Lost a tire - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #1

Ontario
Lost a tire

Well to say the least, that was an experience. had a lovely weekend camping at a provincial park and was on our way home. Cruise was locked in at 99 Kph or 60 mph, everything was fine and out of the blue no shake, no indication, the back of the truck dropped. My first thought was we blew a tire till out of the side view mirror I see a tire flying across the highway. several hundred feet later I get the truck stopped and off the highway. Rear passenger tire is MIA but of course the tire didn't just come off without hitting the fender edge before coming off and of course it could just roll off into the ditch, but nope it had to introduce itself to the RV before it left. took the fender flare off and crushed the skirting. The flying tire never hit anyone else and no one was injured. just gonna be and expensive day getting it all fixed. And thank god for CAA RV plus (AMA), it just paid for itself this year and for the next few. Wish there was a moral to this story like check your lug torques or something but in this case every lug was sheared off. RAM was the last company to have the wheels off when they balanced the tire about 6000 kms ago. I'll talk to them today but after 6000 kms I doubt they'll take responsibility. All in all it could have been a lot worse. Does any one have any idea how I might go about determining which RV fender flare and skirting to order and how to change the skirting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180806_145810.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	4886   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180806_145802.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	4887   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180806_145818.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	4888  

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

Florida
WOW, that's quite a story. Usually it's the other way around, the RV tires explode and take out something one the RV. not sure you can get replacement skirting for your RV. I'm sure someone will chime in and give you some ideas. Good luck!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #3

Oklahoma
So many things could have turned out differently but I'd say you skated through this setback.

You can get the thin Aluminum skirt from the Dutchman but you'll have to purchase a 12 foot stick and pay freight charges. Or, stop by an HVAC shop and ask them to order an 8 foot sheet of it. They can get it in white. Take a small piece so they can match the thickness. They will bend it for you also. It will be cheaper than the freight charge. Or, remove the damaged part and take it to the HVAC shop and see if they can fabricate a replacement. You may have to prime and paint the replacement part but is it a cheaper repair.
This is based on my experience in Oklahoma, YMMV up there in the GWN.

The fender skirt is available. Like Frank said, someone will chime in and give you an addy for the skirt.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #4

Texas
Wow, sorry to hear about your loss, tire that is. JK. Could have been a lot worse for sure. Glad no one was hurt, material things can be fixed. I agree with the HVAC repair, they work with that stuff making air handlers and ducts all the time. Make sure you check with a big company that does commercial work as they may be better suited.

Please keep us posted, especially on the Ram repair a d possible cause.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

California
I would venture to say those wheel nuts were over torqued. All wheel studs broke. If wheel lug nuts were under torqued the wheel would have come loose and a attentive driver would hear a noise and feel vibration before all the studs sheared off.
You might want to think about the wheel studs on the other three wheels ??
These type of things really do suck! Feel bad for you .
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
Wow, sorry to hear about your loss, tire that is. JK. Could have been a lot worse for sure. Glad no one was hurt, material things can be fixed. I agree with the HVAC repair, they work with that stuff making air handlers and ducts all the time. Make sure you check with a big company that does commercial work as they may be better suited.

Please keep us posted, especially on the Ram repair a d possible cause.
[QUOTE=sundancer 87;62049]So many things could have turned out differently but I'd say you skated through this setback.

I agree could have been much worse. I will look into the HVAC thing, but the local Dutchmen dealer says they have the skirting in stock and since i only need about three or four feet of it they can just cut to size for me.

I will keep everyone posted about the RAM repair as things happen.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #7

Ontario
Thank you everyone for the responses. All in all, this turned out as good as anyone could have hoped for what happened. The axle looks fine, all that need to be replaced on the truck is the rotor, axle nut, studs, a new tire/rim and TPMS. Cost around $2000. Repair to the trailer, still waiting on quote, but told it should be around $600 for the fender flare and skirting, I'll do the repair myself. RAM is inspecting all the other studs. they don't recommend changing them all on spec, but it was up to me as I'm paying the bill. I think I'll be fine if they inspect them.

Again thank everyone for the input and information.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers View Post
Thank you everyone for the responses. All in all, this turned out as good as anyone could have hoped for what happened. The axle looks fine, all that need to be replaced on the truck is the rotor, axle nut, studs, a new tire/rim and TPMS. Cost around $2000. Repair to the trailer, still waiting on quote, but told it should be around $600 for the fender flare and skirting, I'll do the repair myself. RAM is inspecting all the other studs. they don't recommend changing them all on spec, but it was up to me as I'm paying the bill. I think I'll be fine if they inspect them.

IF you have COMPREHENSIVE on your auto coverage, you can put a claim in for your auto insurance and all you will be responsible for is the deduct... May cover the trailer too.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:

600 hundred seems very high if you are doing to repair it yourself.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #10

Louisiana
Quote:
..., a new tire/rim and TPMS.
Were you unable to recover the wheel/tire? If so, why?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:22 AM   #11

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
600 hundred seems very high if you are doing to repair it yourself.
Just going of what the dealer told me on parts $400 for the fender flair but I will check online for a better price once I get the part number, and $100-$150 for the skirting, still waiting on the quote. So I guess $550 is more accurate guess a this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
Were you unable to recover the wheel/tire? If so, why?
I spent 5.5 hours looking for the tire and rim in almost 7ft tall grass and cats tails, followed by dense thick trees and brush. no impact marks or any sign of where the tire entered the ditch, I did find two deep ponds and my guess would be the tire ended up in one of them.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Someone on here has a great link to RV replacement parts. I think it might be ATCguy.

I replaced a quarter panel on my 3800 including black vinyl but no fender flair for around 150 bucks but that was US bucks.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:51 AM   #13

Arizona
This thread is precisely why I re-torque my wheels when anyone else works on my vehicles. Everyone should double check their torques.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:31 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
This thread is precisely why I re-torque my wheels when anyone else works on my vehicles. Everyone should double check their torques.
Last spring I had Discount Tire replace my trailer's tires. According to the specs for my aluminum wheels the lug nuts should be torqued to 90-100 Ft-Lbs. I noticed that the torque stick that the technician used was blue in color which according to my research is set for 80 ft-lbs. He should have use the grey one for 100 ft-lbs. I tightened them to 95 ft-lbs immediately after bringing the rig home. Seems to be a common problem.