Dry Ice in Reefer as an Option While Moving - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #1

Colorado
Dry Ice in Reefer as an Option While Moving

We have a supermarket right around the corner that sells dry ice. Does anyone see any harm in sticking a block in the fridge for a travel day instead of running the propane option? If I stick it on the metal rack does anyone see any harm being done?

MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

Oklahoma
The only problem that I could see is that it might freeze things in the fridge. The surface temp of dry ice is -109°.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #3

California
My rid was 110 in it last night at 9:30 pm. It was cooler (100 degrees) out side. I turned on the frig & the a/c. This morning my frig temperature is at 40 degrees. We started to load it for vacation come the Fourth. Just use the propane it works great & doesn't use that much anyway. Oh yea and the inside of my rig was down to 82 degrees this morning.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
You could use the dry ice. My dad used to use it in our coolers many, many, many years ago. He would wrap it in newspaper, put on the bottom. Don't recall how much, but it would last for at least a couple of days.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #5

Oklahoma
As I remember it, dry ice under food keeps frozen stuff frozen, dry ice over food will freeze food.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
We have a supermarket right around the corner that sells dry ice. Does anyone see any harm in sticking a block in the fridge for a travel day instead of running the propane option? If I stick it on the metal rack does anyone see any harm being done?
We have always used thr propane mode while moving down the road. Never a problem. You might consider placing a couple jugs og frozen distiller water in the refer. You will not only help the refer stay cold but you will have ice cold water as it melts!
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #7

Wyoming
Dry ice will be fine and as Aaron stated, wrap it in paper. That way you can handle it without burning yourself. If you put it on a metal rack it will squeal like a stuck pig!

I don't run propane while traveling as it really is not safe. I have seen many burned out or burning RV's on the side of the road. In an accident your asking for more grief as a broken gas line is a given. Too many people forget to turn off the gas when refueling their tow vehicles as well. Scary stuff.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Dry ice will be fine and as Aaron stated, wrap it in paper. That way you can handle it without burning yourself. If you put it on a metal rack it will squeal like a stuck pig!

I don't run propane while traveling as it really is not safe. I have seen many burned out or burning RV's on the side of the road. In an accident your asking for more grief as a broken gas line is a given. Too many people forget to turn off the gas when refueling their tow vehicles as well. Scary stuff.
Most of the burned out RV's I have seen have been due to either generator issues or battery/electrical fires. (Used to work as an accident investigator). Also if you get a broken LP line there is supposed to be an excess flow valve, as well as the one that is built into the regulator, these should shut down the LP flow if there is excessive flow.

I have done a massive amount of research and have only found a very few RV fires that could be traced back to the refrigerators being run on LP, and in almost every case there was some sort of contributory negligence on the part of the owner; not keeping the fridge burner compartment clean, fueling with the flame on, etc.

Personally I am more worried about being in an vehicle accident caused by someone else than I am having an LP fire caused by traveling with the fridge on. YMMV

Aaron
Old 07-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #9

Wyoming
I agree Aaron. I was referring to vehicle accidents caused by whoever which were then exacerbated by a propane leak. I was not aware of the excess flow valve, is this a relatively new thing?

I would like to know more about that valve as I think then I may well use the propane on the fridge while travelling.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #10

Colorado
Well, I ra with the propane and it worked great. I think next time I will try the dry ice just to chalk up experience. Thanks everyone for the advice. Sounds like both are viable with pros and cons of each.
MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #11

Wyoming
Some research regarding running your propane while driving unearthed some interesting information. Here in British Columbia and I suspect in all other jurisdictions as well it is unlawful to do so.

The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations require that the appliance tank valves be closed when your RV is moving.

So, that answers that, I guess.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Some research regarding running your propane while driving unearthed some interesting information. Here in British Columbia and I suspect in all other jurisdictions as well it is unlawful to do so.

The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations require that the appliance tank valves be closed when your RV is moving.

So, that answers that, I guess.
My state NC (USA) doesn't have any regulations for or against it. Weight is a different matter.

To the best of my knowledge the only restrictions on LP tanks in the US are in some tunnels and bridges on the East Coast. Baltimore Harbor Tunnel and the Fort McHenry Tunnels ban all LP. The Bay Bridge/Tunnel and the Hampton Roads tunnel allow them, but the valves have to be closed.

Aaron
Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #13

Utah
Before we had the RV we had we would have a large ice box that
we used. We would go camping in the desert every year with temps in 110+ so it was hard to keep things cold.

I purchased a small cheap lunch box size cooler which we would fill
with dry ice. Then put it in this "coffin" size cooler with one block of
ice next to this lunchbox filled with dry ice. It would stay frozen all week long and very cold.

If I was concern I would considered buying a small lunchbox and put the dry ice in it.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:15 AM   #14

South Carolina
I've followed similar threads in other boards. On our recent trip to KS (3000 miles) we ran the fridge on propane while underway, and shut it off before refueling. Yes, I know both sides have their advocates. But my question is:
What are the fridge manufacturers telling us when 3-ways have become more and more 2-ways? How do they expect us to keep the milk, meat, and perishables cool while on the road? All I can find is that they've dropped the 12volt option because too many leave it on and end up with a dead battery. OK, so? Aside from ideas such as dry ice, just exactly what are they telling us? Keep the drive short? It's OK to use propane? Run a generator in the back of the tow vehicle and plug in to 120vac? I cannot get an official position from any fridge manufacture. Anybody else?
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #15

Wyoming
Marty, the reason we've seen a shift away from the 12V fridges is that the fridges are too big to run on 12V now. I've hooked up a battery monitor in my RV and tested to see whether I'm getting any 12V charging from my tow vehicle through the plug. I am not, neither when the engine is off or on. So, the 12V fridges would seriously drain down your batteries in hot weather or on long trips (or both).
We used to have a boat which had a 12V fridge and it took serious power to keep cold. Our deep cycle batteries could only do 2 days using the fridge. The fridge in our trailer is twice as big and we are no where near the sizes you find in some RV's.

The 'run on propane while driving' is a regional thing, some areas allow it, others do not. Dry ice is a good option. I have a 2 litre milk jug in my home freezer at all times and put that in my fridge for travelling. I freeze any meat prior to travelling and keep an ice pack in the freezer to help. I've never had issues on long trip though I do not travel in the American SW in summer. It can get hot here too in summer though and as I've said, never had issues on trips up to 5 hours.