Let's talk about security cameras / systems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2016, 01:07 AM   #1

Ohio
Let's talk about security cameras / systems

I have always been very security minded (not paranoid really...) and this extends to my new travel trailer. I would love to have cameras in the front, back, and sides. Going wireless, I could use the front as a hitch camera, and the rear as a back up camera.

The problem is that even with wireless you still need to power the cameras, which means running wiring. Now possibly, I could actually have them in the side and back windows, but this would not cover the front (arguably the most important as this is where somebody could take the trailer from.)

Having cloud storage would keep the data safe. What is anybody using?

Mike

MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:45 AM   #2

British Columbia
Mike,

I don't have security cameras, but I am in the process of installing a wireless back-up camera on my trailer.

It's a bugger running wire in these things. The only way I have found to get constant power to the camera without major surgery is to do something I hate to do, go straight through the wall and tap into the reading light.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #3

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Mike,

I don't have security cameras, but I am in the process of installing a wireless back-up camera on my trailer.

It's a bugger running wire in these things. The only way I have found to get constant power to the camera without major surgery is to do something I hate to do, go straight through the wall and tap into the reading light.
Yea, I'm nervous about drilling in as well. Seems like it would be the clean way to do it.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:23 AM   #4

North Carolina
don't know of a 12v DVR. one may be available , but you need to decide if you are more concerned with recording and storing that info. or something you could use inside your tow rig as a back up monitor.
if the first scenario is the goal, i would think you'd be best to use a 110volt system. the trouble with that is , your camper has power interrupted, a lot...
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:15 AM   #5

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins44 View Post
don't know of a 12v DVR. one may be available , but you need to decide if you are more concerned with recording and storing that info. or something you could use inside your tow rig as a back up monitor.
if the first scenario is the goal, i would think you'd be best to use a 110volt system. the trouble with that is , your camper has power interrupted, a lot...

Well I want it to be available while I am in it. However I also like to know what is going on while I am gone. I will probably be plugged in most of the time (which is a weakness) but the batter backup is ok. The bad thing about a DVR is that if somebody takes it they get the dvr as well. Cloud storage means you get the video no matter what.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:04 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins44 View Post
One would be surprised how many small consumer electronics are converted to low voltage DC inside the unit.
When I lived off the grid I bypassed wall warts and went straight to 12 volts DC. I bypassed voltage regulators and rectifiers and powered what I could from the battery bank.
A residential FM receiver is nothing more than a large 12 volt car radio, tape players and recorders use 12 and sometimes 9 volt motors for operation. There may be some 5 volt stuff in there too. The LED indicators are low voltage even though an LED will work just fine on 110 volts AC, just takes more components to do so.
It would be worth a shot to have a good tech take a look and see if the 110 volt AC could be bypassed.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:20 AM   #7

Florida
I just bought one from Tadi Bros yesterday and I was also wondering if you could install solar power rather than run the tiny camera from inside wiring. I have decided I'd also like side cameras because the new trailer is longer than our other one. That may be more challenging.
Denaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:16 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaligirl View Post
I just bought one from Tadi Bros yesterday and I was also wondering if you could install solar power rather than run the tiny camera from inside wiring. I have decided I'd also like side cameras because the new trailer is longer than our other one. That may be more challenging.
You could power the camera and monitor with solar power. You'd need to size the system for a determined period of time according to the power requirements of the camera.

The size of the panel and the capacity of the battery bank will need to be sufficient to power the camera during times without solar gain.

It all sounds very technical but is kind of basic to do.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaligirl View Post
If your dealing with a wireless backup camera, you have the transmitter in the equation.

Take a look at the clearance lights, you may be able to find a way to tap in to them. then you turn on you lights to power the camera.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:24 AM   #10

Ohio
So how "bad" is it drilling through a side for cables and keeping it watertight? Any advice?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #11

Florida
I think I too will have to drill even if I get the solar panel solution. I have a friend that is coming to help me and I will find out more.

I have been looking on the web and notice that when you drill there is a gromet ro run the wires theough and then the caulk to make it water tight.
Denaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
So how "bad" is it drilling through a side for cables and keeping it watertight? Any advice?
It's probably not any worst than the holes they put in the skin in the factory. I just have an aversion to putting more holes in the exterior. All my interior stuff gets mounted with 3M tape, stick on hooks and sticky velcro.

Keep the hole just big enough to run your wires, fill the hole with no-sag seam sealant and if the camera is a flush mount run a line of sealant around the camera or the mounting braket if it uses one.

You should be checking the sealant on everything that penetrates the skin on a regular basis anyway, so adding a couple more to check won't hurt.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:21 AM   #13

Nevada
I would check into the cameras used on the large bus type rvs, I have seen them with side, front and rear cameras
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #14

Colorado
Has anyone figured out how to connect a camera from the rear of the trailer to the factory backup camera screen in a Ford F350/
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #15

Illinois
Boy, that would be sweet. Hate using the Boyo camera and 5" screen that came with the RV.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Has anyone figured out how to connect a camera from the rear of the trailer to the factory backup camera screen in a Ford F350/
Tom,
Actually I have done it on my last two 5'ers including my old voltage 3950. There are two ways to make it happen but both of them require a "wired" (non-wifi) camera. You then have to run wires from the back of your RV up to your hitch point for connection in to your truck. The two different ways involve how you choose to hook it into your truck.
1. You can buy the wire harness for inside of your tail gate (I think Ford P/N is 14A411A ) and splice the wires from the RV camera into the harness then when you want to use the RV camera instead of the tail gate camera, you have to crawl under your truck and swap the tail gate connector (located on the passenger side of the spare tire) out for the RV connector and you are now showing the video from rear of RV.
2. The second way (the way I choose) is to purchase a device called lock pick. This device installs behind your trucks video screen and works with multiple cameras (and other features too). You still have to run wires from back of RV to your hitch point but you can mount your disconnect any where you want so you don't have to crawl under truck to change camera connectors. took me less than an hour to have this system up and running the first time I installed it.
If you choose the lock pick method, make sure you choose the one that is correct for your display. they make them for trucks that use Sync and Ford My Touch systems. I just looked at the lock pick website and see that they now make one called lock pick air, which is suppose to be wifi, don't know if it would work with the cheap wifi cameras or not.

Here is the pin out for the tail gate harness if you need it:

For connector C497 female end:
Pin 1 + Power (backup lights) Violet/gray
2 Video + white/green
3 Video - brown/violet
4 Shield black
5 GND black
6 No connection

For some reason, my link for the lock pick web site didn't insert correctly so here it is https://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #17

Texas
This forum deserves all the praise it gets. It's simply the best at what it is the best at.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #18

Illinois
Thanks Thom. Not a "wiring/electrical guy, but will have my buddy read your post and check it out.
Rusty
Old 11-09-2016, 01:03 AM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Thanks Thom. Not a "wiring/electrical guy, but will have my buddy read your post and check it out.
Rusty
Rusty, Since your nut a wiring kind of guy, you can always order a new '17 Ford, they have 7 or 10 cameras (I forget which) including one you can mount on the rear of trailers, all intergrated into the screen.

Another feature of the lock pick I forgot to mention was you can leave the rear camera on all the time for a rear view while on the road. I also mounted another camera on my front license tag because my wife has a hard time pulling into tight spots. The front camera will automaticlly turn on when you get under 4 MPH and go back off when you go above 4. You can also add turn signal mounted cameras for blind spots when you turn on turn signals. I think the lock pick will do 5 ccameras but refer to thier website to be sure.

Buy a new truck or learn some very easy wiring . Choice is yours if you want a camera on back of camper. .
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #20

Illinois
Ha. If I asked for a new truck just after I bought a new boat last month, I wouldn't be able to drive, as my wife would break my arms. Thanks again for the input though. A lot more informed. Camera up front was also a kean idea.
Rusty