Dual Propane Tanks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

Colorado
Dual Propane Tanks

I have dual propane tanks like most folks, I assume. Is it safe to use those in-line tank fill indicators - available at Lowes and such? I would put one on each tank but given the system, I assume both tanks drain equally. Do most folks remove the tanks to fill them or just drive the trailer to a filling station? Thanks.

MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #2

New York
We do NOT use our tanks to drain equally....we will use one till empty and then switch to the full tank....just our way of doing it! We bring the empty tank to our propane dealer and have it filled and then we put it back on the trailer.

As far as a tank fill indicator - we have one that came with the trailer.

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

Colorado
Good thought on the draining procedure. I figured they were connected in parallel but I guess you could turn one bottle off. Makes sense. Can someone explain the way the propane works on the refrigerator? Can I put the reefer on propane when I am traveling for the day top keep the food cool? Is there a combustion process involved that I need to worry about while on the road?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #4

Colorado
Kathy and Leo, I love the Adirondacks. I went to St. Lawrence for undergrad in Canton and spent 4 years hiking the high peaks of the Adirondacks. Some of my fondest memories are winter hiking and camping with friends. Wonderful area.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
Kathy and Leo, I love the Adirondacks. I went to St. Lawrence for undergrad in Canton and spent 4 years hiking the high peaks of the Adirondacks. Some of my fondest memories are winter hiking and camping with friends. Wonderful area.
Thank you - we love this little piece of God's green acres! We moved here from NJ - just outside NYC - so the pace was something to get used to - or should I say the lack of pace!!!

As far as the frig - we travel with it on...shut it off when fueling up and if we go through tunnels.....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
Good thought on the draining procedure. I figured they were connected in parallel but I guess you could turn one bottle off. Makes sense. Can someone explain the way the propane works on the refrigerator? Can I put the reefer on propane when I am traveling for the day top keep the food cool? Is there a combustion process involved that I need to worry about while on the road?
You should have an indicator your regulator that points to the tank in use. The other is empty, close the valve disconnect and take it to be filled.

As far as driving with the fridge on... yes, no, maybe.

If the fridge is completely cooled down and pretty full you can run a good ways before it warms up enough to be a problem. The only issue with running with LP would be during refueling and some tunnels/bridges prohibit it.

I am more prone to run with the furnace on in the winter time that I am to run with the fridge on.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:56 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
You should have an indicator your regulator that points to the tank in use. The other is empty, close the valve disconnect and take it to be filled.

As far as driving with the fridge on... yes, no, maybe.

If the fridge is completely cooled down and pretty full you can run a good ways before it warms up enough to be a problem. The only issue with running with LP would be during refueling and some tunnels/bridges prohibit it.

I am more prone to run with the furnace on in the winter time that I am to run with the fridge on.

Aaron
The automatic switch over regulator is pretty standard in todays RVs. Take a look at your regulator, if it has a the lever Aaron is talking about, there should also be an indicator that will change from green to red when a tank has emptied.

If you don't have an automatic change over regulator, it is well worth upgrading to one. The cost will not be much more than buying an indicator for each tank.

I drilled a 2 1/2" hole in the tank cover right at the indicator level and glued a piece of lexan on the inside of the cover. Now it's a simple matter of having a look through the window once a day, when the indicator is showing red, remove the cover, switch the lever to the full tank, close the valve on the empty tank and get it refilled. Replace and repeat.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Heh, heh...

I have an old (40 years old) Fisher dual tank regulator that doesn't have the indicator. I also have a lifetime supply of rebuild kits for it.

However all the new ones seem to come with the indicator.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #9

California
Living in the desert I have to keep my frig on while traveling. Never had a problem refuelling but than I do tow with a diesel. This is my first RV with built in generator so I'm running with the a/c on to keep it cool inside. Leaving on 4th of July & first stop will be in Las Vegas. It will be nice not to have to try and cool a RV that's 110+ on the inside when we get there.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #10

Oklahoma
To answer the question of how the fridge works, it is sort of like the A/C unit, only it doesn't recirculate the coolant (the propane gas), but burns it off instead. To do this, there is a "chimney" in the fridge that exhausts out the top of the unit. Some trailers and motorhomes have the vent on the roof, and it has a long narrow cover over it, that allows the unit to burn properly even with the air blowing over the top of the trailer when driving. Others (like mine) have the fridge in a slide out. These units have 2 big vents in the side of the slide, and the upper one vents the exhaust from the fridge out the side. This also protects the exhaust, and allows the fridge to operate while moving. We run ours and have not had it stop working while we drive. Keep in mind that there is an open flame in there, so make sure to keep the exhaust clean, or it could be a hazard. Wasps and such like to get in there so we cover our vents with a sheet of plastic when it is stored.