Lemon Law - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #1

Texas
Angry Lemon Law

Has anyone ever used the lemon law? We purchased our 2014 3990 in Dec. since then we have only been able to use it twice. Once in March for 12 days. Then it went back to the dealer for over 40 issues. Finally got it back just in time to use it in August. After using it for another 12 days, we brought it back to the dealer for another 52 issues. We have had it with Dutchmen! We paid $100,000 for this toy hauler and we expect a $100,000 trailer! Not something that every time you take it out it has to come back to be fixed! Not to mention all these issues take the fun out of camping! Can't even use it on our way to our camping destination for fear that something will happen with it and we will be stuck where we sit! It's sad when a company will not stand behind its product!

sweet overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Most lemon laws don't pertain to RVs unless they are motorized. Check with your state laws and see.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

Texas
Our state does have the lemon law & our toy hauler is covered under it. Was just wondering if anyone ever used it and what was the outcome
sweet overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #4

Tennessee
Wow 52 issues! Can you name at least 5 for us?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #5

Arizona
If i am reading this correctly there have been 2 visits one with 40 seperate warranty issues and another with 52 seperate warranty issues? Intereresting we have had our hauler out a few times now since we have owned it,we have a small list of things that need to be addressed but maybe i am over looking 80 or 90 items i need to address and don't even know about.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:04 AM   #6

Arizona
Sounds like they stuck you with a lemon and made you pay full price.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #7

Texas
Some of our issues are. Main AC doesn't cool, Generator won't stay running, leveling system keeps setting toy hauler on nose, slides ( which seems to be everyones, we made it 50 miles from the dealer when we just bought ours and main slide got stuck out, had to leave it in a parking lot overnight cause no one would come & fix it. Whole other story.) 3 seasons door doesn't latch, water leak somewhere cause water drips on leather recliners now recliners are marked up, trim busted on all slides, rear AC keeps tripping breaker, baggage doors leak, LED lights on nose are out, garage cabinet cracked & broke, poor water pressure, garage AC cover bent, main awning goes in & out crooked, patio deck rails bent, fuel tanks leak, D rings bent in garage, bathroom floor soft, roof vent in kitchen doesn't seal. I could go on. First time we used the RV dump the kitchen flooded. Like I said we paid a lot of money for this toy hauler, I could see if it was a used coach having some issues, but not a brand new one.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet overkill View Post
Some of our issues are. Main AC doesn't cool, Generator won't stay running, leveling system keeps setting toy hauler on nose, slides ( which seems to be everyones, we made it 50 miles from the dealer when we just bought ours and main slide got stuck out, had to leave it in a parking lot overnight cause no one would come & fix it. Whole other story.) 3 seasons door doesn't latch, water leak somewhere cause water drips on leather recliners now recliners are marked up, trim busted on all slides, rear AC keeps tripping breaker, baggage doors leak, LED lights on nose are out, garage cabinet cracked & broke, poor water pressure, garage AC cover bent, main awning goes in & out crooked, patio deck rails bent, fuel tanks leak, D rings bent in garage, bathroom floor soft, roof vent in kitchen doesn't seal. I could go on. First time we used the RV dump the kitchen flooded. Like I said we paid a lot of money for this toy hauler, I could see if it was a used coach having some issues, but not a brand new one.
Were you able to do a PDI on this unit before leaving the dealer? I would think most of this stuff would have been discovered! Thats a lot of stuff to go wrong for sure...
Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 AM   #9

Arizona
How does a garage D ring get bent? All of them? Patio deck rails bent? Kitchen flooded by the dumping? Huh? You list some pretty strange issues, which I'm not buying. Most of us here have had our share of issues with our Voltages but your's seems to have issues that seem way out of the ordinary. We've had people come on here to slam the Voltage before and I get real suspicious. Sorry but that's the cop in me.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
I believe you. You have no reason to make this up. I bought used and was prepared to pay to get my unit up to snuff. I have had two vehicles and a boat lemon lawed in Texas. There are two approaches but both are predicated on you knowing the law specifically and conclusively as it pertains to RV's and travel trailers (I do not know) (1) have a discussion with your dealer state your case and present your facts. If you are not successful in that conversation get a lawyer and let the lawyer communicate for you. (2) Work with your dealer and plead your case and hope that it migrates towards a lemon law. My sense is that RV dealers are scummy-ier than car dealers because of the wide range of markups and lower volume. I worked with my dealers on my lemon laws, was educated, polite but continued to make my case. I paid for something that was not delivered or delivered properly and if I do not get satisfactory resolution I will get a lawyer and I will make your life very difficult. The legal hassle usually outweighs the cost of the dealer doing a buyback.

You paid good money for your unit - get what you want out of it. Ignore the naysayers here that criticize your motivation or whatever. You deserve to get what you pay for. The RV industry, especially travel trailers, is definitely murkier than automobiles. Treat it as such which means you may need to get mean and nasty as well to make sure you get what you paid for.

Listen, I work hard and long for my money. I bought a boat in 2009 during the financial crisis and the manufacturer had clearly skimped in areas. But it was a $120k boat. I worked with the dealer and finally after the 5th trip back during the first summer where the boat needed to be sent all the way back to the manufacturer, I simply said I want a new boat. Dealer looked and me and said "done". I got a new boat. I have since bought an additional boat from the same dealer and use them for all service and upgrades. I consider them friends at this point and my two service advisors get a bottle of bourbon every holiday season.
MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
How does a garage D ring get bent? All of them? Patio deck rails bent? Kitchen flooded by the dumping? Huh? You list some pretty strange issues, which I'm not buying. Most of us here have had our share of issues with our Voltages but your's seems to have issues that seem way out of the ordinary. We've had people come on here to slam the Voltage before and I get real suspicious. Sorry but that's the cop in me.
I have never understood the logic of coming onto a discussion forum and slamming a product of which 99% of the people on the forum have already purchased. Someone needs to explain that to me.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #12

Texas
We bought this toy hauler at the end of Dec. Did a PDI. Had issues, it wasn't ready until the end of Feb. Ended up going to another dealer closer to our home. For the person that thinks we are making this up! All of these issues have been documented by the dealer. The dealer has been working with us, it's Dutchmen who could care less. The Dee rings bent when we had our trike tied down. We were household movers so we make look over things closer and notice more then others, but as I said we want what we paid for! If you bought a brand new towing vehicle and it had scratches on it, things were loose on it, would you just say "oh that's OK, I don't expect perfection from Ford or Dodge or whatever manufacturer"
Old 09-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Just curious if this was all in this condition when you did a PDI obviously some of these item you may not have seen but come on D-rings bent,patio deck rails bent,garage cabinet cracked,trim busted,awning going in & out crooked,bathroom floor soft,A/C cover bent and LED lights not working?Other than the things that could happen that you may not have seen i don't see all of this happening out of the thin air and you not noticing at time of delivery.If so WHY would you accept it like this?Even if it was bought sight unseen and delivered to you.Why wouldn't refuse to accept it in this condition?why would you have signed on the dotted line and or written a check. almost 100 warranty items of this magnitude? [moderator edit]
Old 09-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #14

Texas
Some of the things we didn't notice at first, other things happened after the first use and the second use. Obliviously didn't use the AC in Dec! Don't care who believes us on here, it's the dealer that counts and they have everything documented, the regional manager even came out to our home to see these issues.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #15

Arizona
Good luck to you and if you have over 90 warranty issues and it's all documented with the dealer i would get an attorney and get out from this deal asap.If all these things happened in a matter of 2 trips just imagine all the things that will fail and break after 2 more times out.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #16

Arizona
Sounds like the entire manufacturing line decided to build one exceptionally poorly built Voltage with as many defects as possible and that's the one you bought. Sorry you're having so many difficulties and hope you get things worked out.

BTW, we looked at dozens and dozens of Voltages, Raptors, Cyclones, Fusions and Seismics and the build quality of the Voltage was far superior to any other toy haulers we looked at.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #17

Colorado
One thing that people ought to remember that an item may be a problem for one person may not be an issue for another person. I personally could find it very easy to identify a ton of issues with my trailer. Nicks in wood. Marks on the outside. Could be anything. Some people care about items like this, other do not. If I was buying a new coach I would want that coach fully functional and perfect for at least 1 day - the delivery day. After that wear and tear - the warranty and then out of pocket.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #18

Delaware
Folks, let's discuss the topic, not each other.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #19

Mississippi
It Could Happen!

Quote:
Some of the things we didn't notice at first, other things happened after the first use and the second use. Obliviously didn't use the AC in Dec! Don't care who believes us on here, it's the dealer that counts and they have everything documented, the regional manager even came out to our home to see these issues.
Purchased a 2013 Ford F-350 DRW to pull our 3950 and nobody on any forum for powerstrokes has had just one injector at a time go bad, but I have. At first dealer said it was bad fuel but analysis came back good and service mgr. said he had never seen anything like this. Truck is fixed now. Strange things do happen to some of our vehicles while others never have this problem.
Just my 2 cents!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Cops and firemen, they usually say what others wish they could say.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote