First time winterizing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Georgia
First time winterizing

We have a 98 Dutchman travel trailer and this our first time winterizing a camper. I know about putting RV antifreeze in the lines but how? Can it be done by putting antifreeze in the clean water tank or directly thru the water pump with a hose attached? Where is the water pump in this camper? I also know to use the bypass valve on the hot water heater. Any advice or tips from seasoned campers is greatly appreciated. Thank you
PS. I'm a new member to this forum.

88OurSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Hi and welcome...

What is the specific model of your trailer?

For the part of the world we live in blowing the lines with an air compressor (25psi), dumping some RV antifreeze in the drain p-traps and making sure the water heater is empty is about all we need to do.

If you want to run anti-freeze in the lines you will need to find the pump, some of them already have an adapter with a valve that will allow you to pull anti-freeze from the jug, otherwise you have to pull the suction line off and use a short line between the pump and the jug.

Usually the pumps are pretty close to the water tank. Look in the general area where you put water into your trailer. It may be under a seat or behind a panel somewhere. On my camper it happens to be under the wardrobe on the front left side. Every one is a different.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #3

British Columbia
Say hey to Awesome Bill for me when you see him.

I'm with Aaron on the winterizing, for your part of the country. I blow out the lines and put antifreeze in the P-traps, if I am absotutley certain I won't be using the camper over the winter, I run antifreeze through the bypass.

Not to sure if bypass kits were standard in '98, but a lot of folks who had campers from that era put the kit.

To help finding where the pump is turn it on for a few seconds and trace the sound. You won't hurt the pump by running it for a few seconds if it's dry, they are dry when you first start the up and they run longer than you will need.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:19 PM   #4

Georgia
Thanks!!!

Hi guys,
Thanks for your help. I found the pump under the queen bed. It didn't have a bypass so I bought one ($15 at Camping World) and installed it with no problem. Thanks for coming to my rescue. 😎 Hope I can return the favor..
88OurSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:25 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88OurSpot View Post
😎 Hope I can return the favor..
You just did, you have picked up knowledge that you can pass on.

Enjoy your camper.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote