Extended Warranty Renewal... Options? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

Wyoming
Extended Warranty Renewal... Options?

Yeah, yeah, I know... yet another extended warranty thread. But I haven't read too many from this point of view:

May 2018 will mark 5 years since I bought this rig. As part of the purchase from Camping World (and since it was my first ever RV) I opted for the 5-year Extended Service Plan from Good Sam... which, is due to expire in May.

For the most part, it's been a good rig. A few issues, for sure, but nothing really major. That said, I have had reason to use the Plan on a few occasions, and I'm now considering options to extend the coverage another couple of years.

While I used to be pretty handy with the tools... after the spinal injury I suffered 18 months ago, I'm not nearly as able to find & repair faults as I once was because of mobility & strength issues. And as the rig ages & gets more usage, I'm sure I can expect a few more issues as I go along.

Of course, the easiest thing would be to simply go back thru Good Sam... but I have to admit I'm kinda disappointed with some of the items I've learned over the years that they don't cover. The most recent example was when the OEM front-door steps suffered a metal fatigue failure last year. Turns out they would have covered power steps in a motorhome, but not plain ole manual steps on my 5th wheel.

As such, if I'm going to shell out money for a plan again... I want one that's going to cover damn near everything on the rig: structural, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and appliances.

I've read about Xtraride and Cornerstone here on the forum... but are there others, and what (if any) are the main differences between their coverage options?

So I guess what I'm asking is... have any of you ever renewed an extended warranty on your rigs? If so, did you opt for a different company or stay with who you had?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Yeah, yeah, I know... yet another extended warranty thread. But I haven't read too many from this point of view:

May 2018 will mark 5 years since I bought this rig. As part of the purchase from Camping World (and since it was my first ever RV) I opted for the 5-year Extended Service Plan from Good Sam... which, is due to expire in May.

For the most part, it's been a good rig. A few issues, for sure, but nothing really major. That said, I have had reason to use the Plan on a few occasions, and I'm now considering options to extend the coverage another couple of years.

While I used to be pretty handy with the tools... after the spinal injury I suffered 18 months ago, I'm not nearly as able to find & repair faults as I once was because of mobility & strength issues. And as the rig ages & gets more usage, I'm sure I can expect a few more issues as I go along.

Of course, the easiest thing would be to simply go back thru Good Sam... but I have to admit I'm kinda disappointed with some of the items I've learned over the years that they don't cover. The most recent example was when the OEM front-door steps suffered a metal fatigue failure last year. Turns out they would have covered power steps in a motorhome, but not plain ole manual steps on my 5th wheel.

As such, if I'm going to shell out money for a plan again... I want one that's going to cover damn near everything on the rig: structural, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and appliances.

I've read about Xtraride and Cornerstone here on the forum... but are there others, and what (if any) are the main differences between their coverage options?

So I guess what I'm asking is... have any of you ever renewed an extended warranty on your rigs? If so, did you opt for a different company or stay with who you had?

I have Cornerstone. Would I renew with them, probably. The only thing I wish they had were tire and axle coverage

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:24 AM   #3

Arizona
I had an extended warranty on my Voltage and when it expired the cost to renew it, as I recall, was cost prohibitive. I didn't renew.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #4

Tom,,, I had the extended warranty on my Voltage also from GS. Was disappointed several times of things that were not covered. Since then it has expired and I never renewed it. Recently I upgraded to a class A Motorcoach.. I contacted GS and their rates were off the chart. I got something more reasonable through Wholesale warranties. They are located in California. Research showed very few complaints and for the most part, the people who have it is very satisfied with the plan.
You might want to look them up and give a call to check out their prices..it only takes a few minutes..
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote