How not to winterize your RV! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

Michigan
How not to winterize your RV!

Just got home from Florida last night. I was tired from a long day of driving and from unloading stuff from the RV we needed over night. As it was suppose to freeze over night I decided I should winterize the water system. I checked the shop and didn’t have any RV antifreeze in storage there to use with the winterization port so think’en to myself, ---- self, I use to just use compressed air to blow out the lines on the old RV, so why not this one.
Looked in the tool box and found the adapter that I used on the old RV and enough hose to reach from the shop “pressor” to the RV water inlet port. Even found the regulator preset to 35 psi. Hooked up the line and started the various water draw points running, shower, bathroom vanity, kitchen sink, stool, ect. Then tired self said to self, --- self, you forgot to bypass the water heater, so no problem I’ll just unhook the air and pull the drain plug. I dis-connected the air hose and listened to the whoosh of air as it drained off.
Now I should tell you that I had one chance to save myself, I thought about opening the pressure relief on top of the tank but I was tired and in a hurry. I should also tell all the newbie’s that Dutchmen installs a check valve in the city water inlet line.
Ok, on to the rest of the story, I unscrewed the drain plug and it popped the last thread and blew out of the water heater. 12 gal of water under 35 psi thru a 1 inch hole hit me square on in the crotch area emptying said water heater contents in about 3 seconds. I stood there in 30 degree air soaked from the waist down, jacket, shirt, jeans, undershorts, socks, and shoes.
As I sloshed into the kitchen mumbling to myself “Stupid *&^^%$@”, the little woman says, “couldn’t you wait?”

Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

British Columbia
Ya a " Cold Shower" will do it ever it time...
Welcome back

Coops

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #3

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronious View Post
Just got home from Florida last night. I was tired from a long day of driving and from unloading stuff from the RV we needed over night. As it was suppose to freeze over night I decided I should winterize the water system. I checked the shop and didn’t have any RV antifreeze in storage there to use with the winterization port so think’en to myself, ---- self, I use to just use compressed air to blow out the lines on the old RV, so why not this one.
Looked in the tool box and found the adapter that I used on the old RV and enough hose to reach from the shop “pressor” to the RV water inlet port. Even found the regulator preset to 35 psi. Hooked up the line and started the various water draw points running, shower, bathroom vanity, kitchen sink, stool, ect. Then tired self said to self, --- self, you forgot to bypass the water heater, so no problem I’ll just unhook the air and pull the drain plug. I dis-connected the air hose and listened to the whoosh of air as it drained off.
Now I should tell you that I had one chance to save myself, I thought about opening the pressure relief on top of the tank but I was tired and in a hurry. I should also tell all the newbie’s that Dutchmen installs a check valve in the city water inlet line.
Ok, on to the rest of the story, I unscrewed the drain plug and it popped the last thread and blew out of the water heater. 12 gal of water under 35 psi thru a 1 inch hole hit me square on in the crotch area emptying said water heater contents in about 3 seconds. I stood there in 30 degree air soaked from the waist down, jacket, shirt, jeans, undershorts, socks, and shoes.
As I sloshed into the kitchen mumbling to myself “Stupid *&^^%$@”, the little woman says, “couldn’t you wait?”
Aaron,

Good story. Glad to see you made it home. Obviously, you have a sense of humor and you can laugh at yourself.

How was your trip? Did you run into any foul weather on your way back from Florida?

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

Michigan
Dave & Patty,
Good Trip! Roughly 1,200 miles with no surprises other than heavy traffic most of the way. Timed it wrong getting thru Atlanta which added almost two hours to the trip. One stop for fuel, should have put a 100 gal instead of the 80 gal tank in the bed. Then we could have made it home without stopping for fuel. Still was a lot better than stopping every couple of hundred miles. When I was younger an full of vinegar I use to pull it straight through, now we stop for a few hours in a rest area so now it's the better part of two days home.

I might as well laugh at myself cause the little lady sure was right after her comment! I wasn't giggl'en during the moment of impact tho, too busy suck'en in air!
Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #5

Wyoming
There's always one thing that gets forgotten. Why is it always something like this though?
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I must say you have made my night. I know it wasn't funny at the time, but when you look back I'm sure you will get a laugh. Sorry for your shower.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronious View Post
Dang, I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago in Indiana. The only difference, they had a warm spell and it was about 75 outside. Had I waited until the next day it would have been about 30. I guess timing is everything.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #8

Illinois
first year with tt going to attempt to dewinterize never did that before any tips
flyingdutchmen0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchmen0625 View Post
first year with tt going to attempt to dewinterize never did that before any tips
Yes. Don't forget to fill hot water heater before using it.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #10

Illinois
need step by step process
flyingdutchmen0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #11

Quebec
De-winterizing is actually pretty easy. Here's how I do it:
1) Close low-point drains under the trailer
2) Close all faucets in the trailer
3) Take water heater out of 'By-pass' mode
4) As stated above, make sure the hot water heater is 'Off'
5) Connect water supply and ensure controls are set correctly for city water supply ... ie. not in 'winterize' mode
6) Turn on water supply and then open each faucet until the winterizing fluid is expelled and no more air in lines. Note that the hot water faucets will not produce clear water until the hot water tank is filled.
7) Once all faucets have been bled, turn on the hot water tank if desired.

Good luck.
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #12

British Columbia
Coops here ....this is a great list...in addition I fill my water tank and run my a water pump to flush the water tank.. Not sure you need to flush the water tank but I do....maybe it is just me doing more.
Canada
Old 06-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Coops here ....this is a great list...in addition I fill my water tank and run my a water pump to flush the water tank.. Not sure you need to flush the water tank but I do....maybe it is just me doing more.
Coop,
Are you concerned about the water tank freezing? Do you put anti-freeze in the tank? It makes me appreciate my Cali weather again, I have yet to see the need to winterize, but I should probably practice, every once in a blue moon it gets cold.
Jlew127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #14

British Columbia
Yes... I am a wee bit worried having water in the tank as it would freeze..and no I don't put antifreeze in the water tank....black fans grey yes..as the antifreeze has no where to go.

Coops
Canada
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlew127 View Post
Coop,
Are you concerned about the water tank freezing? Do you put anti-freeze in the tank? It makes me appreciate my Cali weather again, I have yet to see the need to winterize, but I should probably practice, every once in a blue moon it gets cold.
I am thinking the pink stuff is supposed to be non toxic and safe to use in potable water tanks. It just tastes like crap is all, until it is all purged out in the spring time.

Now when I was sailing there was this guy that would get a few gallons of cheap vodka and put in the fresh water tanks to keep them from freezing in the winter. The vodka would mix with the water and lower the freeze point a tad. In the spring time when he decommissioned the boat his boat (he would have his guys come out for a wax party) he would have several gallons of orange juice and bloody mary mix. And fun was had by all.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #16

British Columbia
Now that is environmentally friendly..and meets the 3 Rs...reduce,reuse and recycle...he was ahead off time.

Coops

Canada