bike racks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Kentucky
bike racks

I have a 2017 Kodiak 186e expandable. Does anyone have experience with a rear bumper mounted 2 bike rack installed on this model? Thanks!

Elkhorn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #2

Tennessee
I don't have the same camper, but if you have the 4" square tube bumper THIS ONE works awesome.

Mine has held up well, I regularly check the welds on the bumper mounts for cracking, after 3 years it still looks like new. I also have the spare tire mounted back there.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:01 AM   #3

Kentucky
Thank you for the link! It is the weld failure scenario that I am concerned about. That might be manufacturer specific question answered by Dutchman 186e owners, but I like the idea that you did it and it works. I will make a visible evaluation as to the quality of the weld and if warranted have it reinforced. ed
Elkhorn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

North Carolina
When we purchased our 172e (slightly smaller than yours) I asked about installing a bumper-mounted receiver for our bikes (I already had a hitch mounted bike rack). The dealer said it wasnt recommended -- too much bouncing/stresson the bumper -- and suggested mounting the receiver directly to the trailer frame. We decided to go with a truck bed solution instead.
ricks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #5

Montana
The usual advice is that the factory rear bumper (4" square) is not attached adequately to support any kind of weight that withstands the rigors of travel. Bumper attachment to the frame would need to be reinforced by a welder. I have never done this, this is just what I've read online. The RV dealer did tell me that if I wanted to mount a something on my rear TT bumper (standard 4" square) to store a generator, then it would need this kind of reinforcement to be reliable.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #6

Colorado
Factory tube is no good

Don't clamp anything on the factory bumper, it won't support it. I took my Kodiak to a local welder. He welded a cross beam from one side of the frame to the other then the tube to insert the receiver in off the back of that. It sticks out just past the tube bumper and he also welded to the bottom of that to help with flex. It's been a while but I think I paid $150 or $175 with no wiring. It's been flawless for 4 years carrying 4 bikes on a Kuat NV rack.

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote