Camping World & Extended Warranty - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #1

Camping World & Extended Warranty

I'll be taking delivery of a "new" 2009 Kodiak Scamper 23tt this Thursday at Camping World. I presume (but don't know for sure) they may try to sell me an extended warranty. If resonable in cost, I may be inclinded to purchase it due to three pop-outs and a slide. Anyone have experience with Camping World's extended warranties? I would like to have some idea before I go in to sign paperwork, if these warranties are worthless or a good investment.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #2

British Columbia
Re: Camping World & Extended Warranty

We don't have a Camping World in Kamloops...however most rv dealers will offer them. To me... purchasing an extended warranty is a personal choice... We have one on our 2010... There are several levels of coverage. Do your research find out what is to be covered etc. If I was to do it again and decided to get the extended warranty I would shop around...I would also bargain a little harder..meaning if I take your extended warranty what will u do for me. I understand the dealers make nothing but money from selling these and there is nothing wrong with that ...but cut the customer a little slack sometimes.

Sorry I couldn't be more definitive...good luck.

Coops

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #3

Thx for the feedback Coops. I got a call from the dealership today letting me know paperwork was all ready and they gave me a breakdown on the extended warranty.

3 yr extended warranty = $2,500.00 US! (This doesn't include accrued intrest if you fold the cost into the loan - ouch.)
Warranty covers all systems: furnace, ac, plumbing, applainces, wiring, slideout. ect. But of course the roof and pop-outs are NOT included. The warranty is offered thru Good Sam who has a tight marketing relationship with Camping World these days.
My impression is its a pretty steep price tag for less than complete coverage. Even if I could bargin with them and get the price down $500, I think I would still be getting the short end of the deal. I'll stock a few $$$ away in a rainy day fund and pass on this warranty.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #4

I opted not to take the extended warranty. In fact, as a rule I usually opt out on all purchases. The exception was my iMac.

My dealer offered a warranty where if you don't use it, you get it back. Well guess what, that goes out the window if you even use $10 of it. I cannot imagine anything that I could not repair myself for less than the cost of the warranty. The exception is maybe the fiberglass itself, but that wasn't covered anyway. Also, after reading through the literature, some items (like the fridge I think) have 3-yr manf warranties anyway!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #5

I opted for the warranty on a new travel trailer recently. 7 years of bumper to bumper warranty for $2800. This is roadside, campsite or at a RV dealer. Xtraride is the warranty company and wherever there is a dealer I get service for my trailer. I believe its a decent deal and also a reassurance when on vacation, I for one do not want to be fooling around for hours or more to fix an issue when on holidays with the family!! Rvs have a lot of different systems and componets, when looking around on the Good Sam forum and reading about all the problems people have, I think its a good choice!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcabuddy
I opted for the warranty on a new travel trailer recently. 7 years of bumper to bumper warranty for $2800. This is roadside, campsite or at a RV dealer. Xtraride is the warranty company and wherever there is a dealer I get service for my trailer. I believe its a decent deal and also a reassurance when on vacation, I for one do not want to be fooling around for hours or more to fix an issue when on holidays with the family!! Rvs have a lot of different systems and componets, when looking around on the Good Sam forum and reading about all the problems people have, I think its a good choice!
I appreciate you're input arcabuddy. For your circumstance I can see why one my opt for the coverage. I would be looking at the same up front cost for less than half the # of yrs. For me that is not a good investment.

To clarify my statement about the systems coverage for our potinetial policy. The bunkend vinyl is NOT covered, but the hardware (metal support brackets) ARE covered.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #7

British Columbia

Just an update we paid $1700 cd for 72 months and a $50.00 deductable...had to find the policy as our converter/charger failed. Would not charge the batteries and we had no interior lights unless they ran through the batteries. The company is First Canadian Protection Plus..in Sherwood Park Alberta...from what I understand a pretty familiar extended warranty company. The converter/charger was just past the 2 year warranty period.Model #WF 8955PEC.

Coops

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote