AAA or Good Sam or??? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 11:24 PM   #21

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I have Geico, but have not had to use it...yet. Supposed to cover tows, flats, etc.

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:00 AM   #22

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Wow! That sucks. What was there excuse?? What was the difference in distance between the 2 locations?

I will check out CAA RV.

Thanks
Have fun.
Bill
50 miles north to the dodge dealer and 30 miles south to the farm equipment dealer....they wanted 1065$ extra above what it would have costed to take truck & trailer to farm equip dealer...local towing company came and towed each unit to the dodge dealer for 265$ each, so basically 1/3 of the price.....

23satd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:44 AM   #23

California
Friday we stopped at a scenic overlook and watched a 5th wheel getting a tow. The gentleman chatted with us a said he had AAA and it’s been fantastic. Despite being AAA members, we had been on the fence. But after this conversation, we decided to go with AAA. This guy was having his whole setup towed to the truck repair shop, then the5th wheel unhooked and towed to the storage facility. Amazing service.
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #24

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23satd5 View Post
50 miles north to the dodge dealer and 30 miles south to the farm equipment dealer....they wanted 1065$ extra above what it would have costed to take truck & trailer to farm equip dealer...local towing company came and towed each unit to the dodge dealer for 265$ each, so basically 1/3 of the price.....
So they decided for you that the tractor repair facility was as good as a Dodge Dealer. And they were not paying any more. Such &^$$%&& logic.

That sucks big time.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #25

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Friday we stopped at a scenic overlook and watched a 5th wheel getting a tow. The gentleman chatted with us a said he had AAA and it’s been fantastic. Despite being AAA members, we had been on the fence. But after this conversation, we decided to go with AAA. This guy was having his whole setup towed to the truck repair shop, then the5th wheel unhooked and towed to the storage facility. Amazing service.
Then we have a good experience.

Seems like it's chance and happenstance. Maybe it's just about luck and the phase of the moon.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:13 PM   #26

California
I've had AAA for 30 years and never had a problem with claims with my house, cars and 5th wheel. Last year had a major trailer suspension failure. AAA towed me to a repair shop, paid for repairs ($5,000), hotel for two nights and dinners. Can't get that with any other insurance co.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #27

California
I used AAA

I was in Ozark AR from San Diego when my Chevy truck gave up the ghost. AAA sent out a tow truck but when they saw my Voltage fifth wheel they couldn’t use a lowboy. My trailer is 13’6”. So tow company used 2 trucks. AAA didn’t inform me till later that I had insurance that covered rental car hotel stay and more. I’m sticking with AAA. It was no hassle but you must keep your receipts. Plus they tow up to 100 miles with RV. Cost was very reasonable.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #28

Texas
Good Sam forever

We have used Good Sam for years, needing to use their several times around the country and have nothing but praise. They have responded to our need of service on our vehicles and the travel trailer even to finding someone to service in remote area of New Mexico. This was accomplished within an hour and they hired an outside company to take care of the situation. Coverage includes all vehicles and rv for entire family.
Efbarszcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:42 AM   #29

Texas
AAA VS Good Sam

I had Good Sam and Allstate roadside assistance. On a trip through west texas and truck broke down. I called Good Sam because previous experience with Allstate was not good. Good Sam towed the truck to a repair shop, but stated I must leave trailer as I had limped into a roadside park and they deemed it safe. I had to pay to have the trailer towed in. In my frustration I asked who was handling my Good Sam claim and the person stated they were Allstate. Good Sam had evidently contracted Allstate to handle their roadside assistance. I did not renew Good Sam and am looking for another provider myself.
2Slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #30

Michigan
AAA vs Good Sam roadside Assistance

I have owned both policies, and I think the AAA is by far the best one. For RV owners you get the AAA RV Plus and it costs about the same as the Good Sam policy. It provides unlimited towing to a repair facility for Class A through travel Trailers. I have found the AAA to be a better policy and as I said I have had both. What turned me toward AAA was when I had a blowout in Georgia several years ago, I had to wait over three hours for Good Sam because the closest truck was in Tallahassee, Fl. I had a wreak in Lexington, Kentucky and never did get a truck from Good Sam. After those incidents I changed to AAA and have never experienced that again. AAA has towing shops every where.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #31

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcvey View Post
I've had AAA for 30 years and never had a problem with claims with my house, cars and 5th wheel. Last year had a major trailer suspension failure. AAA towed me to a repair shop, paid for repairs ($5,000), hotel for two nights and dinners. Can't get that with any other insurance co.

So, for your TRAILER you have AAA roadside coverage and "repair coverage"??

I did not know they offered that. Hmmm

Will check it out.
Thanks
Bill
Old 04-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #32

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efbarszcz View Post
We have used Good Sam for years, needing to use their several times around the country and have nothing but praise. They have responded to our need of service on our vehicles and the travel trailer even to finding someone to service in remote area of New Mexico. This was accomplished within an hour and they hired an outside company to take care of the situation. Coverage includes all vehicles and rv for entire family.

Good news!
Thanks
Old 04-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #33

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Slides View Post
I had Good Sam and Allstate roadside assistance. On a trip through west texas and truck broke down. I called Good Sam because previous experience with Allstate was not good. Good Sam towed the truck to a repair shop, but stated I must leave trailer as I had limped into a roadside park and they deemed it safe. I had to pay to have the trailer towed in. In my frustration I asked who was handling my Good Sam claim and the person stated they were Allstate. Good Sam had evidently contracted Allstate to handle their roadside assistance. I did not renew Good Sam and am looking for another provider myself.

Thanks for that. I imagine there is a lot of "subcontracting" going on.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:14 AM   #34

Texas
AAA or Good Sams

We were first timers last summer. Bought a new Kodiak Ultra Light 30 footer. We were on our way from Southern Texas to San Francisco. We were about 50 miles south of Las Veges on HWY 93 when two tires blew on the same side. Luckily we did not role. We price AAA and Good Sam's (by the way our son works for AAA). We went with Good Sam's. They sent a tow truck out to tow our truck and Travel Trailer to a safe place then came out the next day and did the repair work. I am sticking with Good Sam's this summer again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180611_164327.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	5352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180611_164344.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	5353  
BigRedGrandPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #35

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedGrandPa View Post
We were first timers last summer. Bought a new Kodiak Ultra Light 30 footer. We were on our way from Southern Texas to San Francisco. We were about 50 miles south of Las Veges on HWY 93 when two tires blew on the same side. Luckily we did not role. We price AAA and Good Sam's (by the way our son works for AAA). We went with Good Sam's. They sent a tow truck out to tow our truck and Travel Trailer to a safe place then came out the next day and did the repair work. I am sticking with Good Sam's this summer again.

WOW! You guys were lucky, could have been worse. What was required besides new tires to get you back on the road?

The repair work was not covered under "road service", I imagine,

I guess the trailer had "china bombs" on it.

I have one recommendation for you. Get a tire pressure monitor for your trailer tires. I got this one from AMAZON. It works for our setup. Your mileage may vary.

YOKARO Wireless TPMS, Tire Pressure Monitoring System for Cars, Trailer, and 4 wheeled Vehicles, 4 External Cap Sensors, Black
Sold by: Yokaro US

$69.99

No longer in stock at AMAZON. So look for it elsewhere or buy something else.

Good Luck. And thanks for the info on Good Sam.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:40 AM   #36

Texas
We actually went through all five tires that came with the trailer. The fourteens were hard to find on the road, and the rim replacements were even harder. We are replacing all tire this year and going up to fifteens. They are easier to find and cheaper. We also went to all steel and got rid of the other aluminum wheels. I'll look into the suggestion of tire presser monitors. My wife suggested that we do that this year. (On a side not the two tires in the picture, they bent both axials and we had to replace them also.)
Old 04-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #37

Florida
Quote:
We actually went through all five tires that came with the trailer. The fourteens were hard to find on the road, and the rim replacements were even harder. We are replacing all tire this year and going up to fifteens. They are easier to find and cheaper. We also went to all steel and got rid of the other aluminum wheels. I'll look into the suggestion of tire presser monitors. My wife suggested that we do that this year. (On a side not the two tires in the picture, they bent both axials and we had to replace them also.)
Make sure you get the TPMS system that will handle the pressure in your tires. My tires pump to 80 so the normal systems won't work.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #38

South Carolina
Quote:
Those OEM tires are useful for one trip it seems. Get your trailer home. We managed one 2000 mile trip. Then upgraded to Goodyear Endurance. Same size, but the load range went up and the speed rating went up. And they are physically larger, even the same size.

Wow and you bent both axles. I think it's time for a " class action " lawsuit. There seems to be enough instances and evidence of inferior tires. Anyone know a good lawyer. Oops good lawyer that's counterintuitive lol
Old 04-10-2019, 03:37 AM   #39

Texas
Continuing the Saga

We went after the manufacturers of the rims and tires. The guarantee on the tires and rims has a clause that states that they are not responsible for any damage occurred by their tires damage. That statement stopped us from pursuing it. The company "Lionshead Tires and Wheels" is located in Goshen, IN is still in business and making tires and rims for all kinds of RV's, Travel Trailers, Boat Trailers, etc. Goshen is the mecca of RV sales and manufacturing. They did pay for the tires and rims I had to buy.

https://www.lionsheadtireandwheel.com/
Old 04-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #40

South Carolina
Quote:
We went after the manufacturers of the rims and tires. The guarantee on the tires and rims has a clause that states that they are not responsible for any damage occurred by their tires damage. That statement stopped us from pursuing it. The company "Lionshead Tires and Wheels" is located in Goshen, IN is still in business and making tires and rims for all kinds of RV's, Travel Trailers, Boat Trailers, etc. Goshen is the mecca of RV sales and manufacturing. They did pay for the tires and rims I had to buy.

https://www.lionsheadtireandwheel.com/

Win some lose some :-)

My opinion is that when a tire starts to go flat on a trailer the driver usually does not know it. This quickly degrades into heat buildup and tire disintegration. So the damage starts. If that is not noticed by the driver the remaining good tire starts to over heat and the situation gets worse. It happened to you and a friend of mine.

The only answer I see is number one, get a Tire Pressure Monitor. The one I bought monitors pressure and temperature. With a warning buzz if the numbers go out of the range set by me. Even with china bombs the situation may be mitigated. Also upgrade to better tires.

God Luck and have fun!