3950 Voltage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #1

Michigan
3950 Voltage

I have a 2014 voltage 3950 and while parked for the winter I noticed my "blue" shore power indicator is out. Now that I've noticed this my converter is whining. I havent went through the whole electrical system as of yet. has anyone had this happen

sgtgaryray23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtgaryray23 View Post
I have a 2014 voltage 3950 and while parked for the winter I noticed my "blue" shore power indicator is out. Now that I've noticed this my converter is whining. I havent went through the whole electrical system as of yet. has anyone had this happen

My blue LED indicator has been out/dark for a long long time. The converter is probably whining because it's working running lights and charging the battery. It should quiet down in awhile.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #3

Michigan
thanks. I think I have figured out the problem. when I turn shore power off I have no electricity what so ever. so it maybe my transfer switch went bad
Old 03-26-2019, 11:20 PM   #4

Oklahoma
I'd be more inclined to believe the battery gave up the ghost, hence the hard working converter.
It's possible the converter boiled the battery dry and is still trying to charge it.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #5

Michigan
well after responding to your reply. I did exactly that i replaced the battery, shut off shore power and turned the main switch on for the battery usage only and it worked. so now I'm back to the begining.the converter still whines with the new battery. all my fuses are good. so I'm stuck
Old 03-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Must be time for a new converter then. You could go through the trouble of checking the output of the converter before you replace it but it sounds as if that's the culprit.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:42 PM   #7

Michigan
thanks as I see it now I may troubleshoot it 1st
Old 03-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #8

South Carolina
Quote:
well after responding to your reply. I did exactly that i replaced the battery, shut off shore power and turned the main switch on for the battery usage only and it worked. so now I'm back to the begining.the converter still whines with the new battery. all my fuses are good. so I'm stuck

Are you sure it is not just the cooling fan in the converter making noise? The fan in ours is noticeable when it runs. (does not run 100% of the time.) Fans can make weird noises. Fan may be easily replaced???

Good Luck....
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #9

Michigan
ok once again. heres another question. what would make my converter go bad in my unit
Old 03-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #10

Michigan
possibly. bill, but I noticed the problem after I learned of my blue indicator on the outside of my rig has gone out
Old 03-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
possibly. bill, but I noticed the problem after I learned of my blue indicator on the outside of my rig has gone out

Are you talking about the little blue light on the end of the Cable that you plug in to your trailer from shore power??

If so, it only means the led bulb blew out. Has no effect on anything else.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
ok once again. heres another question. what would make my converter go bad in my unit

Not to be cute, but stuff breaks. Especially electronics that get beaten up by going down the road. Unless you have other electrical issues, its just time to fix or replace. Or the noise could be harmless. Or could be the fan. Power supplies (which the converter is one) usually humm or something. Hard to gauge by text........hahaha

Good Luck
Bill
Old 03-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #13

Michigan
wow really. if that's the case I am golden. thanks
Old 03-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #14

Michigan
yes I know. I appreciate all the feedback, and I didnt take it as a smart remark I just didnt know if that indicator light was an issue leading to bigger ones
Old 03-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #15

Indiana
Converter check

We have a 2012 Voltage 3905.
Couple things came to mind while reading these posts.
The blue indicator lights will not effect your converter. Mine have been out for a couple years.
If you connect to shore power and disconnect your battery. Then you will be working off the converter only when you turn on your interior lighting.
If the converter whines and then lights work it’s probably just the fan.
To reduce the load on the converter I have switched to almost all LED lights. Big difference.
You’ll notice how much less the converter fan has to run right away.
Good luck
Superburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #16

Michigan
thanks. I will start that process
Old 04-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #17

Texas
The WFCO converters are somewhat failure prone after a couple of years, if that is the one you have. I replaced mine with a Progressive Dynamics because I was told it was a quality unit by several experienced electrical type people. there are some good troubleshooting guides online to help find your problem and possibly fix it. Mine had a burned out board and it wasn't worth fooling with.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #18

Colorado
converters do go bad

Converters do go bad, particularly the cheap WFCO brand that is in many RVs. The WFCO converters often overcharge or under charge batteries. IF it overcharged and boiled the battery, then the converter might overwork itself, causing it to go bad. Another idea is that the converter is undersized for your RV, causing it to run hot, and turning the fan on a lot, wearing out the fan and making noise.

To replace the WFCO converter is fairly cheap and easy. But depending on which WFCO it is, I would consider replacing just the converter. I have good luck with Power Dynamics. If you plan on adding an INVERTER, I would get a combined Inverter/Converter from a good brand like Magnum or Outback.

Just some thoughts for you...
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:16 AM   #19

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
My blue LED indicator has been out/dark for a long long time. The converter is probably whining because it's working running lights and charging the battery. It should quiet down in awhile.
Are you sure it isn't the cooling fan needing new bearings in your converter??
23satd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #20

Location: Fulltime RVr. Where I park it. NOW: Heber/Overgaard AZ
Arizona
Trailer plug energizes truck lift fuel pump

I wonder if my converter is powering my truck lift fuel pump? I was workamping in Arizona this past winter, parked for 5 months with no problems. I have an '06 3500 ram pulling a '14 voltage 3605. When hooking up to leave after the season I plugged in the trailer and the fuel pump came on. I had fully cleaned the battery terminals a few weeks before. I have cleaned as many grounds as I can find on the truck. I wonder if there is something on the trailer that is energizing the plug. Any thoughts?

3605dave is offline   Reply With Quote