2016 Voltage3990 Cable TV splitter - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2018, 04:23 AM   #1

Nevada
Post 2016 Voltage3990 Cable TV splitter

Hello All,
2016 Voltage3990. Inoperative cable TV. Found coax cable connectors loose in cable/SAT panel. Tightened, but only worked for a few minutes. Removed vent panel beside fireplace to trace the black coaxial cable. (see photo). Removed felt covered wooden sheet in pass-thru basement. Found cable running up wall behind shower and return white coax to living room TV. Opened MB shower access port could see cables, but could Not reach OR see cable splitter (2 inputs: cable/air, 4 outputs: 4 TVs) Tested direct cable to main TV, signal worked. Air signal works, splitter OK. Splitter appears to be behind wall near or above black tank/lighting control panel. Don’t want to cut wall or ceiling unless I know splitter is there. Does anyone know? Dutchmen schematic does Not show splitter location. If I can find splitter, tightening the black coaxial input should fix problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VoltageBlackCoax1.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	4868  

xdtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:12 AM   #2

Florida
You have a schematic???

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdtandem View Post
Hello All,
2016 Voltage3990. Inoperative cable TV. Found coax cable connectors loose in cable/SAT panel. Tightened, but only worked for a few minutes. Removed vent panel beside fireplace to trace the black coaxial cable. (see photo). Removed felt covered wooden sheet in pass-thru basement. Found cable running up wall behind shower and return white coax to living room TV. Opened MB shower access port could see cables, but could Not reach OR see cable splitter (2 inputs: cable/air, 4 outputs: 4 TVs) Tested direct cable to main TV, signal worked. Air signal works, splitter OK. Splitter appears to be behind wall near or above black tank/lighting control panel. Don’t want to cut wall or ceiling unless I know splitter is there. Does anyone know? Dutchmen schematic does Not show splitter location. If I can find splitter, tightening the black coaxial input should fix problem.
Check inside your power panel cabinet there is an amp and cable loop connection for satellite in there. Your splitter is on that leg. Click image for larger version

Name:	1533033583792.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	4869
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

Nevada
Thanks. I did open that panel too, but the cable only goes a short distance before it disappears in the wall. I'm pretty much resigned to having to cut open the wall or ceiling, but I'd like to be fairly certain I'll find the splitter and it won't be inaccessible.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 PM   #5

Nevada
I have a "generic" schematic that someone previously posted. It's just a .pdf depiction of all of the components in the system, which simply confirmed there is a 6 way splitter in the system. I don't think there is an actual schematic for any of the systems in this RV, plumbing, wiring, etc.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

Florida
Sometimes a splitter is incorporated into a faceplate. They do not look like a normal splitter.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

Nevada
I'll check again. With 2 inputs and 4 outputs I don't think it can be too small. Plus I've ID'd the single black cable that leads from the cable/SAT input panel and the white one going to main TV. The SAT cables were all color coded in orange and yellow. I just wish I knew if it was in the wall or in the ceiling. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:11 PM   #8

South Carolina
RV rookie here. But know some "lectric" and technology.

I have used a stud finder with a metal finder capability in the past with some luck. In Telecom, CCTV and Security fields.

If you suspect the splitter is behind a particular wall and would not be far from the outside surface. Try the stud finder in metal search mode. Figure out how sensitive it is to the coax itself and see if you can get a bigger spike where you think it might be.

Or you can get a specialized metal finder. They can get very expensive. Here is a $30 one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zircon-M...FUscgQodHCkFQA

Gotta use some intuition and luck.

Have fun!
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:39 PM   #9

Nevada
I do have metal "stud" finder at home. (Currently RVing.) That's a good suggestion, I may be able to confine it to a much smaller search area before i open the wall. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:23 AM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
I used to have a circuit tracing tool for tracing electrical circuits, it also had a coax adapter. It would put a feed on the wire so you could track it through the walls. No clue what they go for these days, perhaps you could find someone that has one.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:27 AM   #11

Texas
I didn't see where you removed your fireplace. You might try that. Lift up the trim piece from the bottom and pull off then remove 4 screws for full under tub access. Maybe then you can find the splitter there somewhere or at least trace the cables better. I know I can see all of mine there.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 AM   #12

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I used to have a circuit tracing tool for tracing electrical circuits, it also had a coax adapter. It would put a feed on the wire so you could track it through the walls. No clue what they go for these days, perhaps you could find someone that has one.

Aaron
I've got one of these... about $20 at Lowes. It's how I traced down all my cables a few years ago.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-C...ester/50278121
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #13

Nevada
Thanks for that as well. With a couple speciality tools I should be able to narrow the area before I have to cut open the wall.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron

Good idea also! I forgot about those. Here is one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...FQIWAQodgoUKoQ
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #15

Nevada
I did get the vent off beside the fireplace and I could trace the cables up the wall between the shower and the black tank/lighting control panel. The splitter is behind the wall above that control panel OR, and it's a big or, in the ceiling above that large, wooden cabinet that houses all of those controls. I really don't want to cut into the ceiling. When I get home, I'm going to try the metal "stud" finder to help locate the splitter.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #16

Illinois
I know you want to work this out yourself, but maybe calling a cable guy out may be a better choice before cutting. I had a guy come out and he charged me only $50 at an RV park in Florida. Just a thought.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #17

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdtandem View Post
I did get the vent off beside the fireplace and I could trace the cables up the wall between the shower and the black tank/lighting control panel. The splitter is behind the wall above that control panel OR, and it's a big or, in the ceiling above that large, wooden cabinet that houses all of those controls. I really don't want to cut into the ceiling. When I get home, I'm going to try the metal "stud" finder to help locate the splitter.
It is real easy to remove the DC control panel/light switches and you can aslo see all the wiring from there. Maybe?
Old 08-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #18

Nevada
Yes I did open it; however, I could not pull it out very far. I took some photos showing the cables running up the wall higher up than the control panel. I just can't see if the splitter is in the wall or ceiling. I'm going to try the previous mention testing tools. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #19

Florida
I have one of these...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Computers-T...ax+toner+probe

Problem is that sometimes when it is connected (splitter or tv) it is difficult to trace. Works very well when it is just a plain coax. I also have the Klein test kit for coax and copper and that comes in handy also. Probe will usually find coax that is under dry wall.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #20

Nevada
I spoke to a another RVer here that previously did cable work and RV repairs. He looked at what I've found and confirmed my troubleshooting route. Unfortunately he didn't have his normal testing gear with him. I could easily run a new cable from the cable/SAT panel to the main living rm TV. The problem is, if I don't get to that splitter, the other TV's thru-out the trailer will not receive cable signals. I've got it narrowed down to very high in the wall or in the ceiling.

Tags
cable, coaxial, splitter, tvs