Kodiak / Dutchmen Quality Control - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Kodiak / Dutchmen Quality Control

We got our new RV last month. After the dealer reviewed all the functions / features with us it was delivered to our home. It was my intent to use it in the driveway over the weekend w/ the kids to check out everything and to verify it before I moved the RV to our lot up north. Upon the weekend use I found more and more issues.
Slide seal messed up by what appears to be roof glue?
Gouge in slide bottom from a screw head on slide ramp...saw dust all over from grinding...
Staples all over that are not seated fully or sharp points exposed
Paneling has woodgrain pattern chipped off on edges and trim
Trim too short by up to 1"!!! on Cabinets
Window Glue (black) on interior paneling
Leaking Water Heater valve (good thing I opened access door)
The supposed to be upgraded night shades have anchors at wrong locations so you can close shades down fully over windows... also some shades close crooked. So how do they get placed correctly and not leave holes in wall???
Missing antenna on radio
Caulking arround exterior lights missing and barely applied in most places...
Roof not caulked in one spot. Water can get behind fiberglass it appears....
Solid surface countertop and sink not sealed to eachother
LED on power input connection on side of RV is out

So here I am with the RV at the dealer for over 2 weeks and nothing yet. Not sure how this would get passed any quality control check and then a check by dealer yet also...

vwgtiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:50 AM   #2

Saskatchewan
Wow, that's quite the list! Good thing you noticed all of it while it was in the driveway...

I can chime in on the radio antenna. All we had was a wire tucked in behind the radio. I had the dealer mount a roof antenna and the reception was greatly improved!

Dave.

2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:12 AM   #3

Massachusetts
Our 2007 Freedom Spirit (built by Dutchmen) was actually good though we did find lots of sawdust from cutouts. Now 7 years later, we recently bought a 2014 Dutchmen 190QB and I found numerous screws/staples poking through drawers, the stovetop had a burner tube that wasn't even close to being connected, a broken propane pigtail and drawers that are hard to shut. Evidently cleaning up their mess is nonexistent as sawdust is again at all the cutouts. All these are correctable but I just don't understand why one doesn't take pride in their work. Hopefully our list doesn't grow any longer.
P3 brake controller, Tow-N-See mirrors, TM-508 TPMS
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Update... There is no update.

Still at dealer... still not going anywhere. I could have had an engine diagnosed and rebuilt by now if my car was at the dealer... what is so difficult. Dealer blames manufacturer... they don't approve repairs fast enough or ship fast enough... Manufacturer blames dealer... they don't submit orders in timely manner. I sit in the middle. Now they did get my down payment and the bank also just got the first payment.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #5

Washington
Sorry to hear that. You're experiencing what many of us have discovered. The Dutchmen build quality is terrible and once they have your money you are the least important issue of the day. Hang in there.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
It's coming home....

Dealer called. Slide bottom won't be shipped for 2 months due to backlog at factory. Really? How is this a 2 month part? So they can build new ones but can't replace mine? Priorities. I will deal with it end of season. My kids want to camp!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #7

Colorado
Glad to hear you're getting some movement. That's the very reason I only make my coach purchases in the late fall, I can get in a few checkout runs in the off season and have all winter to pester the dealer to get parts in if needed, and to replace them. My coaches will never sit for weeks on end at a dealer, I get confirmation of parts are on-site (All parts) and then they have a day to fix it when I bring it to them.

These things cost too much money to just sit on a dealer lot post-purchase IMO.
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #8

Arizona
It is a sad statement but after a similar experience with a Fleetwood travel trailer, I decided just to do the work myself on my 2013 RK246. Yep, its probably cost me $200 for parts and equal number of hours, but I don't have to deal with the dealer BS. AND... just wait the dealer techs are not that bright so when you do finally get it back don't be surprised to see more things wrong after you get it back. I wish I started a list of all the things I have done but then I would feel worse... A plus for me: now I know my unit better than any one... Like I say sad state of affairs.

pbergmann is offline   Reply With Quote