Generator stops after 2 minutes of running - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #21

Ohio
altitude adjustment

Also remember that carb has an altitude adjustment. Make sure that is set correctly.

That's altitude adjustment, not attitude adjustment. You do that with beer...

Leisure Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #22

Colorado
Good point Frank. That's the code I was getting when the fuel pump at the generator was unable to suck fuel 40 feet from the tank!

I guess I'm surprised we don't have the fuel injected Onan generators. That would eliminate the altitude issue. Not sure about the attitude issue.

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:17 AM   #23

Arizona
I finally got the chance to go thru the carb. Yes it was nasty inside the bowl. I cleaned and replaced and the unit ran for 10 minutes. It did shut down again. I pulled the carb off again. I went thru the again with carb cleaner, reinstalled and it ran again. I did not put the unit under a load due to running a little rough and bogging down. I am going to drain the tank and try to flush out the line from the tank at the back of the trailer. It might now be just bad gas that I need to get rid out of the system.
rsstangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:49 AM   #24

Wisconsin
You will probably have to clean the fuel tank as well as the lines, valves, and filters.
Don't forget to add fuel stabilizer and then run the engine for a while when you are not using it.
Gas that stands for weeks forms a sediment and has other problems. Stabilizer reduces those effects.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #25

Arizona
Hello everyone. Thanks for all the useful information and tips. I did drain the fuel tank using the electric pump at the tank. There is plenty of pressure and fuel coming thru the line. I took the carb apart again and all seemed to be clean and functioning. I believe now that the carb is bad. It runs for a couple of minutes still, but is surging while running. I am going to go with a new carb. Just have to save up for the cash to buy one. I will update again when I get the new one.
rsstangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #26

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsstangl View Post
Hello everyone. Thanks for all the useful information and tips. I did drain the fuel tank using the electric pump at the tank. There is plenty of pressure and fuel coming thru the line. I took the carb apart again and all seemed to be clean and functioning. I believe now that the carb is bad. It runs for a couple of minutes still, but is surging while running. I am going to go with a new carb. Just have to save up for the cash to buy one. I will update again when I get the new one.
I recently found out that a new carb is cheaper than the rebuild kit! Still sounds like a float issue.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote