Trying to hide a Direct TV receiver - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #1

Tennessee
Trying to hide a Direct TV receiver

Started tearing my new camper apart, having to set the receiver on the stove top just doesn't cut it. What a bunch of jack wagons, do they get paid by the amount of staples they shoot in a day? Would it kill them to vacuum out the wood dust or at least throw the wood plugs out? Any way's, i'm glad I took the wall "film" down, looks like my tv was about 3 miles from flying off the wall. Although 3/8" chipboard is probably overkill to support a tv.

Here's a few before pics. I plan on taking the two far right uprights out and running a header from left to right to support the tv mount(with a few vertical supports). Then I should have room to slide the receiver into the wall under it.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #2

Tennessee
Made some progress, now to mount the SWM box in the corner and find a way to get a coax cable routed in there. I'm thinking of cutting the wallboard an inch or so above where the box is and piano hinging it. Hopefully it looks decent. Or I could just cut out around where the box will sit, that will look more finished when the box is in use. Any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

Tennessee
Did some wiring cleanup and ran the coax cable from the back of the rv to the SWM box. Ordered an outdoor cable tv receptacle, looks like i'll be able to mount it by the taillight. I'm going to velcro down the SWM box so if it ever goes bad, I can just reach in and pull it out. I just need to get a power strip installed, then I can put the wall panel back up. That just leaves the fun part, making it look like I never did anything with trim and magic.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #4

Colorado
Did you finish the project? Interested in the finishing touch.
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash View Post
Did you finish the project? Interested in the finishing touch.
Waiting on some component cables before I close it back up. I did velcro mount the swm box to the back wall, hopefully i'll have it done by the weekend.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #6

Tennessee
It's done for now. I had to do the cutout about 1" taller than the box so I could get my arm in there if I ever need to pull the swm box out. I will probably figure out a trim piece for it, but for now it looks ok.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Did some wiring cleanup and ran the coax cable from the back of the rv to the SWM box. Ordered an outdoor cable tv receptacle, looks like i'll be able to mount it by the taillight. I'm going to velcro down the SWM box so if it ever goes bad, I can just reach in and pull it out. I just need to get a power strip installed, then I can put the wall panel back up. That just leaves the fun part, making it look like I never did anything with trim and magic.

Great looking wiring job, too bad Dutchmen can't do it right the first time. I don't think they even have a standard wiring schematic. I watched to Lance manufacturing video and was impressed that they actually build their own wire harnesses, just like we did when I was into the hot rod scene.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Great looking wiring job, too bad Dutchmen can't do it right the first time. I don't think they even have a standard wiring schematic. I watched to Lance manufacturing video and was impressed that they actually build their own wire harnesses, just like we did when I was into the hot rod scene.
Thanks, it's hard to do anything with a birds nest of wires going everywhere. I know if you wired a house like that, you wouldn't pass inspection.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:00 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Thanks, it's hard to do anything with a birds nest of wires going everywhere. I know if you wired a house like that, you wouldn't pass inspection.
So true. The thing that amazes me is we don't hear about rigs burning down due to the crap wiring.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #10

Texas
Your recent post directed me to this thread dawniewest.

Nice job. And now I can see behind my walls before removing anything.

Excellent info for me specifically. Thanks!
By the way, if you have other pictorial threads, I'm following in your footsteps.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Your recent post directed me to this thread dawniewest.

Nice job. And now I can see behind my walls before removing anything.

Excellent info for me specifically. Thanks!
By the way, if you have other pictorial threads, I'm following in your footsteps.
Thanks. Here's a shot of the outside kitchen, the speaker mounts were horrendous. Lots of room back there if someone wanted to get creative...
Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #12

Arizona
Well, I'm envious. Nice install. Wishing I could do the same but I share my DIrecTv box with the brick and mortar house. My box sits nicely in the basement. One thing I really like is the wireless mini-Genie's that use HDMI to connect to the TV's. My co-ax has no effect on the sat so we can watch over-the-air tv if we want and there is no interference.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:43 AM   #13

Texas
Quote:
Thanks. Here's a shot of the outside kitchen, the speaker mounts were horrendous. Lots of room back there if someone wanted to get creative...
Hmmm. My outside speakers are up and under the awning. Not in the kitchen area. And those upper cabinets in the kitchen are rather large and would inhibit a large screen TV. Although I guess you could squeeze about the same size as the one inside the RV. I think they changed the outdoor kitchen between our two year models?

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Well, I'm envious. Nice install. Wishing I could do the same but I share my DIrecTv box with the brick and mortar house.
I do as well, but with a seldom used room. I recently got the newer receiver with the genie for our two main rooms and just kept this one for the camper and occasional home use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Hmmm. My outside speakers are up and under the awning. Not in the kitchen area. And those upper cabinets in the kitchen are rather large and would inhibit a large screen TV. Although I guess you could squeeze about the same size as the one inside the RV. I think they changed the outdoor kitchen between our two year models?
They must have. I have no outside cabinets, just the cook stove and two drawers. I suppose they do updates every year or two, to keep interest up.