Light LX package specs not met? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #1

Ontario
Light LX package specs not met?

Just wondering, we bought the 2018 Coleman 1925BH Light LX camper this fall, in the specs and brochures and any other sale paraphernalia, it says that the Light LX package includes a 6 gal gas/electric water heater, ours is only gas. I forgot to ask Dutchmen when I called regarding warranty on my water heater control board, if this was right or if they put the wrong water heater in my unit. When I spoke with the warranty service provider about my control board, I asked them about the water heater specs, and he said that sometimes these companies mid run switch items etc, and has even seen them switch the interior materials making it hard for them to repair warranty work on textiles.
I will have to call Dutchmen again to see if there is an oversight, etc and to see what can be done, just wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue?

jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

Illinois
That's a bummer. I hope you get some satisfaction, however most brochures have fine print on the bottom of the last page reflecting that they may make changes in the "representations" in the brochure. They often change colors, cabinets, flooring and the like, depending on availability and price.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #3

Ontario
Completely understand changing colours and materials, etc... but something like a feature in a water heater, I am not sure, especially since the unit would have been built during the time that their sales materials were printed. Will call and see, not a deal breaker, obviously, since we already bought the trailer, but I may try to hold them to it, especially if my authorized warranty service shop can help convince them to replace it.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #4

Illinois
Nothing to lose. Maybe they'll adjust or do a good will swap out. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:15 AM   #5

Missouri
I don’t think you are missing anything not having the electric. It’s much slower than the gas for getting it hot. We used to use the propane to get the water hot and then turn on electric to keep it hot and turn off the propane for fear of running out of propane, but have learned that one tank last us all year and we don’t need rove conservative.
woody2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #6

Ontario
Yeah, I have heard it was slower, wasn't sure if there was any benefit to having it, but I thought I read in some forum that they found they had hot water for longer by utilizing both... Is it like the fridge where it's either electric or gas, not both running at the same time?
Old 11-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #7

Florida
I keep the electric going when I'm camping since that means I will have hot water always. I turn the propane on when taking showers-this conserves propane like crazy. When I made the mistake of having the propane on all the time, I ran out of propane quickly when camping in cold climates and plus I didn't have to pay for electricity when keeping the tank hot. I would like to have propane AND electric.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #8

Ontario
That is my thought at least that I would have at least an option. If they don't honour it, not a big deal, but can't hurt to ask.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #9

Indiana
You should be able to run electric and gas at the same time. I always do. My TH was set up from the factory with a
separate 75 watt 12v to A/C power inverter for the hot water tank as well so I could run both when boondocking. If I'm hooked to shore power or running the generator, the inverter automatically switches along with the coach to pull power from the A/C source side of the main coach inverter.
If the dealer stated it had both scenarios for the hot water heating then they should work with Dutchmen and make it right. Stand your ground, demand to speak to someone higher if they tell you no.
Viper67z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #10

California
One other advantage of the electric water heater is if you are paying for hookups at a campground you can leave the hot water heater on all the time and not worry about running out of propane. You pay enough for the electric at a campground so you might as well use it!