If you don't think you can walk on your roof... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #1

Tennessee
If you don't think you can walk on your roof...

You're probably wrong. Especially with the "newer" curved roofs. These little trusses are built better than I thought they would be. Little to zero danger of damaging your roof by walking on it, especially if you stay close to the trusses.

Bunch of fear mongering dealers just want you to spend big money for roof maintenance.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #2

Wisconsin
I heard a Dutchman rep once say, Dutchman "Lite" trailer do not have a walk on roof. Heavier built trailers do. So no eclipse watching parties on the roof.
My Kodiak Cub is technically not a Lite, but came with the same manual. The manual says, don't walk on the roof. It also says one person can carefully walk on the roof to do required maintenance.
Weather you do or don't walk on the roof, roof warranty will be denied. Everything is your fault and so denied.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I heard a Dutchman rep once say, Dutchman "Lite" trailer do not have a walk on roof. Heavier built trailers do. So no eclipse watching parties on the roof.
My Kodiak Cub is technically not a Lite, but came with the same manual. The manual says, don't walk on the roof. It also says one person can carefully walk on the roof to do required maintenance.
Weather you do or don't walk on the roof, roof warranty will be denied. Everything is your fault and so denied.
You can either drink the cool aid, or get on your roof and maintain it yourself. I have zero sympathy for anyone who complains about roof leaks.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #4

Wisconsin
I did walk on my roof to perform the required maintenance to clean and inspect. I found the spaces between the trusses soft and so was careful where I stepped. I found one suspicious corner. Now I have to figure out what sealant is permitted. The manual helpfully tells me it is one of two kinds and not to use silicon caulks.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I did walk on my roof to perform the required maintenance to clean and inspect. I found the spaces between the trusses soft and so was careful where I stepped. I found one suspicious corner. Now I have to figure out what sealant is permitted. The manual helpfully tells me it is one of two kinds and not to use silicon caulks.
Dicor self leveling sealant, 501 or 502 is what you want.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #6

Texas
I can easily deflect the thin sheathing with my hand by pressing down between the trusses. So I just do all of my maintenance from a ladder or lay down another piece of plywood on top to spread the load more.
TT Coleman 2515RL
TejasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:56 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasBob View Post
I can easily deflect the thin sheathing with my hand by pressing down between the trusses. So I just do all of my maintenance from a ladder or lay down another piece of plywood on top to spread the load more.
Either you have a leak or some other problem. I can stand between the trusses with little to no deflection.

Here's a jayco video bragging on how much their roofs can hold, our trusses are very similar. Starts at 2:55

Old 10-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #8

Wisconsin
TT roofs are all different. The picture and video show sturdy roof trusses with thick looking ply or chip core. Not all roofs are the same. My Kodiak Cub has welded aluminum on 6 sides, but still has a soft to step on space between the trusses. The video says the plywood sheet is 3/8". Even installed on a curved truss, that is marginal for foot pressure. Chip core is even worse for foot pressure. Sorry, cement blocks do not simulate foot pressure. Foot pressure exceeds 200 pounds on about 1/3 square foot. Cement blocks weigh about 30 pounds and cover about 1 square foot.
Be careful where you step. Use a portable 1/2" sheet of PLYWOOD that spans more than one truss spacing if necessary. Round the corners and edges for added protection of the rubber roof.
Flexing the sheathing and plastic or rubber roof frequently with your feet will shorten its life. That being said, you must maintain the seal of the roof. Leaks, of course, will cause major damage.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #9

South Carolina
I posted this before. I received this email from Keystone/Dutchman Customer Service. This came from a supervisor.

This was in regards to our 2018 Dutchman Kodiak UltraLite 243 BHSL

"Certain units are built with 3/8” decking that does allow for walking on the roof for maintenance, cleaning, etc…They are not designed to have a roof party but they can support a person for the afore mentioned reasons.

Your unit has a laminated roof, and is not designed for walking.

Most care and maintenance of the roof can be done by using a ladder along side of unit to check seals, clean membrane, etc…

Many folks take their units in a couple times a year to have their dealerships check for the seals around the roof vents, AC’s, etc..

I have talked with folks that do this themselves. Most will be sure they either walk gingerly on the roof truss and some will use a plywood half-sheet as additional support."

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #10

South Carolina
Sorry for the big type. My nimble fingers ughhh
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Sorry for the big type. My nimble fingers ughhh
HAHA, stop yelling at us.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #12