Getting Gas - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #1

Oregon
Getting Gas

Hi,

I'm a first time TT owner (Kodiak 300BHSL). I'm going on my first real long trip that's a 10hr drive but 3rd time total in taking it out.

I was just wondering how most of you get gas? I'm concern on manuevring into a "regular" gas station. Is it okay to stop at a truck stop...do they allow TV & TT folks to get gas there?

Thanks.

sithc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #2

Washington
As you gain experience with towing, you will quickly develop your "eye" for saying......"yeah, I can make that turn."
You do have to change your perspective for gas stations, restaurants and any other place you are going to pull in and park when you are 50 feet long!!! Planning ahead is a requirement.
Heck, the first time I pulled in to a grocery store with our first trip with a TT, I thought I had picked out a great parking spot, but did not pay attention to the trees in the median. Yup, a 16 foot scratch right down the side/top of our brand new TT....to answer your question though -- yup, truck stops are a great place to get gas and have LOTS of room.....just don't use the green hose if you are a gasser!!!!!

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #3

Oregon
Thanks Denali. I only get about 200 miles on a tank with the TT hitched up so I've mapped out most of the truck stops on my route. I gas regular gas stations will be a case by case basis, but I think most higway ones are sufficient. Its the one deeper into the cities that are difficult I assume.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #4

Washington
You're very welcome.....wow, only 200 miles between fill ups? That is one reason I like our 2012 Ford F150 with the 36 gallon tank....it does make traveling long distances less stressful.....until you see the pump go past $100 every time.....

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

British Columbia
Great advice Glen... Especially not using the green hose if your a gasser and the length of what your towing.
I look for gas stations that you turn right into; have very high clearance; lots of room to drive in to the pumps. Once the TT rear end was stuck 1/4 of the way into the street, while waiting for the next gas pump...needless to say we were real popular.
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #6

Wyoming
Like Glenn and Cheryle we have an F150 with the big tank. About $150 to fill it here in Canada but I can go 600 KM on that while towing.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
Agree with everything that was said. The highway stations are the best. Typically they have the most room, but I think you will find out you will be able to get into places you were unsure of in the future. Today's newer stations all have high enough canopys to were you will not have a problem with clearance.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Alberta
I take the outside pumps theres more room, and the walk don't hurt either after a long drive to stretch the legs
rid415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #9

Oregon
Gonervn, I am not worried about height clearance. Its the turn space for a 50 ft long rig to maneuver that concerns me. But I agree, most of the "direct off the highway" ones seems to be built with ample space.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #10

Alberta
get an Anderson WDH you can turn tighter circles better there are no swing bars to limit you
rid415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #11

Indiana
Sithc,

All comments are spot on.

In my case I have to look for the green handles. I've had a gas truck in my recent past. My wife (navigator on the road) looks for gas stations on the righthand side of the road. She looks for pumps islands that are at a diagonal if possible. If not, she would look for a large name company, such as; Raceway. They usually have alot of pumps and large area to manuever.

Try to avoid the "mom & pop" gas stations. Small mom & pop's are hard to manuever around with a trailer.

If your traveling where there are truck stops.............that's great.

Enjoy your safe travels and welcome aboard.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote