Campsite size vs trailer size - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #1

Ontario
Campsite size vs trailer size

Hi folks. As I am waiting before picking up our first ever RV, I am perusing campgrounds and planning some trips. The Provincial campgrounds in my area list their campsites as being able to accommodate trailers 1) up to 25', 2) 25-31', 3) over 31'

Do the site sizes include the hitch length or just the trailer itself? Our 241RBSL trailer will be 24 feet in length but with the hitch is 27 feet. I guess my question is: Should I be looking at the "up to 25" or "25-31" foot sites?

Sorry for the silly question but I don't want to book a site that my trailer can't fit in. Thanks.
Don

WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

Tennessee
I would call the campground and ask, that's a lot safer than us guessing for you. I would hope they take into account the actual trailer length and provide a few more feet than advertised, but one never knows.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #3

Florida
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I would call the campground and ask, that's a lot safer than us guessing for you. I would hope they take into account the actual trailer length and provide a few more feet than advertised, but one never knows.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #4

British Columbia
Don,

This is just a personal preference, but I always like a site that I can park the full rig in site, nose to tail.

If you are booking your provincial sites online like we can in BC, book the biggest site you can get. Our provincial campgrounds in BC are fairly generous and most of the site sizes allow you the park nose to tail, but there is the odd exception.

If you get a site that you can't get park nose to tail, you can usually park the TV across the driveway.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #5

California
I would pick the largest size they have. Once you RV awhile you will find some sites are harder to get into then others. Older government & private parks are more of a problem then newer ones.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #6

Maryland
I always look for the biggest spot. However, if I am asked for length in which payment will be determined, I always use the box length. For instance, we have a bumper pull TH also, 23 ft box, 27 ft nose to tale...I shoot for the <25 ft payment options.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

Ontario
Thanks guys, sounds like good advice. I think for now I'll book the biggest ones I can find and once I get the hang of it I'll know if I can maneuver the smaller ones.

WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote