Camera & Moisture Tool Recommendations... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

Wyoming
Camera & Moisture Tool Recommendations...

I'd like recommendations on the following 2 items, from you guys who either own or have used them:

* Moisture Meter

* Flexible Inspection Camera

Pros, cons... what's so great about it, would you buy it again... is there a reason you wouldn't buy/use a certain item, etc.

Had a pretty bad leak in my roof during the hurricane back in October, with water continuously dripping from one on my ceiling puck lights... but hasn't leaked at all in any of the 3 rainstorms we've had since I got back here 3 weeks ago after the surgery I had in November. Since I assume that a faith-healer didn't miraculously intervene during my absence, I figure there's still gotta be an issue up there somewhere... and I know at some point, I've gotta check it out.

Thanks in advance

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I'd like recommendations on the following 2 items, from you guys who either own or have used them:

* Moisture Meter

Pros, cons... what's so great about it, would you buy it again... is there a reason you wouldn't buy/use a certain item, etc.

Had a pretty bad leak in my roof during the hurricane back in October, with water continuously dripping from one on my ceiling puck lights... but hasn't leaked at all in any of the 3 rainstorms we've had since I got back here 3 weeks ago after the surgery I had in November. Since I assume that a faith-healer didn't miraculously intervene during my absence, I figure there's still gotta be an issue up there somewhere... and I know at some point, I've gotta check it out.

Thanks in advance
I had that puck light leak problem in the big oval thing over my table. Took a few times to find from where it was coming but finally got it stopped.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I have a General Tools bore scope camera. It worked great for several years but just quit recently. Haven't had a chance to figure out why it quit working. It was a good value for the money at the time I purchased it.

As far as moisture meters... how much do you want to spend? We use some higher end Delmhorst meters at work, they go for ~$600+ each. We also have some less expensive Extech that seem to be fairly accurate.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

Michigan
Quote:

* Moisture Meter

Thanks in advance
The wife got me one of these two years ago (mainly because I have several other Ridgid tools). Very happy with it and have used it ALOT. https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-CA-25-...n+camera+rigid
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:26 PM   #5

Wyoming
Talking

Thanks for the replies...

Aaron, yeah in re a moisture meter, not sure I can justify the cost of an industrial quality instrument... but if I'm gonna invest in one, I do want something that is fairly accurate, fairly user-friendly, and gonna last me awhile. Yeah, I know... that's like the fella who told a mechanic he wanted quality work done quickly & cheap. The mechanic replied, "pick 2 out of 3"

So with that in mind, I'm open to your recommendations.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:49 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks for the replies...

Aaron, yeah in re a moisture meter, not sure I can justify the cost of an industrial quality instrument... but if I'm gonna invest in one, I do want something that is fairly accurate, fairly user-friendly, and gonna last me awhile. Yeah, I know... that's like the fella who told a mechanic he wanted quality work done quickly & cheap. The mechanic replied, "pick 2 out of 3"

So with that in mind, I'm open to your recommendations.
I would think the Extech that I linked to is going to be the best bang for your buck.

Aaron

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:04 AM   #7

Nevada
ATCguy, I used a camera on a few Rv's that I repaired and it saved me time, when I had to look inside walls for wiring and leaks, I haven't used a moisture meter, but I wish I had one.....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:37 PM   #8

North Carolina
Best way is to build your own fan for pressuring the camper. Then mix up some soapy water and go out side and start making bubbles. Do it once a year.

Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote