BAL Accuslide cable system slide - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2017, 11:05 PM   #1

North Carolina
BAL Accuslide cable system slide

We have just purchased our new 2017 Kodiak Ultimate 230rbsl with the dinette slide. The slide system is the BAL Accuslide cable type. No problems yet with motor or cables. Just wondering how to get the flexible drill extension tool thingy into the end of the motor and use to retract or extend when motor not operating. Dealer says to remove the wood trim valance on top of slide room to access motor and cables...duh...would if could get trim removed. DEaler says it's screwed on...duh...no it isn't. Dealer says could be a removable panel in trim piece...duh...if there is i wish they would show me. I may be dumb, but i ain't stupid.

So, question is,have any of you had to remove this trim valance...and how did you do it without destroying it ?

P.S. I even asked dealer to go and look at other units in yard...don't seem interested. Got my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$...they were interested then.

TAC RV in Moyock, NC...

gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
I will have to look the next time I am at the dealer, but IIRC you will have to remove the trim and no it is not screwed on, it is put on with nails. Unfortunately the manufacturers don't always think things through very well.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #3

North Carolina
Thanks wahoonc ! Yep...quality and common sense design never were rv manufacturer strong suits. We all have had experiences. But, maybe the dealers should tell their reps and maybe they should tell the factories...and...

Not going to make this spoil my rv'ing.

My sales rep at TC, Dana, is amazing !
Old 04-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #4

Michigan
Why didn't you ask Dana to go get you the information you wanted? I can assure you, Dana got more of your money then the Service Manager did.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #5

North Carolina
I did...he was sympathetic. Hope i never have to take there for repairs. Paid for Compass RV warranty plan. Sleep a little better, and maybe they will be better at actually doing repairs. They are all very friendly and polite people. I just believe that factory reps could be more involved in the process, and informed about construction and repairs. This would be better for everyone concerned. I'd hate to be a repair tech in the middle of an owner and ill-informed and trained management. Sad...But all are same.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:39 AM   #6

North Carolina
Update...Finally got email back from Keystone RV (Dutchmen) and they said to just remove the access panel section in the middle of the fascia trim to access the slide motor. Put that little flexible drill extension "thingy" in the end of motor and away we go...manual override ! Duh...slight problem...no removable section in the fascia. Guess they forgot that on the assembly line. Dutchmen Kodiak website shows a removable panel in fascia...but mine didn't get one. Emailed them back to tell them if slide failed, i was leaving trailer wherever it was parked at the time and they could come get it. Sent them pictures to prove we didn't have panel...waiting for their reply. Looked on RV Trader for same model and some have access, some don't !
Old 04-29-2017, 01:42 AM   #7

North Carolina
Oh yeh...haven't seen paperwork from bank yet...maybe just take it back ! Tell them forget the deal.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 PM   #8

North Carolina
Was by my dealer on Monday, giving them the coleman grill, grill holder, and the little frig out of the outdoor kitchen...didn't need any of those items. Will use the outdoor kitchen for storage of the hose, elec. cord, sewer hose, etc.

Anyway, what i wanted to tell everyone one was that while i was there i grabbed Richard from the service dept. and asked him to show me how to manually override the cable slide system. Another unit just like ours did have a removable panel in the middle of the top fascia trim...but ours doesn't. So, he told me to carefully remove the 1-1/2 inch wide piece of thin moulding that runs along the middle of the trim, from one end to the other. Yes, behind that there should be screws that need removed. There are supposedly placed 12 inches apart. Then, place the flexible drill extension "thingy" in the end of the motor and with your "stretch Armstrong" arms you could reach far enough to retract the slide.

Yippee ! Still doesn't explain why some came with a removable panel and others didn't. Hope never have to do this little chore.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #9

North Carolina
So, if you ever buy a trailer from TAC Trailer Sales in Moyock, NC and need something done, just go to service and see Richard. He rocks !