Denali 262RLX - Supporting Trailer Slide Wiring - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Texas
Denali 262RLX - Supporting Trailer Slide Wiring

We were on our last day of our vacation and 70 miles from home we had a blowout. The good news was that a Texas State Trooper pulled in behind us within minutes. He insisted that he pull the blown out tire and replace it with the spare. I tried to help but he refused. He was great and we really appreciated his help. The bad news is that the blowout tore out all the support structure for the trailer lighting wiring beneath the slide. While most of the support is gone, the actual wiring is still intact. I held it all up with cable ties to get us home. I tried to have it fixed at a dealer but they have a six week waiting list. So I need to repair this myself. I did order a new wire guard after conferring with Dutchmen and their parts supplier. What I do not know is if there is any other piece of the support stucture that is missing. If anyone owns a 262RLX, a picture of the underside of the slide showing how the cabling is supported and dressed would be a huge help. Thanks.

HarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
We were on our last day of our vacation and 70 miles from home we had a blowout. The good news was that a Texas State Trooper pulled in behind us within minutes. He insisted that he pull the blown out tire and replace it with the spare. I tried to help but he refused. He was great and we really appreciated his help. The bad news is that the blowout tore out all the support structure for the trailer lighting wiring beneath the slide. While most of the support is gone, the actual wiring is still intact. I held it all up with cable ties to get us home. I tried to have it fixed at a dealer but they have a six week waiting list. So I need to repair this myself. I did order a new wire guard after conferring with Dutchmen and their parts supplier. What I do not know is if there is any other piece of the support stucture that is missing. If anyone owns a 262RLX, a picture of the underside of the slide showing how the cabling is supported and dressed would be a huge help. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum, Harry.

Can't help you with a picture, but I'm sure there will be one showing up soon.

I'll take all the help I can get, but it's extra nice when a Blue Knight shows up and helps you out of what could be a very bad situation.

I've had a few times when I've had to pull over on an interstate and it ain't fun especially on the road side of the rig. It's amazing how they put themselves in danger, to protect you.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #3

Ohio
Quote:
Hi HarryB,
I am new here too but I might be able to help you. My coachman uses this "Flex guard" support and I believe it is an industry standard feature with Lippert systems for slide wires or might work for you. Have a look.
https://store.lci1.com/flex-guard-kits
2015 F-250 FX4 SD 6.2L Gas 4WD SuperCab XL 3.73 rear
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Hi HarryB,
I am new here too but I might be able to help you. My coachman uses this "Flex guard" support and I believe it is an industry standard feature with Lippert systems for slide wires or might work for you. Have a look.
https://store.lci1.com/flex-guard-kits
Thanks for the reply. This is the part that I have already ordered. I expect to have it this Thursday. My issue right now is how to connect the guard strap to the inner surface of the slide wall. Hopefully someone will come up with a photo of my particular model. HarryB
Old 08-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. This is the part that I have already ordered. I expect to have it this Thursday. My issue right now is how to connect the guard strap to the inner surface of the slide wall. Hopefully someone will come up with a photo of my particular model. HarryB
Harry,

I don't know if this will help you, my camper has a little different setup the your Lippert part. It is just a bracket attached to the frame with two bolts. I imagine they are all pretty much the same as far as mounts are concerned.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Harry,

I don't know if this will help you, my camper has a little different setup the your Lippert part. It is just a bracket attached to the frame with two bolts. I imagine they are all pretty much the same as far as mounts are concerned.
Try again.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #7

British Columbia
I'll try later, I'm having some of those gremlin things in my iPad. It does this every once in a while.

There is usually a good installation manual included with the retail parts, but I'll give the picture another try later today.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #8

Texas
Jim,

Thanks for trying with the picture. I am still looking for anyone with a Denali 262RLX that can send a picture of how to terminate the outer end of the wire Flex Guard. Harry
Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

Ontario
I have a 262 RLX and will post pics tomorrow or saturday as we are on the road tonight and tomorrow, what are you looking for picture wise?
I can send pics of the cabling but is there something you want close ups of?

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #10

Ohio
Quote:
Jim,

Thanks for trying with the picture. I am still looking for anyone with a Denali 262RLX that can send a picture of how to terminate the outer end of the wire Flex Guard. Harry
The Flex Guard slides on to an aluminum rod on the slide side and is fastened to the trailer frame with self tappers. I hope you get the pics you need.
2015 F-250 FX4 SD 6.2L Gas 4WD SuperCab XL 3.73 rear
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers View Post
I have a 262 RLX and will post pics tomorrow or saturday as we are on the road tonight and tomorrow, what are you looking for picture wise?
I can send pics of the cabling but is there something you want close ups of?
Thank you for the reply and hope you are enjoying your Denali. Here is what I need. The flex guard (a 1-5/8" wide plastic strap) pivots from a 8" aluminum rod that is attached to the underside of the trailer chassis, just outside the steel frame. The electrical wires are tie wrapped to this strap. I have about 22 inches of the strap remaining starting at the aluminum rod. I need pictures that show the strap as it progresses to the inside of the outer wall of the slide.
Please show how it attaches to the outer wall and if there are any hinge points in the strap. Thanks for your help. HarryB
Old 08-21-2016, 03:58 AM   #12

Ontario
Sorry we were away from the camper all day and by the time I got back it was dark. I'll take the pics in the am and post them asap. I'll try and get what you need.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #13

Ontario
Swivel pin outside of popout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	3557  

Old 08-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #14

Ontario
Having trouble uploading pics not sure why. i can't upload anymore pics I try but only the text posts. Not sure why. I might have to wait till I get home tomorrow night to upload the remaining pics.
If anyone has an idea what I'm doing wrong let me know this is the first time I've tried to upload pics

Old 08-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #15

Ontario
Pictures of wiring support under popout on 262RLX
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	283
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	3558  

Old 08-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #16

Ontario
More pics? One at a time I guess.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	276
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	3559  

Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #17

Ontario
One more
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	274
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	3560  

Old 08-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #18

Ontario
If you needanything else or a better picture let me know ill try and get what you need, or maybe a video would work better. Just let me know.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #19

Texas
Derek, thank you for taking the time and effort to get these pictures to me. They did help. I have a 2014 model. The interesting thing is they reversed the position of the aluminum pivot pin. Your pivot pin is mounted to the outside of the slide and yours has a double wide plastic wire guard. My model has a single wide wire guard and the pivot pin is mounted on the trailer chassis. Even though they are different, your pictures give me enough information to make the repair. On my work list for tomorrow. Thanks again. HarryB
Old 08-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #20

Texas
This is the BEST forum!

Some of the finest folks. drogers, you are a true gent.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote