2003 Cub - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Denver
Posts: 5
Colorado
2003 Cub

Hi everyone. My wife and I just bought a used 2003 aerolite Cub used. It seems to be in good condition and we're excited to have our first camper!

After bringing it home and unplugging it from the truck I tested the slide and it felt very low on power. Assuming the batteries are bad or just aren't charged. So my question is: what's the best way to charge batteries on this camper? And does hooking it up to the truck provide power to the slide or any other accessories other than the running/trailer lights?

Sorry for the newby questions.... and thanks for the help!
__________________

Huntlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,894
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntlight View Post
Hi everyone. My wife and I just bought a used 2003 aerolite Cub used. It seems to be in good condition and we're excited to have our first camper!

After bringing it home and unplugging it from the truck I tested the slide and it felt very low on power. Assuming the batteries are bad or just aren't charged. So my question is: what's the best way to charge batteries on this camper? And does hooking it up to the truck provide power to the slide or any other accessories other than the running/trailer lights?

Sorry for the newby questions.... and thanks for the help!

While the RV is not plugged into shore power, the batteries will go dead due to the mysterious loads that are on the DC side. I would plug it in to shore power (even use 30 amp to 110 volt adapter if you don't run anything else). You can get them at walmart for about 5 bucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RV-Electr...&wl13=&veh=sem
__________________

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eldersburg
Posts: 293
Maryland
While you have the TT plugged into shore power, it should automatically charge the batter. Presuming you have a batter monitor panel in your TT, it should indicate if it is fully charging the battery. Once you unplug the shore power, the battery will start draining ever-so-slowly.


Use a volt meter to check your battery while it is plugged in and unplugged as well.
__________________
Matt

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Denver
Posts: 5
Colorado
Thanks for the replies! So does plugging it into the vehicle power anything besides the running lights?
Huntlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,894
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntlight View Post
Thanks for the replies! So does plugging it into the vehicle power anything besides the running lights?
charges the batteries and powers 12v items. While you had it plugged into your vehicle for transport, it charged the batteries enough for you to operate the slide.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Denver
Posts: 5
Colorado
Thank you!
Huntlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Thom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 651
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
charges the batteries and powers 12v items. While you had it plugged into your vehicle for transport, it charged the batteries enough for you to operate the slide.
Actually that will depend, do they have a 4 pin or 7 pin connector (it is a 2003 model) and it is a 7 pin, do they have the charging fuse installed in the truck (Chevy sometimes forgets them), and lastly, is there 7 pin (if that is what it is) wired for charging battery ( wire from connector to battery). If all that checks out, then hooking to the truck SHOULD charge battery at a less than 10 amp (most used charge fuse size I have seen).

Sorry, I forget which pin on a 7 pin plug is for charge.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:37 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,894
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Actually that will depend, do they have a 4 pin or 7 pin connector (it is a 2003 model) and it is a 7 pin, do they have the charging fuse installed in the truck (Chevy sometimes forgets them), and lastly, is there 7 pin (if that is what it is) wired for charging battery ( wire from connector to battery). If all that checks out, then hooking to the truck SHOULD charge battery at a less than 10 amp (most used charge fuse size I have seen).

Sorry, I forget which pin on a 7 pin plug is for charge.
pin 4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring for 7 Blade Plug.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	4741   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-blade-wiring-diagram-connector-escape-radio-diagrams-free-new-trailer.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	4742  
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:18 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Delaware
Posts: 225
Ohio
Thank you for these diagrams! I need to troubleshoot an issue with the receptacle on my van and this will help greatly. I'm not getting a charge to my trailer battery and my left turn signal isn't working (but the light does). And, yes, the battery charged and the turn signal worked last year. Wiring on the trailer was tested as good when I first noticed the problem. This will be tomorrow's task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
pin 4
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
2017 CTS16FB
2019 Nissan NV
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Popular Tags
#coleman 5th wheel 243 255bhsl kodiak 1700bh apsen trail 1700bh tv mount 1991 2018 atlas 2018 denali 2901rl 3305 ac problem aerolite aerolite 282 dbhs. 2018 air conditioning alabama atwood awnins black water tank size btu caulk caulk; gasket charger chassis coleman cub diagrams disconnect dutchman dutchman endurance 3006 dutchmen electrical electrical inverter electric conversion floor floor bounce flooring fuel station furnace gray water tank grey tank hot water heater hydraulic insert inverter kodiak cub landing gear lights bad ground switch lost panel owners manual panels propane pvc valve repair replacement rise roof brackets satellite hookup slide manual open solar specs needed structural fault switch thermarest aening tires voltage wall water heater water lines winterize wiring diagram
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×