Bent Frame - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2015, 12:20 AM   #1

California
Angry Bent Frame

I am being told that my 2007 Denali 295BS has a bent frame on it after hitting something on the road. My Insurance company is telling me this is due to "Normal Wear & Tear" not by the jolt it took, hitting whatever on the road. Anyone else run into anything like this? :

PJTRIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #2

Michigan
What did you hit?

AeroliteMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #3

California
I had a major blow out on my Teton which caused over $4,000 worth of damage. My insurance covered it with no problem.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #4

California
Bent frame

Thank you for your input. I I don't know what I hit but I got a jolt to the truck when it happened.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #5

Tennessee
By their logic, every rv on the road has a bent frame. You know how you tell an insurance agent is lying...

On the other hand you should have stopped when you hit something, you can't give those guys a loophole, no matter how small.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
By their logic, every rv on the road has a bent frame. You know how you tell an insurance agent is lying...

On the other hand you should have stopped when you hit something, you can't give those guys a loophole, no matter how small.
I did stop and looked under and around the coach and did not see any damages. My frame is not visable because it has the 4 season package so I did not see it when I stopped about 1/4 after hitting whatever.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJTRIF View Post
I did stop and looked under and around the coach and did not see any damages. My frame is not visable because it has the 4 season package so I did not see it when I stopped about 1/4 after hitting whatever.
Fair enough.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJTRIF View Post
So who is saying it's bent.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:49 AM   #9

Illinois
Bent Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post

I'd call the agent back. dawniewest is right. By his logic, if it's normal wear and tear, every 8 year old unit should have a bent frame. Besides, it wasn't bent the last time you checked it, right?
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:36 AM   #10

Utah
I would file a claim officially, let them reject, then escalate it. I would call the 800# not your agent office.

I think it might be your agent being a jerk IMHO.

As one poster said everyone should have a bent frame.

Once you get it resolved change insurance companies.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #11

New York
We had a problem on our Sunline......we hit a HUGE pothole and cracked our A frame......our insurance paid for it.....I called our company directly (Progressive) - not my agent!!!!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
We had a problem on our Sunline......we hit a HUGE pothole and cracked our A frame......our insurance paid for it.....I called our company directly (Progressive) - not my agent!!!!
That took some doing... Sunlines were pretty stout trailers!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That took some doing... Sunlines were pretty stout trailers!

Aaron

Aaron - I cry every time I think of our 2499 - loved that trailer, traded in for the Dutchmen!

That was a well built, with a beautiful interior & wood cabinets.....we thought we would appreciate the garage, as getting kayaks & bikes on the roof of the truck was becoming more difficult....our bad!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:30 AM   #14

Nevada
Well that's real funny, before my Voltage, I owned a 2007 Montana 5 wheel, so that's 8 years old and we went from Canada to Texas, every year we had it and some of those roads were real bad!! Wow before I sold it we had everything checked and didn't find any Bend Frame.... Good luck on Ins. I would fight it, why do you have Ins. if they are not going to cover even road damage.....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Aaron - I cry every time I think of our 2499 - loved that trailer, traded in for the Dutchmen!

That was a well built, with a beautiful interior & wood cabinets.....we thought we would appreciate the garage, as getting kayaks & bikes on the roof of the truck was becoming more difficult....our bad!
We found a couple of the 2363 used that we were interested in. One was in extremely poor shape due to lack of maintenance, the other one they would never call back. I think my all time favorite floor plan on the Sunline was the T1950.

We don't have need for or really want a toy hauler, so the smaller TT work just fine for us. Right now the best thing I can find on the East Coast is the Lance. It is a shame that Sunline was put out of business by some idiot venture capitalists that had no clue how to run a company.

The only reason I bought our Coleman was because it was the smallest thing I could find with a walk around bed and it was pretty cheap. I lucked up and got a relatively well built unit. I already have several people expressing an interest in buying it when we get ready to move up to the Lance.

Aaron
Old 06-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:

We don't kayak but we do cycle, and drag the dog around in a trailer.

In the current issue of Trailer Life they have a review with a small toy hauler being pulled by one of the new Ford Transit vans. They have a very respectable tow rating for the size and have a diesel option available too.

We have a pretty good grasp on what we want/need. We will be heading off to the Ford dealer to test drive one of the vans.

We want a full sized walk around queen bed, low to the ground and able to tow with a 1/2 ton vehicle. The van would give us closed secure storage and is available in several sizes. Might just be the ticket.

Aaron
Old 06-14-2015, 03:27 AM   #17

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
We don't kayak but we do cycle, and drag the dog around in a trailer.

In the current issue of Trailer Life they have a review with a small toy hauler being pulled by one of the new Ford Transit vans. They have a very respectable tow rating for the size and have a diesel option available too.

We have a pretty good grasp on what we want/need. We will be heading off to the Ford dealer to test drive one of the vans.

We want a full sized walk around queen bed, low to the ground and able to tow with a 1/2 ton vehicle. The van would give us closed secure storage and is available in several sizes. Might just be the ticket.

Aaron
Aaron, I too, read that article and found it interesting. At first glance, I thought, "what? a UPS truck towing a camper?" But upon review, I see that is a cross between a wagon and a truck. Towing specs are respectable, as you noted. I'll be interested to hear how your visit to Ford goes.
The little Jayco is interesting, too. All the needed features, like bathroom, kitchen, fridge and TV mount. But everything else is utility, i.e. either space for toys or fold-away sofas/table. Everything is utility, you're not bringing the stylish living room and cabinetry on this trip.
Between the two vehicles, you could bring lots of toys and stuff!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Funny thing Marty... I know a guy that tows an Airstream with a Sprinter. He carries tools and his Ducatti in the Sprinter. He is a roving RV tech.

I could care less about the toy hauler, but the van definitely has my attention. I looked at the wagon version but they apparently are heavy enough that the tow ratings take a major hit, not surprising considering the amount of glass and interior appointments. According to the Ford website you can get a van with the driver's compartment pretty well optioned out and have the rear insulated and padded. This might just be a throw back to the 1968 Dodge van my dad had.

Aaron

Tags
295bs, bent frame