pull the wings off of flies when you were a kid. :
Old 11-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #18

Wyoming
Quote:
...Mouse goes inside the cage for the peanut butter, activates the motor and gets centrifuged to smithereens and drops to the bottom of the bucket
How nice... a little carnival ride AND a pool!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #19

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
How nice... a little carnival ride AND a pool!
And they think I'm ill
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
And they think I'm ill
But it's all them other people that are ill, I'm normal.