Lite roofs and RV covers - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Arizona
Lite roofs and RV covers

Dutchmen tells me I have a no walk roof, how are you guys putting on the storage covers if you can't walk around up there?

Yamaha YXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha YXZ View Post
Dutchmen tells me I have a no walk roof, how are you guys putting on the storage covers if you can't walk around up there?

No walk roof?

Gee another item to research hmmmmm.

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #3

Tennessee
Bunch of crap. Did they use a crane or giant drone to install the ac units, skylights and vents? Stay over the "trusses" and you'll be fine. If you weigh over 3 bills find someone else to put the cover on.

But seriously, I'm on my roof a lot (even the 3 ft slideout, keeping tight to the camper) and it has never felt mushy or unsafe. I'm 170lbs.

A video of a "no walk roof"

Old 08-19-2018, 11:59 PM   #4

Florida
Same thing we were told about our Coleman. We think they are all covering there liability for roof damage. It’s easier to say -no walk roof - that way we are always wrong goin up on it.
Just my guess.
Hwanjwcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:18 AM   #5

Arizona
Thanks for posting
Yamaha YXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Bunch of crap. Did they use a crane or giant drone to install the ac units, skylights and vents? Stay over the "trusses" and you'll be fine. If you weigh over 3 bills find someone else to put the cover on.

But seriously, I'm on my roof a lot (even the 3 ft slideout, keeping tight to the camper) and it has never felt mushy or unsafe. I'm 170lbs.

I must have missed it, was there any WORKMANSHIP in that video? it looked like they needed to get it done as fast as possible and get on to the next one. I guess you could use the term EFFICIENT but probably not. Can't be any worse than a car.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I must have missed it, was there any WORKMANSHIP in that video? it looked like they needed to get it done as fast as possible and get on to the next one. I guess you could use the term EFFICIENT but probably not. Can't be any worse than a car.
Not to mention multiple OSHA violations...

That also appears to be a low VOC water based adhesive... with pretty minimal coverage at the edges.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Not to mention multiple OSHA violations...

That also appears to be a low VOC water based adhesive... with pretty minimal coverage at the edges.

Aaron
They put the gutters over the roof membrane but did NOT put any sealer between the gutters and the screws and kinda put sealer over the screws but not as much as I would have put. I would have put sealer between the gutters and the membrane but that's just me.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #9

South Carolina
A reply from Dutchman on roof walking.

Here is what I received via email in response to my email query.

"Certain units are built with 3/8” decking that does allow for walking on the roof for maintenance, cleaning, etc…They are not designed to have a roof party but they can support a person for the aforementioned reasons.
Your unit has a laminated roof, and is not designed for walking."

FYI we have a 2018 Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-light. 243BHSL

I am going to write back and ask how I am supposed to fulfill my requirement as part of the warranty. If I can not walk on roof??

"It is the responsibility of the owner to maintain the recreation vehicle as described in the Owner's Manual including taking whatever preventative measures necessary to maintain the exterior sealants of the unit and to prevent foreseeable secondary moisture or water intrusion damage to the unit from rain, plumbing leaks, condensation and other natural accumulation of water in the unit."

Fun, fun.

Technically, I can spread my butt load across the trusses and do what I need.

Now it is just and exercise in semantics and reality with Dutchman. I do appreciate them answering my email. We shall see.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #10

Florida
That must be one large butt to spread that far because I am sure the Trusses are few and FAR between....
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
That must be one large butt to spread that far because I am sure the Trusses are few and FAR between....

It is just large enough to match my 6'3 230. No bigger no smaller.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:54 AM   #12

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Wow...I agree. First thing I thought about was the quality of the workmanship. Sure, they know their craft, but come on.
51phiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #13

South Carolina
Update from Dutchman via email.

I asked how was I supposed to check roof integrity. seals and such, if I cant walk on roof?

The reply:

"Most care and maintenance of the roof can be done by using a ladder along side of unit to check seals, clean membrane, etc… Many folks take their units in a couple times a year to have their dealerships check for the seals around the roof vents, AC’s, etc..
I have talked with folks that do this themselves. Most will be sure they either walk gingerly on the roof truss and some will use a plywood half-sheet as additional support."

Old 08-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:

According to the email I got from Dutchman. That may be a WALK On ROOF. Looked like at least 3/8 inch material to me.

"Certain units are built with 3/8” decking that does allow for walking on the roof for maintenance, cleaning, etc…They are not designed to have a roof party but they can support a person for the afore mentioned reasons.
Your unit has a laminated roof, and is not designed for walking."
Old 08-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #15

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Update from Dutchman via email.

I asked how was I supposed to check roof integrity. seals and such, if I cant walk on roof?

The reply:

"Most care and maintenance of the roof can be done by using a ladder along side of unit to check seals, clean membrane, etc… Many folks take their units in a couple times a year to have their dealerships check for the seals around the roof vents, AC’s, etc..
I have talked with folks that do this themselves. Most will be sure they either walk gingerly on the roof truss and some will use a plywood half-sheet as additional support."

Yup, take it to a dealer so one of the fat lazy techs can walk on the roof, and charge you $100 for 3 inches of sealant.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #16

South Carolina
Quote:
Yup, take it to a dealer so one of the fat lazy techs can walk on the roof, and charge you $100 for 3 inches of sealant.

Yeah, well I will never take it to a dealer. Unless, it is last resort!

We do have a repair and renovate shop about 30 miles away. They are pretty well rated. They don't sell RV's. Except for some used units.

Hoping they work out if needed.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #17

What about a small sheet of plywood to spread the weight? I used a ladder and spread it out that way. Hope you are using a cover inside as the Addco will not stay in one piece outside.

winglessprint is offline   Reply With Quote